New Tires for my Granite BLX (Trencher or Badlands)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamator

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
TL;DR: I can't decide if I should get Proline Trenchers or Badlands for my Granite BLX. I want an all around tire. Reviews and opinions seem to favor both pretty evenly. More people mention the Badlands being really bad for street use and I definitely use my truck on road 30-40% of the time. Are Trenchers the way to go?

This is probably going to get long so I apologize now! I hate to make a thread on this topic as I know it's kind of a common question, I did Google this topic extensively, as well as look at threads on here on the topic, but I just feel I need a fresh thread with new points of view. (I do have another tire based thread on here.)

Being new to the forum as well as new to RC, you all have been a great help. @StephenSchandelmayer and @Steve38 in my other thread in particular.

I have a Granite BLX with the stock dboots Fortress MT tires. My thoughts to upgrade the tires started with my desire to have a tire not balloon so much when going 35+. I started looking at Belted tires and like my other thread mentions, I ended up getting some Duratrax MT Lockup Belted tires and in the end, I just don't like them. Despite the ones I got being different sizes ( a bit) and somewhat wobbly, I didn't like the feel of them. The non-ballooning portion was great, but not the end all be all I thought it would be. They are also just so stiff. I'm not sure if that's the result of the material used or due to them being belted.

Here is the terrain I have used and available to me:

1. Outside on the street in front of our condo. (Obviously a basic place to drive but easily accessible.)
2. Grassy Field near home. Just a regular park with green grass.
3. To the coast where I drive around on the sandy area where picnic tables are. It's not the full on beach, but definitely has sand, this location was one of my favorites to drive.)
4. A BMX bike course with an RC Track someone built and maintains. This is about 15 minutes away from me, so I can't go all the time, but loads of fun. It's a dry dirt track. If I could walk to this place, I'd go daily.
5. There is a field near my home that I recently discovered which is a lot of fun for kind of general off-roading. Dry brush, some gravel, dirt, etc. Just kind of your basic spot that beats being on the street which unless I'm in the mood to go fast, I find kind of boring.

With all that being said, I am really, really, really trying to decide between the Proline 2.8 MX Badlands or the Trenchers for my Granite. Just when I think one is gonna be better, I read something that turns me the other way. The trouble is they are both very well reviewed and very frequently recommended! I want an all-around tire, but not one that is really bad for one terrain.

The Badlands are acclaimed for their off-roading but everyone says to not use them on-road at all.
The Trenchers are more ok on road and pretty good off-road but from what I can tell, are maybe not quite as good off-road (But still pretty good?)

All my research just leading me back to these 2. What is the better all around tire of the two, and what is the trade off for that all around performance? I don't expect the tires to last forever, but I WILL be driving on the street sometimes and I don't want to get the Badlands only for them to wear down super fast because I did 1-2 runs on the street.

Another consideration is belted or non-belted? I was really set on Belted a few days ago and almost got Belted Trenchers before I got the Duratrax Lockups to save some money. I'm not as set on Belted as I was then, but still not opposed to the idea if the tire isn't compromised compared to a non-belted. (I'm also not opposed to belting my own tires.) I admit I don't like the firmness of the Duratrax and I think my stock tires feel much nicer. I don't know if Pro-line Belted would be as firm as the Duratrax ones though. (Ive never seen or felt Pro-lines in person.)

One last consideration that my wife of all people mentioned is the idea of getting a set of tires good for Off-road AND another set good for on-road. Despite my truck costing us WAY more than we expected, she offered me this option. It only takes a few minutes to change tires but even still, my driving sessions are often mix usage so I actually don't know if I would really benefit from different sets for different terrain. I can't see myself stopping in the middle of a sessions and changing tires.

So there you have it. I can't decide between Badlands or Trenchers (and Belted vs Non-Belted.)

By the way, does Proline mention on their site the hardness compound for each model? I found a chart showing each hardness available, but can't find which tire actually has which.

