New to airbrushing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterG

Bench Basher
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Fireteam
  3. Kraton EXB
  4. Mojave EXB
  5. Notorious
  6. Senton Mega
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon 3s
  9. Typhon Mega
  10. Vendetta
  11. Vorteks
  12. Infraction 4x4
So after years of just buying stock pre-painted bodies or doing simple single color rattle can bodies I recently picked up a compressor, an airbrush, and some primary colors. I decided to paint up a pre-trimmed vorteks body to have at the ready for when the stock body meets its demise or if I just feel like making it look different. Mind you, I an a total noob at using the airbrush, and at times notoriously impatient. That being said I jumped right in, no practicing or adjusting to get a feel for it, no masking whatsoever and I did my painting on a cold damp day. And even though the results I achieved pale in comparison to what many of you lay down, I must say that for my inaugural run it didn't turn out half bad. Honestly, I don't see myself ever going back to using rattle cans to paint rc bodies.

Here are a few things I learned in this adventure.
1. Don't be impatient, ok this is gonna be tough for me but will so be worth it.
2. Have a plan for the outcome. This time I freehanded with a rough idea so that counts a little bit.
3. Adjust the flow before the first droplet hits the body.
4. Imperfections aren't always a bad thing. Sometimes the sticker sheets or other bolt-on items will conceal them and in some cases make it look like you planned it that way.
5. A little bit of paint can actually go a really, really long way. The long term savings will definitely make up for the startup expenses with ease.
6. Be careful not to use too much reducer.
7. Even for single color scheme paints, this is the way to go.

Ok, I'll stop typing now and just show off the finished product ( minus bolt-ons )

20230126_084624.jpg
20230126_090634.jpg
20230126_090809.jpg

Nice job...impressive for first time! 👍🏼 Looks like you used the dish soap technique to get that droplet effect on the hood..

Bravo man!!! Looks excellent to me. Can't believe that's your first air brush job. Very well done!👏👍👌
I can hardly believe it myself. Thank you, you're too kind.

Nice job...impressive for first time! 👍🏼 Looks like you used the dish soap technique to get that droplet effect on the hood..

That's where I goofed with too much reducer. But a great example of imperfections not always being a bad thing.

Nice work for your very first attempt! 🐟

I Sub'd

Thanks, there will be more to come as I've been returning to the hobby with a vengeance after a 5+ year hiatus.

So after years of just buying stock pre-painted bodies or doing simple single color rattle can bodies I recently picked up a compressor, an airbrush, and some primary colors. I decided to paint up a pre-trimmed vorteks body to have at the ready for when the stock body meets its demise or if I just feel like making it look different. Mind you, I an a total noob at using the airbrush, and at times notoriously impatient. That being said I jumped right in, no practicing or adjusting to get a feel for it, no masking whatsoever and I did my painting on a cold damp day. And even though the results I achieved pale in comparison to what many of you lay down, I must say that for my inaugural run it didn't turn out half bad. Honestly, I don't see myself ever going back to using rattle cans to paint rc bodies.

Here are a few things I learned in this adventure.
1. Don't be impatient, ok this is gonna be tough for me but will so be worth it.
2. Have a plan for the outcome. This time I freehanded with a rough idea so that counts a little bit.
3. Adjust the flow before the first droplet hits the body.
4. Imperfections aren't always a bad thing. Sometimes the sticker sheets or other bolt-on items will conceal them and in some cases make it look like you planned it that way.
5. A little bit of paint can actually go a really, really long way. The long term savings will definitely make up for the startup expenses with ease.
6. Be careful not to use too much reducer.
7. Even for single color scheme paints, this is the way to go.

Ok, I'll stop typing now and just show off the finished product ( minus bolt-ons )

View attachment 273133View attachment 273134View attachment 273136
You did good man. The unintentional splatter droplets on the hood add to the overall look. Nice fading also. Curious to see what you can do fully prepared and with your impatience curbed 😉

You did good man. The unintentional splatter droplets on the hood add to the overall look. Nice fading also. Curious to see what you can do fully prepared and with your impatience curbed 😉

Thanks ! I'm slowly building up more items for preparation, masking tape, stencils, etc. But curbung my impatientience is gonna be tougher than a full m2c build.

Thanks ! I'm slowly building up more items for preparation, masking tape, stencils, etc. But curbung my impatientience is gonna be tougher than a full m2c build.
Xanax helps with that 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I’ve been airbrushing for a while now and I’d have to say that I learn something new almost every day

It takes a LONG time to really master airbrushing..something I know I will never achieve
Lol

Great job man 👍🏼

It takes a LONG time to really master airbrushing..something I know I will never achieve
Gonna have to strongly disagree with ya on this one. I've seen your work.. You've arrived!! (y) 👏👌

Gonna have to strongly disagree with ya on this one. I've seen your work.. You've arrived!! (y) 👏👌
Ha ha
Thank you but I’m but a student in training still 👍🏼

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back