Talion New Talion owner. what maintenance after 2 weeks of runs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAWS

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Senton 6s
  3. Talion
  4. Typhon 6s
  5. Voltage
I finally got back into the hobby after 3 years. I sold my Platinum Slash 4x4 and bought the Talion. I admit, it's the nicest rc I've ever owned.

I guess my question is...do I need to lube or grease anything after a couple weeks of running? I live in Florida so I'm running mostly in sand/dirt and grass. My last run I thought I heard some squeaking. If it was the bearings, what would be safe to use?

Also had one of the deans connectors fail so one of the wires (loop) got slashed by the motor. are the wires replaceable from the esc? I soldered the wires back together, but it seems to have lost some power. took one of my lipos with it.

thanks for any info!!!

Like any ofher rc
Check everything gearings bearings hubs nuts bolts
Etc.

Those deans connectors arent the real one (i heard)
Replace them

I finally got back into the hobby after 3 years. I sold my Platinum Slash 4x4 and bought the Talion. I admit, it's the nicest rc I've ever owned.

I guess my question is...do I need to lube or grease anything after a couple weeks of running? I live in Florida so I'm running mostly in sand/dirt and grass. My last run I thought I heard some squeaking. If it was the bearings, what would be safe to use?

Also had one of the deans connectors fail so one of the wires (loop) got slashed by the motor. are the wires replaceable from the ESC? I soldered the wires back together, but it seems to have lost some power. took one of my lipos with it.

thanks for any info!!!

Hmm Im wondering that you have issues with the Deans Connector...I have mine since Nov. and been running in snow, rain, mud etc. but never had any issue with the deans... If you want higher quality connectors, go with the XT90 Connectors

I have to admit I've never used deans before. Every time I would hook up a lipo it would spark. Not sure if that's normal or not. ok thanks...I'll look into changing them out.

Contact arrma and asked them to replace your esc because of the wrong connector. It was a workmanship fault and they should replace it.

I have to admit I've never used deans before. Every time I would hook up a LiPo it would spark. Not sure if that's normal or not. ok thanks...I'll look into changing them out.

Does it have a on and off switch on it
If it doesn't have then thats normal

But if you have on and off switch make sure its off then plugged it in
But if its off and when you plugged it in still have sparks
Somethings wrong

I've had sparks like this on both my Talion and my Associated Rival, it's not uncommon when your connecting larger batteries like 4s and 6s setups. this has never caused a problem for me it's just due to the amount of power in the battery when your completing a circuit (even if the power is off).

Edit 1: Forgot to add, don't forget to check your gear mesh after when your tightening up anything the may have come loose.

Last edited:
yeah a quick snap or pop when your connecting isn't unheard of it's basically like a form of static electricity built up due to rubbing your socks on carpet. now if your getting melting or blackening of the metal or material around your connectors i would look and see if you don't have a faulty soldering job somewhere

Also had one of the deans connectors fail so one of the wires (loop) got slashed by the motor. are the wires replaceable from the esc? I soldered the wires back together, but it seems to have lost some power. took one of my lipos with it.

thanks for any info!!!

I would say clean it and apply lube.

Generally though, if it sparks when you connect up the batteries,even when the switch is off,it's only the residual charge that's sitting in the capacitors that's creating the spark. It doesn't happen every time fortunately.

Congrats on the new buggy. I was in your shoes just a few months ago, except far longer out of the hobby. These things are pretty remarkable.

I would pick up a bearing kit for when one goes out or gets "crunchy". Aside from that, check out some of the videos on servicing/changing diff fluids, it can totally transform the way these things drive. Make sure everything is staying tight and clean, and you'll be in good shape!!

If I run in anything *but* dirt/clay I'll usually do what is shown in that video, namely compressed air, damp cloth, and a very light lube.

If It's very dusty and the dust is caking onto the oily 'parts', or its muddy - I'll actually use a slow trickle from the hose and rinse everything (yes everything) down first, then I'll go over it with a rag to dry and get anything left. I'll let it dry a few hours first, then hit it with a little lube.

I've been doing 'hose downs' since over a decade a go (back when electrics were 'not' waterproof) and as far as I am concerned, any long-term use of a water wash is better than the long term damage of letting dust build up in my bearings, hubs, pivot balls, etc.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back