Thanks all!

Had belted trenchers on my Granite. Hated them. Sold them on this forum and went back to stock tires.

All belted tires I have tried are stiff. They will all traction roll a lightweight Granite. That is why I hated the trenchers.

Why not get some big street tires and switch between those and stock? Takes less than 2 mins to switch tires back and forth.

To start off with, I love both treads! From what I have heard the badlands get worn down fast on road (I have never driven on road with badlands). I loved the trenchers but have used both sets very little and cannot tell you about ware on them. I have no experience with belted (except what happened when I used some steel core fishing wire) but I think the result is better when you self belt (especially on badlands bc they have the best tread to belt)

But in the end my advice is get
Season 6 Episode 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation

If you go with Badlands, get the non belted ones (belted are MUCH more narrow) and wrap with a Kevlar cord or braided fishing line to stop ballooning.
And if you are set on proline, have you looked at the new 2.8 Hyrax? Had those on a 6s Typhon and they have CRAZY grip, and didn't wear very fast on street. Did have to wrap the fronts with fishing line to not balloon so much...but again, that was on a 6s Typhon....spins the tires MUCH faster than a Granite.

@Adamator

Good post...

Well I have the belted Trenchers for my Big Rock and I like them.... yes stiffer, slightly heavier but I do not get the ballooning which was my goal...so I had a focus on that mainly. I see the same performance as the Duratrax Stakkers I took off with far less ballooning and good traction on the ground over 35+ MPH.

I like the belted Trenchers but it is a love or hate...no middle...as I did the research and PM questions before I switched. I can see why people might not like them. I am not a serious basher only a medium basher, I am not a send it person, I do not do street at all nor grass...only dirt, construction areas, dirt park-like areas, etc....so I know my zone and they work well for me....nice to see it fly by or even a small jump and the tires are not pizza cutters.

Reading your post... I do not feel you will have an easy pick with one... Trenchers will be good for the road...not the best off-road with all your areas, beach, etc.... the Proline Badland will bit/dig more for your off-road fun...and I had two sets of Badlands for both my Granite and Big Rock BLX so they were awesome...still hate the balloon.

Take the wife option....get TWO sets one each you will use them and I feel for you best to cover all your areas...for me, I am limited and certain where I like to run the belted Trenchers I am VERY happy with them. This is me and my thoughts...

If you go with Badlands, get the non belted ones (belted are MUCH more narrow) and wrap with a Kevlar cord or braided fishing line to stop ballooning.
And if you are set on proline, have you looked at the new 2.8 Hyrax? Had those on a 6s Typhon and they have CRAZY grip, and didn't wear very fast on street. Did have to wrap the fronts with fishing line to not balloon so much...but again, that was on a 6s Typhon....spins the tires MUCH faster than a Granite.
Me and @HZRDOS have basically copy and paste opinions. My man guided me to the Hyrax and I thank him every bash session 🙏🏼🙏🏼

First off everyone thank you for the replies. I appreciate anyone Who read my mini novel. I know it was a bit much but I really feel context helps give advice and helps make decisions easier. :) As A few of you have said…this is not going to be an easy decision!!

Had belted trenchers on my Granite. Hated them. Sold them on this forum and went back to stock tires.

All belted tires I have tried are stiff. They will all traction roll a lightweight Granite. That is why I hated the trenchers.

Why not get some big street tires and switch between those and stock? Takes less than 2 mins to switch tires back and forth.

Traction roll is when the truck can basically flip itself, right? (Kinda cool in a weird way.) Based on your comment and a few others I have seen here and even elsewhere, there is just no middle ground for the Belted Trenchers.

Since street driving is not my preferred or primary driving location, I don’t think I would want my first aftermarket tires to be street tires. I think I’m better off with an all around all-terrain monster truck tire first.

