Typhon New to ARRMA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for play in the steering, yes their is a little but i haven't been concerned about it. It drives pretty straight to me. The stock servo is decent but your servo upgrade will make a big improvement in response. I need to do this still. As for a 3.5mm allen key being needed a truly don't remember. I wanna say no? I primarily use 1.5mm, 2.0mm, and 2.5mm. Before you take a wheel off theirs a 3.0mm "i think" in the center of your 17mm hex nut. Thats required to loosen for disassembly of your knuckle. Other than that the 3 smaller sizes works on the majority of your car. Isnt it fun dropping tons of (SGD) and you still cant drive it lol. I love but hate that anticipation! Spare tires are always nice to have. Im a 50/50 basher/track guy and some aka crossbraces really helped my traction issues on the track vs the stock tires. Those are good for the grass and backyard thrills imo. I haven't broke any axle pins yet but having a spare can keep you up and running. Pretty inexpensive backup item.
Oh yea typhon! Tons of SGD spent in this rig! None of my other rigs come close man! I have Louise B-Pioneer tires and they work great for my other buggies! I also found out that Arrma provides a 5.0mm wrench for the pillow ball suspension! Luckily for me,as I do not have a hex driver that size! I'm gona look up on the aka cross race. Just a question, is the esc fan able to be remove for cleaning the heatsink? As there are always leaves and debris stuck there.
I have not run my rig yet as all my parts ain't here yet. Another question, do I need to set the EPA and servo travel now?as in, my Futaba 4PV should be coming soon, so do I install my new receiver and bind my radio before calibrating the EPA and failsafe, as well as the esc settings? Can they be done when my new radio comes or do I have to set it up with the current tactic radio provided?
Another thing I found out is that the normal savox 1210sg I bought now has a HV variant (which I am unaware of) therefore, at 7.4V it has the torque of 23kg and at 6.0v it has 20kg torque and at 4.8v it has 15kg of torque! Same item but with HV!
Here are some pics of my build missing my front brace and my servo horn which is already but have yet to install(gona zero it when my new radio comes before loctite the horn)

Attachments

• IMG_6272.JPG
    IMG_6272.JPG
    246 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_6273.JPG
    IMG_6273.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_6275.JPG
    IMG_6275.JPG
    221.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_6276.JPG
    IMG_6276.JPG
    193.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_6278.JPG
    IMG_6278.JPG
    197.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6282.JPG
    IMG_6282.JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 58
The BLX 185 ESC can't run servo at HV. I will only provide 6.0v. So you're fine. (You can use a HV servo, but it will be powered at 6.0v anyway. Just like the stock servo they include...)
I also believe you can program your ESC with any RX/TX combo. So just wait on your RX/TX.

I'm jelly of your servo mount :p Looks nice!

The BLX 185 ESC can't run servo at HV. I will only provide 6.0v. So you're fine. (You can use a HV servo, but it will be powered at 6.0v anyway. Just like the stock servo they include...)
I also believe you can program your ESC with any RX/TX combo. So just wait on your RX/TX.

I'm jelly of your servo mount :p Looks nice!
OH right! yes! I forgotten about the esc bec voltage is at 6.0v .I bought this servo thinking that its the normal one which I always bought (as shown in the pic). Which has 20kg of torque at 6.0V. dang !! even the product number is the same!
oh yea those blings, I hope they are not just for show! I will just wait on my RX/TX to come after all, cannot do anything much as it is raining for now. that is my consolation o_O

Oh yea typhon! Tons of SGD spent in this rig! None of my other rigs come close man! I have Louise B-Pioneer tires and they work great for my other buggies! I also found out that Arrma provides a 5.0mm wrench for the pillow ball suspension! Luckily for me,as I do not have a hex driver that size! I'm gona look up on the aka cross race. Just a question, is the esc fan able to be remove for cleaning the heatsink? As there are always leaves and debris stuck there.
I have not run my rig yet as all my parts ain't here yet. Another question, do I need to set the EPA and servo travel now?as in, my Futaba 4PV should be coming soon, so do I install my new receiver and bind my radio before calibrating the EPA and failsafe, as well as the esc settings? Can they be done when my new radio comes or do I have to set it up with the current tactic radio provided?
Another thing I found out is that the normal savox 1210sg I bought now has a HV variant (which I am unaware of) therefore, at 7.4V it has the torque of 23kg and at 6.0v it has 20kg torque and at 4.8v it has 15kg of torque! Same item but with HV!
Here are some pics of my build missing my front brace and my servo horn which is already but have yet to install(gona zero it when my new radio comes before loctite the horn)
The fan can be replaced on the esc. Mine just went out so its currently being replaced by arrma. Which is awesome because it cost me next to nothing! Your build us coming together nicely. Mine isnt even that nice. Your electronics questions i cant help you too much with since i really just rock the stock electronics til they fail.

