New Tires for my Granite BLX (Trencher or Badlands)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unexpected reply but thank you. I had no idea the Granite tires were on any other model other than the Granite! Are the Dboot fortresses that popular?

Funny enough what you said kind of did pop into my head but I’m not ready to give up on the Hyrax. I wasn’t saying I don’t like them, just that I want to do wheelies with them and not flip.
I seem to come across them alot esp in the 3s line. Lots of big rocks granites and even a few sentons. I was going to run them but caught a great deal on my badlands from a forum member.

@StephenSchandelmayer @HZRDOS

Hey guys. So I got my Hyrax’s today and after my PL 14MM RAID adapters came in, I only had a few minutes this evening to do anything with them. For the time being I only opened up one pair and put them on the back and went for a very quick test run using my 3S Lipo. Now on my truck, my 3S LiPo does wheelies much easier than my 2S when I gun it. Using the stock wheels it does a pretty much perfect wheelie and can hold it for Days. I tried to do the same thing on these and the truck flipped on it’s back! Yikes!

They have traction all right…maybe too Much. So my first question is, what can I change on my car so I can do wheelies with these like I could do on my stock tires? I figure there is a way to do a wheelie but not flip the car upside down.

Could having only put the Hyrax’s on the back affect how I wasn’t able to do a wheelie like before? I don’t see how that would matter but still wanted to check.

Secondly the tires do balloon bad, even at 75% throttle limit on my 3S. They actually balloon worse than the stock ones, which kind of surprised me. I’m still deciding if I am going to keep the Hyrax But if I do I will want to belt them.

So my question here is about the glue. @StephenSchandelmayer I know you had linked some glue but that one said it may have shipping delays to my area and I was wondering if something cheaper is available. Does it have to be that specific one? I did look on amazon but only the one you showed mentioned FLEXIBLE Ca Glue. I know literally nothing about CA glue. Would any of them work for belting, or do I need a certain type? Looking for “Ca Flexible Glue” on Amazon I get results like this and this. Are either of those the right stuff? Most don’t say “Flexible” like the one you had linked earlier.

Thanks guys
BSI IC-2000. Rubberized ca glue. I haven't tried it but that's my next one I'm going to try. Heard it's really great

Also sounds like you just need to learn to control it instead of punching it. And having them on the front will make a difference one way or another. Try it

Last edited:
BSI IC-2000. Rubberized ca glue. I haven't tried it but that's my next one I'm going to try. Heard it's really great

Also sounds like you just need to learn to control it instead of punching it. And having them on the front will make a difference one way or another. Try it
Thank you. I’ll take a look. I’m curious why you’re trying another one from the one you had linked? Does the stuff you used before still work?

As far as belting if I recall you said to wrap it a few times and then glue the ends and you do NOT need to tie them, correct? Did you follow any kind of guide when you did the belting?

Punching it is how my truck wheelies. It only does them that way at least on the old tires. I usually accelerate rather slow unless I’m trying to do a wheel

Edit: I searched Amazon for the stuff you mentioned and it came up with very similar results to just “flexible ca glue.” What thickness do I want for belting?

Is this glue the same glue used to simply glue tires or is it a bit different? I’m guessing the flexible part is important.

Thank you. I’ll take a look. I’m curious why you’re trying another one from the one you had linked? Does the stuff you used before still work?

As far as belting if I recall you said to wrap it a few times and then glue the ends and you do NOT need to tie them, correct? Did you follow any kind of guide when you did the belting?

Punching it is how my truck wheelies. It only does them that way at least on the old tires. I usually accelerate rather slow unless I’m trying to do a wheel

Edit: I searched Amazon for the stuff you mentioned and it came up with very similar results to just “flexible ca glue.” What thickness do I want for belting?

Is this glue the same glue used to simply glue tires or is it a bit different? I’m guessing the flexible part is important.
You are an interesting person. You must have drove your teachers/parents nuts.

I want to try another one because I'm curious and I like to find out answers for myself instead of relying on someone else's opinion. The one I have is still working very strong. I already answered your questions about the belting. I have no idea about thickness and I have heard it's good for gluing tires because it bond good

Thanks for all the replies everyone. If any one else has experience with the Hyrax, I’d really love to hear more about them.
They don’t seem like the easiest to find. amain for example doesn’t sell them online.

Hello Sir...

Just wanted to add an update although I know you have moved on from belted tires thought this might be of interest.

I do run the belted Trenchers as you read and enjoy but as noted it's a bag of mix here. Many "love" the MX Badlands and so did I they are GREAT. The issue I hated like most the ballooning like hell! My goal was for no ballooning kills performance for me with no tire on the ground.

Today I took my belted MX Badland HP 2.8" off my Losi DP Pro and put them on the Big Rock BLX. Instantly I did not like the look. Belted MX are narrow and even lighter than the standard MX 2.8 non-belted badland why they work well as a SC tire on the Losi. For me that took away that beefy stance I like with the wide tires on 4x4 truck...oh well let's me try this...

After a few battery packs today....lots of dirt, loose patch/dead grass, dried leaves under shaded trees and normal landscape hills to get some air...no send it. The belted MX did damn good.