To start off with, I love both treads! From what I have heard the badlands get worn down fast on road (I have never driven on road with badlands). I loved the trenchers but have used both sets very little and cannot tell you about ware on them. I have no experience with belted (except what happened when I used some steel core fishing wire) but I think the result is better when you self belt (especially on badlands bc they have the best tread to belt)

But in the end my advice isO get
Season 6 Episode 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation
This of course is the big question. For me, I WILL be driving on road some of the time and I don‘t to be afraid to drive my badlands on the road. Like “Oh god, I drove my Badlands down the street, they are gonna be warn out in a month, ahhhhh” kind of thing. Hahah.

You and a few others have said get both. Which I am not opposed to, but I am honestly not sure that Badlands and Trenchers would be the 2 to get simply because they aren’t THAT different. Plus like I said, I will often mix terrain driving in the same sessions. I don’t think I would want to use trenchers on the street for 5 minutes, then switch to my Badlands because I want to drive over some gravel For the next 5 minutes.

Or perhaps I am thinking wrong on how I would use multiple sets of tires? (I am new, after all.)

I see @StephenSchandelmayer reiterated the same sentiment down below regarding The Hyrax. I admit I didn’t give them much thought when I was hell-bent on Belted, but now I am completely open to them. I tried looking into them but I really can’t find much info on them! Just how new are they? From what I could find, they apparently are some Popular Crawler model recently brought to the Bashers. Looking at them on the Proline website, the list of terrain they are good for is identical to the Trenchers. So are these just Trenchers 2.0? Between Hyrax and Trenchers would I just be better off with Hyrax? How are they better than Trenchers?

@Adamator

Good post...

Well I have the belted Trenchers for my Big Rock and I like them.... yes stiffer, slightly heavier but I do not get the ballooning which was my goal...so I had a focus on that mainly. I see the same performance as the Duratrax Stakkers I took off with far less ballooning and good traction on the ground over 35+ MPH.

I like the belted Trenchers but it is a love or hate...no middle...as I did the research and PM questions before I switched. I can see why people might not like them. I am not a serious basher only a medium basher, I am not a send it person, I do not do street at all nor grass...only dirt, construction areas, dirt park-like areas, etc....so I know my zone and they work well for me....nice to see it fly by or even a small jump and the tires are not pizza cutters.

Reading your post... I do not feel you will have an easy pick with one... Trenchers will be good for the road...not the best off-road with all your areas, beach, etc.... the Proline Badland will bit/dig more for your off-road fun...and I had two sets of Badlands for both my Granite and Big Rock BLX so they were awesome...still hate the balloon.

Take the wife option....get TWO sets one each you will use them and I feel for you best to cover all your areas...for me, I am limited and certain where I like to run the belted Trenchers I am VERY happy with them. This is me and my thoughts...
There really is no inbetween when it comes to the Belted trenchers. But I love hearing the different opinions, so thank you. Funny enough, I am (at least not yet) a serious Bashers either. If anything, I am kind of a light Bashers because I have had such bad luck with my truck since I got it in June that I am afraid I’m going to break it every time I do anything remotely risky with it. Waiting for new parts to come in the mail is no fun. I don’t ever see myself as a “send it” guy.

So you didn’t want any ballooning despite not driving on road at all? Can you drive off-road fast enough to make tires Balloon? Does the stiffness of the belted tires bother you? Was there one deciding factor that made you realize the Trenchers were for you?

Totally hear the option to get both. Just if I was to get pairs, I don’t actually think the Trenchers and Badlands would be the best 2.

I know I said I have the option for 2 sets of tires, and I do, but unless it’s just too compromised in one aspect, I (at least for now) want to see if I can find one good all around tire.

Me and @HZRDOS have basically copy and paste opinions. My man guided me to the Hyrax and I thank him every bash session 🙏🏼🙏🏼
Meant to remove this quote but I am not sure how. :)

First off everyone thank you for the replies. I appreciate anyone Who read my mini novel. I know it was a bit much but I really feel context helps give advice and helps make decisions easier. :) As A few of you have said…this is not going to be an easy decision!!

