Big Rock new shock oil?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info on this so far. I just unboxed my new BRCC and am a bit disappointed with the chassis slap in the front just dropping it from a couple feet off the ground. It was the first thing I did after pulling it out of the box and was surprised when it smacked onto the hardwood.

If I'm reading this right it looks like there are three options. #1 - Add in some of the preload spacers that came in the box. #2 - Replace the springs for aftermarket or #3 - Replace the shock oil with heavier weight oil.

Would one of the options be better than the others? Is there a "right way" to do this? Maybe a combination of all three?

Sorry if this is a basic question. I tried searching for it but the results are swamped with advise about the shock issues on earlier versions.

Thanks for the info on this so far. I just unboxed my new BRCC and am a bit disappointed with the chassis slap in the front just dropping it from a couple feet off the ground. It was the first thing I did after pulling it out of the box and was surprised when it smacked onto the hardwood.

If I'm reading this right it looks like there are three options. #1 - Add in some of the preload spacers that came in the box. #2 - Replace the springs for aftermarket or #3 - Replace the shock oil with heavier weight oil.

Would one of the options be better than the others? Is there a "right way" to do this? Maybe a combination of all three?

Sorry if this is a basic question. I tried searching for it but the results are swamped with advise about the shock issues on earlier versions.
Correct, you have several options. I’d add preload spacers first and see if this solves your issue. I didn’t care for the smaller plastic shocks much, I upgraded to HR bodies and later just added Typhon 6s shocks. Good luck with your new rig!🤟🏼

U Need chassis slap!!!. Many feel like you in the beginning. But it is important for the suspension to drop like that. It prevents damage to the shocks and towers and other areas of the chassis. The chassis is plastic for a reason and flexes. Designed to hit the ground. NP. :cool: 🤷‍♂️
These are not like real scale cars. These are basher RC's.

U Need chassis slap!!!. Many feel like you in the beginning. But it is important for the suspension to drop like that. It prevents damage to the shocks and towers and other areas of the chassis. The chassis is plastic for a reason and flexes. Designed to hit the ground. NP. :cool: 🤷‍♂️
These are not like real scale cars. These are basher RC's.
I understand the need for chassis slap (basically the equivalent of a bump stop on full size vehicles) but I didn't expect it from just a couple feet off the ground. Dropping from any significant height it will blow through that like nothing and almost all the energy will be transferred to the rigid chassis. I just expected it would take a lot more vertical to get to it.

I now use 90mm springs in front and 95mm rear. Just removed some of the shock spacers so these springs would fit and ok stiffnes.
I feel these shocks are stiff enough now. More stiffnes and I believe parts would just start to break, when jumping high.
There is some less chassis slap. But if I drop the car from about 50-70cm you will get some.
Note also the body shell slap against the body side guard, not always the chassis to the ground.
I made a new video with this setup. And 1000cst=80wt shock oil both front and rear.
Will use this setup for some time. Interesting to see what will break first one day :)

Notice at the end when driving without the body shell it is less slap sound. Because no body shell to slap against the body side guards.
But less speed and shorter jumps also.

Last edited:
I now use 90mm springs in front and 95mm rear. Just removed some of the shock spacers so these springs would fit and ok stiffnes.
I feel these shocks are stiff enough now. More stiffnes and I believe parts would just start to break, when jumping high.
There is some less chassis slap. But if I drop the car from about 50-70cm you will get some.
Note also the body shell slap against the body side guard, not always the chassis to the ground.
I made a new video with this setup. In the video it says 80mm and 90mm springs, but that is wrong.
And 1000cst=80wt shock oil both front and rear. Will use this setup for some time. Interesting to see what will break first one day :)

Notice at the end when driving without the body shell it is less slap sound. Because no body shell to slap against the body side guards.
But less speed and shorter jumps also.

I also noticed that Big Rock V3 body mounts are too short. Shell slaps against side guards and also againts bumpers.

I already ordered Granite V3 body mount set but it sits little too high so have to cut them little shorter, then I think it is perfect.

I also noticed that Big Rock V3 body mounts are too short. Shell slaps against side guards and also againts bumpers.

I already ordered Granite V3 body mount set but it sits little too high so have to cut them little shorter, then I think it is perfect.
Do you have the model number for the body mount set you got? I'm wondering about swapping to a different body style and I'm looking for mounts that are taller than stock. How much taller would you say those rear mounts are compared to stock?

I understand the need for chassis slap (basically the equivalent of a bump stop on full size vehicles) but I didn't expect it from just a couple feet off the ground. Dropping from any significant height it will blow through that like nothing and almost all the energy will be transferred to the rigid chassis. I just expected it would take a lot more vertical to get to it.
That was my point that the chassis is plastic and flexes. Chassis slap is a NON issue by design. To inhibit that will break many other parts especially those weak stock shocks. Many use the Typhon 6s shocks. And may even go a bit thinner oil in them for the lighter Weight of a 4x4.

Do you have the model number for the body mount set you got? I'm wondering about swapping to a different body style and I'm looking for mounts that are taller than stock. How much taller would you say those rear mounts are compared to stock?
I don't have parts in my hands right now so I can not measure exact difference but part number is this:
https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/ARA320606

Granite V3 version. Don't buy Granite V2 version because it is same or at least near same than Big Rock V3 body mount.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back