The fan can be replaced on the esc. Mine just went out so its currently being replaced by arrma. Which is awesome because it cost me next to nothing! Your build us coming together nicely. Mine isnt even that nice. Your electronics questions i cant help you too much with since i really just rock the stock electronics til they fail.
No problem typhon. So i just remove the 4 screws and i can remove the fan from the esc's heat sink for cleaning?
Btw, my 4PV came today (man the manual is thick) as well as my front brace. I installed my temp sensor cable to the motor can and used the foil tape provided but it ain't sticking that well so I put on a heatsink and fan to "secure" that temp telemetry sensor. Haha.
Here are some pics of my loot. Still waiting on my t bone racing bumpers. Have not put in my HR horn and link as I am going through my new radio manual. Haha. Priorities.. . . Right .

Attachments

• IMG_6283.JPG
    IMG_6283.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_6290.JPG
    IMG_6290.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6293.JPG
    IMG_6293.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6294.JPG
    IMG_6294.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_6295.JPG
    IMG_6295.JPG
    188.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_6300.JPG
    IMG_6300.JPG
    253.6 KB · Views: 56
What is your heatsink on your motor? The Hobbywing one is too big for my Typhon but yours seems to fit nicely!

What is your heatsink on your motor? The Hobbywing one is too big for my Typhon but yours seems to fit nicely!
Hey mikuri! It's a Yeah Racing heatsink comes with two fans and high posts for better cooling but the body shell for buggy is lower than truggies therefore I did not mount the high posts. I will post a pic for u after I do a search lest you get the wrong one. It's also available in light blue(turquoise)
I posted a pic of the clearance of the fan with bodyshell. Lots of breathing space for the fan

Attachments

• IMG_6298.JPG
    IMG_6298.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6301.jpg
    IMG_6301.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 62
Thank you! I'll see if I can get one soon!
I like how it is seating low and leaves space to breath compared to the Hobbywing one. Nice find!

Thank you! I'll see if I can get one soon!
I like how it is seating low and leaves space to breath compared to the Hobbywing one. Nice find!
Cheers Mikuri;) glad to be able to share my find! it's a perfect fit for me even when I got my temp sensor cable in there. Couldv'e screwed down on the 4 screws holding the heatsink more but I don't dare to clamp it down all the way lest my temp sensor cable gets damaged.:confused:

Thank you for the warm welcome guys! noted on the heavier fluid and/or stiffer springs Mikuri! I will install my batteries and test my ride height first. ETA is 2 June.HAHA. but it is ok.i have other parts on the way too so hope all coincides and come together.
Oh yea Gozar, you have a good recommendation,is it still the same for the V2? as I thought that they had strengthen it. I am asking as I always tend to land the wrong way:(
I am going to post some pics when I am done dressing her up!
I have landed on my v2 wing mount from 3 and 4 meters straight onto it and it finally broke after a year of that sort of abuse. It didn't even break just pulled the screw through the mount, I threw I a washer a d recounted it. Don't worry man, you have one of the toughest rc cars ever produced.

Hey just an fyi i have the hobbywing fan/heatsink on mine. You gotta slightly squeeze the heatsink in a vice or with channel locks. It is a tight fit but i have mine installed with just a bit of clearance. Have zero issues with it and cools pretty nicely as well. Ive tested it and it performs. The key is to have it slightly offset and it clears the body. If mine wasnt disassembled id show you a picture with the body on. Their is a photo on it somewhere on this forum. I deleted the photo off of my phone.

No problem typhon. So i just remove the 4 screws and i can remove the fan from the esc's heat sink for cleaning?
Btw, my 4PV came today (man the manual is thick) as well as my front brace. I installed my temp sensor cable to the motor can and used the foil tape provided but it ain't sticking that well so I put on a heatsink and fan to "secure" that temp telemetry sensor. Haha.
Here are some pics of my loot. Still waiting on my t bone racing bumpers. Have not put in my HR horn and link as I am going through my new radio manual. Haha. Priorities.. . . Right .
As my esc is out for warranty since the fan died i cant say for sure if its "4 easy screws" i do know it can be replaced though. As for the tbone racing bumpers i bought the front and the enlarged rear bumper. Didnt like how it looked so i dremmeled it down some and made it look the same as the front. Ive seen one broken on a kraton before but ive did more nose dives on mine than i care to say and mine has yet to even show a crack. Definitely saved me from some broken parts. Racers don't like them since they add weight and act like a wing but they don't change things enough for me to care vs broken parts. Makes my car different from others which i like. Sweet your putting a HR Horn on your rc. You might be the first rc ever with a horn :)

Attachments

• 20170305_202544.jpg
    20170305_202544.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 46
I have landed on my v2 wing mount from 3 and 4 meters straight onto it and it finally broke after a year of that sort of abuse. It didn't even break just pulled the screw through the mount, I threw I a washer a d recounted it. Don't worry man, you have one of the toughest rc cars ever produced.
That is good to know coming from owners' themselves instead of a marketing slogan . At least I know I do not have to spend again so soon! haha!

Hey just an fyi i have the hobbywing fan/heatsink on mine. You gotta slightly squeeze the heatsink in a vice or with channel locks. It is a tight fit but i have mine installed with just a bit of clearance. Have zero issues with it and cools pretty nicely as well. Ive tested it and it performs. The key is to have it slightly offset and it clears the body. If mine wasnt disassembled id show you a picture with the body on. Their is a photo on it somewhere on this forum. I deleted the photo off of my phone.