Traction roll is when the truck can basically flip itself, right? (Kinda cool in a weird way.) Based on your comment and a few others I have seen here and even elsewhere, there is just no middle ground for the Belted Trenchers.

Since street driving is not my preferred or primary driving location, I don’t think I would want my first aftermarket tires to be street tires. I think I’m better off with an all around all-terrain monster truck tire first.

This of course is the big question. For me, I WILL be driving on road some of the time and I don‘t to be afraid to drive my badlands on the road. Like “Oh god, I drove my Badlands down the street, they are gonna be warn out in a month, ahhhhh” kind of thing. Hahah.

You and a few others have said get both. Which I am not opposed to, but I am honestly not sure that Badlands and Trenchers would be the 2 to get simply because they aren’t THAT different. Plus like I said, I will often mix terrain driving in the same sessions. I don’t think I would want to use trenchers on the street for 5 minutes, then switch to my Badlands because I want to drive over some gravel For the next 5 minutes.

Or perhaps I am thinking wrong on how I would use multiple sets of tires? (I am new, after all.)

I see @StephenSchandelmayer reiterated the same sentiment down below regarding The Hyrax. I admit I didn’t give them much thought when I was hell-bent on Belted, but now I am completely open to them. I tried looking into them but I really can’t find much info on them! Just how new are they? From what I could find, they apparently are some Popular Crawler model recently brought to the Bashers. Looking at them on the Proline website, the list of terrain they are good for is identical to the Trenchers. So are these just Trenchers 2.0? Between Hyrax and Trenchers would I just be better off with Hyrax? How are they better than Trenchers?

There really is no inbetween when it comes to the Belted trenchers. But I love hearing the different opinions, so thank you. Funny enough, I am (at least not yet) a serious Bashers either. If anything, I am kind of a light Bashers because I have had such bad luck with my truck since I got it in June that I am afraid I’m going to break it every time I do anything remotely risky with it. Waiting for new parts to come in the mail is no fun. I don’t ever see myself as a “send it” guy.

So you didn’t want any ballooning despite not driving on road at all? Can you drive off-road fast enough to make tires Balloon? Does the stiffness of the belted tires bother you? Was there one deciding factor that made you realize the Trenchers were for you?

Totally hear the option to get both. Just if I was to get pairs, I don’t actually think the Trenchers and Badlands would be the best 2.

I know I said I have the option for 2 sets of tires, and I do, but unless it’s just too compromised in one aspect, I (at least for now) want to see if I can find one good all around tire.

Meant to remove this quote but I am not sure how. :)
For me, the Hyrax had better grip than the Trenchers in EVERY area, but they would balloon where Trenchers would not. They have much more flex, so lot more grip and will corner well since it will flex. Also great for jumps.

Traction roll is trying to turn at speed, and it will just roll and not turn. My Granite did this with the Trenchers. I could not turn or corner sharp at all without slowing way down first. Also on hard pack dirt and grass, they would barely wheelie and just slide more than anything when accelerating hard.

The Hyrax 2.8 are only a few months old, so not many people have used them.

For me, the Hyrax had better grip than the Trenchers in EVERY area, but they would balloon where Trenchers would not. They have much more flex, so lot more grip and will corner well since it will flex. Also great for jumps.

Traction roll is trying to turn at speed, and it will just roll and not turn. My Granite did this with the Trenchers. I could not turn or corner sharp at all without slowing way down first. Also on hard pack dirt and grass, they would barely wheelie and just slide more than anything when accelerating hard.

Thanks. That’s is very helpful. I’m very tempted to try the Hyrax’s. How fast would you say you go that made them balloon? Can you say how bad they balloon compared to the stock granite tires? And on that same note, how do they feel (firmness wise) compared the the Granite Stocks?

The Hyrax actually sound a lot like the Stock tires just much better I’m sure. Any more downsides to them other than the softness you mentioned causing ballooning easier? Of
Course I could solve that with some cord.

