Notorious New to Arrma, 6S Notorious - loud clicking noise when moving car without power, is that normal.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybob79

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave
  2. Notorious
  3. Typhon 6s
Hey All

Hope everyone is staying safe in these crazy times.

New to Arrma (6s Notorious) and returnEd to RC hobby after years away. I previously had a traxxas slash brushed and I have noticed a big difference in the noise between cars if I move the Notorious across the floor. It makes a loud clicking noise, clunky sounding almost, forward and back. Is this just a feature of brushless motors? I only notice the sound without power or when it is moving slowly with power. No issues with performance.

I have also noticed that the center diff seems to have a lot of slack in it on each side. Is this normal? Seems like it needs a couple extra shims each side? This means that the large diff wheel can move slightly side to side against the stock pinion on motor.

Sorry if some of this has been covered before, I did spend I while looking for info on the forum. Any help would be appreciated.

Hey All

Hope everyone is staying safe in these crazy times.

New to Arrma (6s Notorious) and returnEd to RC hobby after years away. I previously had a traxxas slash brushed and I have noticed a big difference in the noise between cars if I move the Notorious across the floor. It makes a loud clicking noise, clunky sounding almost, forward and back. Is this just a feature of brushless motors? I only notice the sound without power or when it is moving slowly with power. No issues with performance.

I have also noticed that the center diff seems to have a lot of slack in it on each side. Is this normal? Seems like it needs a couple extra shims each side? This means that the large diff wheel can move slightly side to side against the stock pinion on motor.

Sorry if some of this has been covered before, I did spend I while looking for info on the forum. Any help would be appreciated.
The noise is likely the all metal drive train, metal pinion, metal diff, metal diff cups, metal axles, the magnets in the motor sitting on a metal chassis really makes a bit of noise.

Do you mean the center diff moves forward and backward? It shouldn't move a lot but it can move forward and backward maybe 0.5mm to 1mm. You can add shims if it has too much forward and backwards movement. Buy some shims 13x16x0.1 Tekno, Mugen Team Associated and many others make shims in this size any of them will be fine. Make sure that the diff still spin freely after you shim and tighten the top plate down, you do not want it to bind, this can cause your motor to overheat and also can destroy the bearings.

I don't own an arrma 6s car, but my tekno is similarly loud when driving very slow or moved by hand. I guess it's just how a metal pinion/spur combo sounds.

Thanks for the super quick reply guys, much appreciated ??

Yes the center diff moves forwards and backwards against pinion, looks like there is more than 1mm play though. I will definitely buy some shims, thanks for the recommendations.

Have to say the performance of the Notorious is incredible, even stock. Can’t stop smiling driving it (or should I say crashing it!). Soo much fun and seems very tough even though it’s all scraped up already.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back