Kraton New tires quick question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5AFE CRACKER

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Hey guys So.. I blew a tire the other day running 6s for the first time? totally my fault tho. I was having a blast ripping around a baseball field making huge rooster? tails with my son when I decided to be a hero and show my kid how this beast rips across water. There just so happened to be a huge puddle in the middle of the empty gravel parking lot 30-40 feet long 2 ft deep. So I decided "Hey I can totally gun it all the way across this no problem". WRONG⚠️ got about half way when she started to lift her front wheels I instantly saw ballooning on the front right tire then.... pOp out goes the foam?.. Tire ⚙️ destroyed. Wish I had video for you guys the memory alone is worth the $125 CAD I spent on my new ones (backflips btw ?) they should be arriving tomorrow via express post. So my question to y'all is what tire tips can you give me that will help with the longevity of my new ones if any? And also stupid question but how tight should the wheel nuts be is there a precise tension they should be set to when I install the new ones?

Vent your tires, sure there are threads here on it, many on YouTube. You want wheel nuts tight, no torque needed, use your own torque wrench, your hand. If they come loose after being tight, put a drop or so of blue locktight on them.

I've seen some vids and threads on venting. Just seems like a shame to have to poke holes in a set of 4 new tires if it suppose to help why is it not don't at factory? I just don't know how I feel about it. If I had another set to try with first maybe. also if venting will I need to strap also? I don't have any braided line/string. and also wouldn't venting increase ballooning? Something these tires are known for not doing.

Tires are vented stock but on the inside of the rim. These holes should be covered (tape) to avoid dirt getting into the tire and destroying them over time, in return you have to vent them externally. Rumors have it that new tires come like this but haven't seen it myself.

Your tires balloon most likely because you are on stock diff oil. As soon as one wheel lifts, all power will go to that 'lost soul' and it's typically the end of life for that tire unless you are quick to react and let go of the throttle.
You have 2 choices, learn to throttle or change diff oils.

Even after diff oils are changed, keep an eye that the tires stay glued. As soon as one comes off (sound changes) you should stop or risk damage. Simple thin CA will fix it.

Typical diff choices are 50k fr & rear and 500k in the middle. If you want more wheelie action use 30k in the back. power goes to the lowest resistance. The 500k will prevent all the power going to one axle i.e. significantly reduce the probability of having a blowout.
This mix seems to be the most popular choice, you can go up to 1M in the middle if you can't find exact values.

Hope it helps.

Awesome ? thanks! Is there a way to add the different dif fluids without removing them?

Thank you yeah just watched this video:

Cleared things up a lot I will be venting mine for sure. I do have the same pointy iron buddy was using but I also see ppl use sharpened brass To make the holes would smaller holes be better then the bigger hole the iron makes?
Thank you yeah just watched this video:

Cleared things up a lot I will be venting mine for sure. I do have the same pointy iron buddy was using but I also see ppl use sharpened brass To make the holes would smaller holes be better then the bigger hole the iron makes?
And is 2 holes enough can you do just 1 and about how far apart should each hole be?

Up to you how and how many. Main reason for having multiple is that you want water to be able to escape if you ever get them wet. Air doesn't care about amount of holes. I use a dremel tool, others use a drill, iron or the brass tube. There is no magic but careful with the drill, it will twist into the foam and potentially suck it out and damage it. I've done it with a drill and no issue unless you go high speed, just do it carefully. Size? big enough ;) Again no magic, 2-4 mm is a guide.

I do mine every 1/4 turn (4 holes) but have also done 1/2 turns (2 holes). You want to keep the balance of the tire somewhat intact i.e. 1 is wrong.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back