Are they as soft as the Stock Granite Tires?

Correct... I did not want to balloon at all. I cannot drive fast enough for it to ballon on/off-road so I have not seen it balloon and they are rated for 70mph and below to hold-up per Proline. One factor outside of no ballooning for never having them they stay wide and kept their shape, ballooning #1. So my primary bashing is dirt...baseball diamond, construction lots, or a country farmyard where the yard is more weeds\dirt so you have grass that is dirt like....bad patchy lawn so mostly hard dirt...what you find under large trees where the sun cannot grow the grass.

On a fast burn with the Big Rock (primary rig of choice) or Granite, I'm running over 35+ mph the non-belted Duratrax or badlands get to ballooning or pizza cutters I had less tire on the ground so less control. It was not out of control but with the less contact esp with the front was harder to grip and get a turn or maneuver how I wanted to due to the front ballooning.

Going to the belted Trencher doing the same as above I have so much tire I get more bit and can shift the rig the way I like it. I will give credit that the MX Badland grip their ASS off they dig. The Trenchers do not dig as quickly as the MX but they do bit\dig a hair slower....this is a turn-off for some. So a rough example for a 50ft straight run in the dirt 0 to finish... MX Badlands will spin then bit\dig, wheelie, pizza cut ballon front tires in the air get me 50ft in 7secs. Now I can use more throttle control and keep it down that I have learned to do so maybe 8sec if I am not aggressive off the line. Now the Trenchers same example. Trenchers will spin, the front will stay more down or down completely so a true AWD takeoff if it wheelies most time not but no pizza cut or ballooning and gets me 50ft in 10sec. Now all those times are not true to a stopwatch but just an example of the minor difference to me for bashing means nothing. Yes, others as you see want pure power at all times so the lack of is not acceptable.

It is a TOTALLY different behavior on the grounds above from the non-belted MX Badland to the belted Trenchers. I think most like to see the wheel action of the rigs....personally I DO NOT like wheelie riding on two wheels bashing type guy...some love it. Trenchers will not give you that in my experience but I do get the same over performance of it bitting, digging, bashing like the others and I like the look of the wide tire with no ballooning in action....4 tires go to town moving earth....

Now those Trenchers made me change some things because since they are firm on grippy locations like grass I cannot flip a 180 turn at high speed...the wide firm tires bit and it will flip the Big Rock. The MX Badlands I did not have this issue since they flex more but again grass is not my area this only happens when I ran out in the park to turn it around hard coming back to my dirt.

So to our good friend HZRDOS my experience is the opposite of his if he is referring to belted Trenchers below. Like that last example, I gave....if I am in those areas I mentioned in the beginning (dirt, construction, etc) at FULL power on belted Trenchers, I can turn the TX knob as hard as I can to flip a 180 turn....the Big Rock will turn instantly around....dig dirt, rocks, leaves, stick, clouds of wonderful dust and never flip in the 180 drift turn and come back the opposite direction blazing at full power.... I can do that all day never flip....bits and turns. I do not have traction roll issues...it will turn on with those tires. On grass for me or hard surface, it will wheelie with the belted Trenchers..... NOTE: I have to be at or close to stop for it to wheelie on those harder surfaces....he is right it barely wheelies but as I said above.... I do not give a damn about a wheelie. Why I love my Losi DB Pro so much on 3S is sticks and goes...no wheelie. I have posted here asking how can I stop the damn thing from wheelies so much and was about to adjust my slipper or punch which had NO issues. Now I have the belted Trenchers which gives me the slip I need to keep the front down, yet the same grip and power I had before with no ballooning. If I ever want to wheelie....I'll just move the punch up from default... NOTE again those who are send-it types will not like the belted Trenchers. It's heavier and not the best tire for flip rotation in the air compared to MX Badlands...so again some of the dislikes come from that because a LOT of people here love the BIG jumps which is cool. You said you are not a send-it person...I love seeing Rich Duperdash but not my type of fund to send it 50ft in space... I like to jump but I am simple and not my target. Keep that in mind too when taking in feedback on this tire from others not best for jumping... It is about finding what you like....no one has the wrong or right answer for someone else.....