I did not see hook-up or traction difference between the belted Trenchers vs belted MX. What I gained was manuveriblity with NO ballooning. Trenchers are so wide and harder you cannot turn on a dime if you are not in loose dirt or ground...they will not flex, then bite and rig will side roll and turn over. Belted MX I could turn full power in the patchy grass or anywhere, I can whip a turn L/R and it hold that and head in that direction. Narrow and nimble tires vs Trenchers moves over all the terrain with effortless agility. The added AVC performed head holding even better not that it was bad with the Trenchers....but the MX being narrow worked better with the AVC so control was wonderful.

I was blown away with the belted MX HP 2.8" and not that I will sell my Trenchers but wow. It's worth noting that the lighness in weight of the narrow MX, no ballooning at full power and the ablilty to jump and still preform like non-belted gives these an edge over the belted Trenchers in my bashing today. Since I have owned non-MX I would say they are the same in all ways minus the damn ballooning which is not there. Again, speed, traction they were the same to me for both belted tires. If I were in dirt only, the Trenchers would be solid all day. If dealing with a mix and need to turn, cut sharp corners, racing others in fun bashing, etc. you need the belted MX... I wish they had the wider look like the non-belted MX but if you are ok with the narrow tire which is similar to the stock Big Rock tire width...you want no ballooning. It's a tire worth consideration.

Bash on Sir....

Belted MX 2.8" after weekend bashing....damn they did GOOD! 14mm Proline hex I am running.
1630817656908.png

Vented and orings on the Duratrax Stakkers...still ballooned like hell....tires dug in good and moved. Very cheap but they run good. Dig in like the MX tires.
1630817779923.png

Compared size to the non-belted MX. MX are wide hook up good but balloon like hell. Only pic I could find was on the Granite but ran them on the BR on 14mm hex.
1630817932233.png

Compare the Trenchers. Heavy but a good tire no ballooning but don't try to turn at full speed in high traction areas...do not flex or give
1630818040511.png

Hello Sir...

Just wanted to add an update although I know you have moved on from belted tires thought this might be of interest.

I do run the belted Trenchers as you read and enjoy but as noted it's a bag of mix here. Many "love" the MX Badlands and so did I they are GREAT. The issue I hated like most the ballooning like hell! My goal was for no ballooning kills performance for me with no tire on the ground.

Today I took my belted MX Badland HP 2.8" off my Losi DP Pro and put them on the Big Rock BLX. Instantly I did not like the look. Belted MX are narrow and even lighter than the standard MX 2.8 non-belted badland why they work well as a SC tire on the Losi. For me that took away that beefy stance I like with the wide tires on 4x4 truck...oh well let's me try this...

After a few battery packs today....lots of dirt, loose patch/dead grass, dried leaves under shaded trees and normal landscape hills to get some air...no send it. The belted MX did damn good.

I did not see hook-up or traction difference between the belted Trenchers vs belted MX. What I gained was manuveriblity with NO ballooning. Trenchers are so wide and harder you cannot turn on a dime if you are not in loose dirt or ground...they will not flex, then bite and rig will side roll and turn over. Belted MX I could turn full power in the patchy grass or anywhere, I can whip a turn L/R and it hold that and head in that direction. Narrow and nimble tires vs Trenchers moves over all the terrain with effortless agility. The added AVC performed head holding even better not that it was bad with the Trenchers....but the MX being narrow worked better with the AVC so control was wonderful.

I was blown away with the belted MX HP 2.8" and not that I will sell my Trenchers but wow. It's worth noting that the lighness in weight of the narrow MX, no ballooning at full power and the ablilty to jump and still preform like non-belted gives these an edge over the belted Trenchers in my bashing today. Since I have owned non-MX I would say they are the same in all ways minus the damn ballooning which is not there. Again, speed, traction they were the same to me for both belted tires. If I were in dirt only, the Trenchers would be solid all day. If dealing with a mix and need to turn, cut sharp corners, racing others in fun bashing, etc. you need the belted MX... I wish they had the wider look like the non-belted MX but if you are ok with the narrow tire which is similar to the stock Big Rock tire width...you want no ballooning. It's a tire worth consideration.

Bash on Sir....

Belted MX 2.8" after weekend bashing....damn they did GOOD! 14mm Proline hex I am running.
View attachment 167438

Vented and orings on the Duratrax Stakkers...still ballooned like hell....tires dug in good and moved. Very cheap but they run good. Dig in like the MX tires.
View attachment 167439

Compared size to the non-belted MX. MX are wide hook up good but balloon like hell. Only pic I could find was on the Granite but ran them on the BR on 14mm hex.
View attachment 167440

Compare the Trenchers. Heavy but a good tire no ballooning but don't try to turn at full speed in high traction areas...do not flex or give
View attachment 167441
I appreciate the reply and your thoughts on the various tires you have tried.

I actually ended up getting another set of Belted Duratrax Lock Ups and I have been quite happy with them. I have found them to be a better all around tire than I expected. I was out today and did my first ever back flip while using them. It was awesome.

Along with the Lock Ups, I bought a pair of Dboots Fortress MTs to have a spare set to replace the stock ones, but I haven’t even opened them. The thought was to have the Lock Ups for when I know my run will be mostly on road and use the Fortress MT’s when I want a more general purpose wheel…but the Lock Up turned out to be my general purpose wheel…at least so far. I may even return the Fortresses and get some Badlands after all and keep them strictly for off road sessions.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back