Kraton New tires how to gear ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spidartanks

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Was running my Kraton for 4 minutes just practicing Wheeling with new wheelie bar.

1: it's geared lower for slower top speed than stock BUT it still gets really really HOT. To the point where the WIRES to the motor are hot.

How should I gear it. Hobby shop put the pinion in i believe it could be a 16??

2: going to replace OEM tires with trenchers will this make me have to hear different as well.

Any tips here thanks

Also running 6s batteries

Well...on 6s the engine will run hot no matter wich gear you use...but i would start with the stock 12t pinion offcourse...
But keep an eye on the temps.
Its made for 6s but like i said...keep watching the temps....you will be covered by warranty but nothing sucks more then a rc wich cant run because its needing repair...
Also...the smaller the tires, the lower the temperature...
Go ahead and try the tires out and see the difference in handling and temps...after that its just personal preference

First, you need to know how hot your motor really is. If you don't have some kind of IR thermometer, here is one for $12. I use one of these, they are great.

Now that you can check you motor temps, what are they? Safe running is (I think) up to about 160f, with 180f being critical. My Kraton with a 14t, stock tires runs about 140f. Too hot to touch for more than a second.

Back to your truck, you are running bigger than stock tires, so I would drop back to the 12-13 range on the pinion till you can accurately check the temps.

Get a thermometer, check temps, and gear down if too hot.

Thanks for the explanation. So question.

Why does aarma include the 14t pinion when going with 6s.

If I use 6s on 12t pinion would mean higher top speed?

Gear dow

Gear down means to use a smaller pinion then yes.

So if I drop to a 12t pinion for safety it will run cooler and will have a faster top speed but not as torque wheelie like right.

And yes I have temp sensor gonna get barriers for it and I should check. My assumption is the wires should not be getting that hot too touch

Its the other way around...
Smaller pinion means more torque and less topspeed and lower temps...
Bigger pinion means lower torque and higher topspeed and higher temps...

Ohhhh that makes sooo much more sense now thanks! Sort of like the front sprocket on a mountain bike.
Smaller sprocket is more torque less top speed.

That is better because I'd rather have slower top speed and more wheelie power!

Ill throw in the 12pinion asap
Thanks

With the stock tires, the truck will run fine with the 14t. However, you said you have bigger than stock tires, that changes the rollout, same effect as adding teeth to the pinion. This is why I said go to 12t and then track temps. Once you know your temps, if they are good, maybe try the 14t. Check temps again, adjust if needed.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back