Again....this is all personal to what I have found I like and the belted Trenchers play right into that. I can see a lot of good people here that help me and you not liking Trenchers....MX Badlands dig earth aggressively which is impressive and they will wheelie a mile and wheelie even at speed....if that's you Trenchers is not your tire. I bought a 4x4 RC so I want to see all four act a damn fool and spit dirt and rocks and not see two tires in the air cutting pizza :cool:

Good feedback Brother (y)

For reference, here is a pic of the belted Badlands next to the stock Granite tires, and another pic with the Hyrax installed. I have never used non belted Badlands, so can't compare those.

Screenshot_20210821-071908_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210821-071929_Gallery.jpg

Glad you like the Hyrax. Those are some MEAN tires! So much grip!

Correct... I did not want to balloon at all. I cannot drive fast enough for it to ballon on/off-road so I have not seen it balloon and they are rated for 70mph and below to hold-up per Proline. One factor outside of no ballooning for never having them they stay wide and kept their shape, ballooning #1. So my primary bashing is dirt...baseball diamond, construction lots, or a country farmyard where the yard is more weeds\dirt so you have grass that is dirt like....bad patchy lawn so mostly hard dirt...what you find under large trees where the sun cannot grow the grass.

On a fast burn with the Big Rock (primary rig of choice) or Granite, I'm running over 35+ mph the non-belted Duratrax or badlands get to ballooning or pizza cutters I had less tire on the ground so less control. It was not out of control but with the less contact esp with the front was harder to grip and get a turn or maneuver how I wanted to due to the front ballooning.

Going to the belted Trencher doing the same as above I have so much tire I get more bit and can shift the rig the way I like it. I will give credit that the MX Badland grip their ASS off they dig. The Trenchers do not dig as quickly as the MX but they do bit\dig a hair slower....this is a turn-off for some. So a rough example for a 50ft straight run in the dirt 0 to finish... MX Badlands will spin then bit\dig, wheelie, pizza cut ballon front tires in the air get me 50ft in 7secs. Now I can use more throttle control and keep it down that I have learned to do so maybe 8sec if I am not aggressive off the line. Now the Trenchers same example. Trenchers will spin, the front will stay more down or down completely so a true AWD takeoff if it wheelies most time not but no pizza cut or ballooning and gets me 50ft in 10sec. Now all those times are not true to a stopwatch but just an example of the minor difference to me for bashing means nothing. Yes, others as you see want pure power at all times so the lack of is not acceptable.

It is a TOTALLY different behavior on the grounds above from the non-belted MX Badland to the belted Trenchers. I think most like to see the wheel action of the rigs....personally I DO NOT like wheelie riding on two wheels bashing type guy...some love it. Trenchers will not give you that in my experience but I do get the same over performance of it bitting, digging, bashing like the others and I like the look of the wide tire with no ballooning in action....4 tires go to town moving earth....

Now those Trenchers made me change some things because since they are firm on grippy locations like grass I cannot flip a 180 turn at high speed...the wide firm tires bit and it will flip the Big Rock. The MX Badlands I did not have this issue since they flex more but again grass is not my area this only happens when I ran out in the park to turn it around hard coming back to my dirt.

