New Talion - Steering trouble

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timson

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
Hello all!

New to the forum and new to Arrma vehicles.
I used to race 1/10th buggies many years ago and have dabbled on and off with RC cars for years... however I have never come across a problem like this with my new Talion..

When first powering it up the servo turned hard left. I checked the trim on the transmitter, which was all centered. I then used the trim dial to centre the steering but this resulted in no longer being able to achieve full right lock as the servo reached the end of its travel prematurely.
I assumed that the steering horn had been attached without being centered, so I re set my trim and moved the steering horn round a few splines to achieve centered steering. This all seemed to work fine after this. I took the car out and I everything worked as it should for a while until suddenly the steering randomly went full left lock again and stayed there. This appears to be its new default centred position. (Which is probably back to factory set centre)
There appears to be something wrong with the servo which randomly sets itself off centre. I can’t keep changing the steering horn position as this doesn’t fix the issue - which as demonstrated can at anytime right itself or revert to offset at anytime. This simply can’t happen on a car capable of 70mph!!!

Contacted Arrma customer support and they unhelpfully told me to take it and have it Evaluated where I bought it!
This isn’t going to happen as I ordered it online in about the only place I could still find on in the U.K. which is the other end of the country.. Plus everything is shut and still in lockdown for the Coronavirus.

Anyone have any insight into where the problem lies?
I have a new TX/RX and servo on the way to replace the poor radio gear that it comes with. In the mean time I’d just like to be able to use the thing a bit!

Welcome to the forum. Is everything free? the pillow balls sometimes will tighten themselves up and it’s easy to miss. Everything else you did is what I’d do. Hope you get it sorted.

Hi Jimbobjr,

Yeah - There are no issues with binding steering linkage. No clicking / stripped servo noises.
I guess it could be the TX/RX at fault too!. I suppose swapping all this out when my new gear comes will eliminate all possibilities and fix me right up!

Hi Jimbobjr,

Yeah - There are no issues with binding steering linkage. No clicking / stripped servo noises.
I guess it could be the TX/RX at fault too!. I suppose swapping all this out when my new gear comes will eliminate all possibilities and fix me right up!
Sorry it’s not working properly. You shouldn’t have to do that. I’ve never owned that radio but there have been many complaints about it. The servo isn’t horrible in the talion if the stock wheels and tires are used. Maybe just try the radio gear. Once you diagnose the problem stop back and tell us what you’ve found.

The servos and transmitters are made cheaply so the rest of the truck can be nicer in the same price range. A 25-35kg amazon waterproof servo will do the job.
a flysky or dumbo rc are great starter transmitters

Another vote for servo issue. I had a Spektrum servo that would do that, very annoying. Off brand servos are cheap, and you don't have to deal with Horizon. Or spend $50-$100, and get a really nice, fast servo. When I had my Talion, I replaced the stock servo with one that has a 0.8s speed and +400oz torque - Wow, what a difference! Like you said, the stock slow servo (even when it is working right) is just not great at +50mph...

Yeah - I have a Dumbo RC 6 channel and a 21KG JX servo on order - Banggood specials ☺️
Already finding out what a pain dealing with Horizon CS is... trying to sort this via a warranty claim basically means my sending everything off for them to test. PITA!
Otherwise loving the Talion. I have a nice set of new bearings on standby - but plan to try shimming the hubs first to dial out some of the shocking wheel wobble (which doesn’t cause any problems - but just bugs me).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back