So to our good friend HZRDOS my experience is the opposite of his if he is referring to belted Trenchers below. Like that last example, I gave....if I am in those areas I mentioned in the beginning (dirt, construction, etc) at FULL power on belted Trenchers, I can turn the TX knob as hard as I can to flip a 180 turn....the Big Rock will turn instantly around....dig dirt, rocks, leaves, stick, clouds of wonderful dust and never flip in the 180 drift turn and come back the opposite direction blazing at full power.... I can do that all day never flip....bits and turns. I do not have traction roll issues...it will turn on with those tires. On grass for me or hard surface, it will wheelie with the belted Trenchers..... NOTE: I have to be at or close to stop for it to wheelie on those harder surfaces....he is right it barely wheelies but as I said above.... I do not give a damn about a wheelie. Why I love my Losi DB Pro so much on 3S is sticks and goes...no wheelie. I have posted here asking how can I stop the damn thing from wheelies so much and was about to adjust my slipper or punch which had NO issues. Now I have the belted Trenchers which gives me the slip I need to keep the front down, yet the same grip and power I had before with no ballooning. If I ever want to wheelie....I'll just move the punch up from default... NOTE again those who are send-it types will not like the belted Trenchers. It's heavier and not the best tire for flip rotation in the air compared to MX Badlands...so again some of the dislikes come from that because a LOT of people here love the BIG jumps which is cool. You said you are not a send-it person...I love seeing Rich Duperdash but not my type of fund to send it 50ft in space... I like to jump but I am simple and not my target. Keep that in mind too when taking in feedback on this tire from others not best for jumping... It is about finding what you like....no one has the wrong or right answer for someone else.....

Again....this is all personal to what I have found I like and the belted Trenchers play right into that. I can see a lot of good people here that help me and you not liking Trenchers....MX Badlands dig earth aggressively which is impressive and they will wheelie a mile and wheelie even at speed....if that's you Trenchers is not your tire. I bought a 4x4 RC so I want to see all four act a damn fool and spit dirt and rocks and not see two tires in the air cutting pizza :cool:

Good feedback Brother (y)
Great post thank you very much for all that great info. At this point one thing I’m pretty sure of is not getting belted. Whatever I get I’m gonna get non belted and then after I see how they perform, see if I want to belt them myself.

For reference, here is a pic of the belted Badlands next to the stock Granite tires, and another pic with the Hyrax installed. I have never used non belted Badlands, so can't compare those.

View attachment 164960
View attachment 164961

Glad you like the Hyrax. Those are some MEAN tires! So much grip!

Sir I am just in heaven with those belted MX Badlands on my Losi DB Pro....I am happy they made them narrow it fools the eye for a nice SC-like tire...no ballooning on Losi full power has made that rig a beast all that traction and no pizza cutter tires...

Looks good in your pics...thx

Thanks for all the replies everyone. If any one else has experience with the Hyrax, I’d really love to hear more about them.
They don’t seem like the easiest to find. amain for example doesn’t sell them online.

Last edited:
Great post thank you very much for all that great info. At this point one thing I’m pretty sure of is not getting belted. Whatever I get I’m gonna get non belted and then after I see how they perform, see if I want to belt them myself.

Totally understand.... It will work out for you....belted is not for everyone. I will leave this article with you... it sums up best for me Trenchers as well as those who will not like them....see link... but this one paragraph sums it good for me about control... most are jumpers here, not all:

Have fun and keep us, updated Brother!!! A good read for the new person with the same questions.

https://www.bigsquidrc.com/pro-line-belted-trencher-hp-2-8-tire-review/

Downsides: Hey, we have people on staff that love to do backflips, are you a backflip guy too? If you are, non-belted tires have a huge advantage in stretch for pulling off that last couple of rotations. Otherwise, if you are more about control with all four tires on the ground, you will want (read- need) to go belted.

Can anyone tell me a bit more about how Hyrax compare to Trenchers? Before I began considering Hyrax I was leaning towards Non belted Trenchers. But I get the impression Hyrax are just kind of Better Trenchers. Can anyone elaborate on that thought? (If you have experience with the 2 of course.)

Good afternoon.

I ended up ordering some Hyrax's over the weekend and they arrived today. Before I open them, I wanted to see if anyone has any other opinions. I am waiting for my 14mm adapters to come so I can't do much with them yet anyway. :)

@StephenSchandelmayer @HZRDOS

Hey guys. So I got my Hyrax’s today and after my PL 14MM RAID adapters came in, I only had a few minutes this evening to do anything with them. For the time being I only opened up one pair and put them on the back and went for a very quick test run using my 3S Lipo. Now on my truck, my 3S LiPo does wheelies much easier than my 2S when I gun it. Using the stock wheels it does a pretty much perfect wheelie and can hold it for Days. I tried to do the same thing on these and the truck flipped on it’s back! Yikes!

They have traction all right…maybe too Much. So my first question is, what can I change on my car so I can do wheelies with these like I could do on my stock tires? I figure there is a way to do a wheelie but not flip the car upside down.

Could having only put the Hyrax’s on the back affect how I wasn’t able to do a wheelie like before? I don’t see how that would matter but still wanted to check.

Secondly the tires do balloon bad, even at 75% throttle limit on my 3S. They actually balloon worse than the stock ones, which kind of surprised me. I’m still deciding if I am going to keep the Hyrax But if I do I will want to belt them.

So my question here is about the glue. @StephenSchandelmayer I know you had linked some glue but that one said it may have shipping delays to my area and I was wondering if something cheaper is available. Does it have to be that specific one? I did look on amazon but only the one you showed mentioned FLEXIBLE Ca Glue. I know literally nothing about CA glue. Would any of them work for belting, or do I need a certain type? Looking for “Ca Flexible Glue” on Amazon I get results like this and this. Are either of those the right stuff? Most don’t say “Flexible” like the one you had linked earlier.

Thanks guys

@StephenSchandelmayer @HZRDOS

Hey guys. So I got my Hyrax’s today and after my PL 14MM RAID adapters came in, I only had a few minutes this evening to do anything with them. For the time being I only opened up one pair and put them on the back and went for a very quick test run using my 3S Lipo. Now on my truck, my 3S LiPo does wheelies much easier than my 2S when I gun it. Using the stock wheels it does a pretty much perfect wheelie and can hold it for Days. I tried to do the same thing on these and the truck flipped on it’s back! Yikes!

They have traction all right…maybe too Much. So my first question is, what can I change on my car so I can do wheelies with these like I could do on my stock tires? I figure there is a way to do a wheelie but not flip the car upside down.

Could having only put the Hyrax’s on the back affect how I wasn’t able to do a wheelie like before? I don’t see how that would matter but still wanted to check.

Secondly the tires do balloon bad, even at 75% throttle limit on my 3S. They actually balloon worse than the stock ones, which kind of surprised me. I’m still deciding if I am going to keep the Hyrax But if I do I will want to belt them.

So my question here is about the glue. @StephenSchandelmayer I know you had linked some glue but that one said it may have shipping delays to my area and I was wondering if something cheaper is available. Does it have to be that specific one? I did look on amazon but only the one you showed mentioned FLEXIBLE Ca Glue. I know literally nothing about CA glue. Would any of them work for belting, or do I need a certain type? Looking for “Ca Flexible Glue” on Amazon I get results like this and this. Are either of those the right stuff? Most don’t say “Flexible” like the one you had linked earlier.

Thanks guys
You need to get another set of stock bud. So far nothing else compares. Wrap then with Kevlar and call it good. For goodness sakes, non of them are perfect. Granite tires are great! Thats why u see them on EVERYTHING. Hope u find what ur looking for sir. 👍

You need to get another set of stock bud. So far nothing else compares. Wrap then with Kevlar and call it good. For goodness sakes, non of them are perfect. Granite tires are great! Thats why u see them on EVERYTHING. Hope u find what ur looking for sir. 👍
Unexpected reply but thank you. I had no idea the Granite tires were on any other model other than the Granite! Are the Dboot fortresses that popular?

Funny enough what you said kind of did pop into my head but I’m not ready to give up on the Hyrax. I wasn’t saying I don’t like them, just that I want to do wheelies with them and not flip.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back