As my esc is out for warranty since the fan died i cant say for sure if its "4 easy screws" i do know it can be replaced though. As for the tbone racing bumpers i bought the front and the enlarged rear bumper. Didnt like how it looked so i dremmeled it down some and made it look the same as the front. Ive seen one broken on a kraton before but ive did more nose dives on mine than i care to say and mine has yet to even show a crack. Definitely saved me from some broken parts. Racers don't like them since they add weight and act like a wing but they don't change things enough for me to care vs broken parts. Makes my car different from others which i like. Sweet your putting a HR Horn on your rc. You might be the first rc ever with a horn :)
hello Typhon, I had the wide ones on all of my rc buggies and truggies and this is the first time coincidentally I also ordered a smaller rear one(not the wide basher type). you are right. looks vs a lighter pocket for damaged parts is no joke haha. yes! you noticed that I am putting the HR horn though most of my pics is without my horn and link. only the first few pics which I had shared my loot, only you guys can see that HR part. the weather is bad these few days over here so I am reading up the radio manual(golly! it is thick!) so many functions to go through and I have yet to set any of it or even power it up haha. still tuning my ride. btw, the manual illustrations shows that the battery Velcro straps are on the right side but tower hobbies note2 indicates that the Velcro buckle should be on the inside of the car instead of outside near the shell( which most buggies have on the inside near the centre diff) so which is correct I know its not important lol just being thorough.(the pdf file explains clearer what I meant) I swapped the buckle to the inside though the illustrations on the manual states otherwise( I'm such a badass:cool:) haha
I hope that no debris get into the heatsink( which is impossible) then I gotta start experimenting how to take out the fan to clean the heatsink:confused:

Attachments

• arrma tips.pdf
    307.6 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
That is good to know coming from owners' themselves instead of a marketing slogan . At least I know I do not have to spend again so soon! haha!

hello Typhon, I had the wide ones on all of my rc buggies and truggies and this is the first time coincidentally I also ordered a smaller rear one(not the wide basher type). you are right. looks vs a lighter pocket for damaged parts is no joke haha. yes! you noticed that I am putting the HR horn though most of my pics is without my horn and link. only the first few pics which I had shared my loot, only you guys can see that HR part. the weather is bad these few days over here so I am reading up the radio manual(golly! it is thick!) so many functions to go through and I have yet to set any of it or even power it up haha. still tuning my ride. btw, the manual illustrations shows that the battery Velcro straps are on the right side but tower hobbies note2 indicates that the Velcro buckle should be on the inside of the car instead of outside near the shell( which most buggies have on the inside near the centre diff) so which is correct I know its not important lol just being thorough.(the pdf file explains clearer what I meant) I swapped the buckle to the inside though the illustrations on the manual states otherwise( I'm such a badass:cool:) haha
I hope that no debris get into the heatsink( which is impossible) then I gotta start experimenting how to take out the fan to clean the heatsink:confused:
Even though my esc fan gave out on me it was put through some really hard landings which is probably why it failed or the sand that gets on the track thanks to the flooding over here. I never had issues with debris getting in mine such as sticks or rocks, maybe a blade of grass here and there on the occasional front yard run and gun. I here of other users using a secondary mesh to further keep debris out. Im just not one for restriction but maybe i should be lol.

ay
imintrest in
ARRMA 1/8 TYPHON

http://www.arrma-rc.com/rc-cars/latest/typhon/blx
.........................................................................................

i fond this one in ebay.do you think itis cheap and upgrade or no.http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARRMA-1-8-T...275076?hash=item465f1a6144:g:NcAAAOSwSlBYvG5z
Id buy from towerhobbies. Its $429 then you get $40 off that right now with their ongoing coupon. I bought that charger for around $100 on amazon. Id buy a name brand battery over those that they were showing plus id look into a hardcase pack vs soft ones

Id buy from towerhobbies. Its $429 then you get $40 off that right now with their ongoing coupon. I bought that charger for around $100 on amazon. Id buy a name brand battery over those that they were showing plus id look into a hardcase pack vs soft ones

now what kind of battery i should buy after i buy ARRMA 1/8 TYPHON

i want extrem battery for compation

I want extrem battery for compation becuse i will have comation in octoer

As stated everywhere on this forum:
SMC or gensacearespammers lipo are good choices.

now what kind of battery i should buy after i buy ARRMA 1/8 TYPHON

i want extrem battery for compation

I want extrem battery for compation becuse i will have comation in octoer
Hello! And welcome to the world of Arrma! I am not sure about races,but depending on your track layout, be it a high speed track or technical track you will have to down or up size your gearing. I am more to bashing myself so I cannot really help you on that. Sorry!
As for upgrades, I did and upgrade with all HR aluminium front and rear braces, aluminium steering bellcrank ,aluminium steering servo mount and horn and link with the savox 1210SG. I had also purchased a Futaba 4PV with temp telemetry sensor and heatsink with fan from yeah racing. I had also the t-bone front and rear bumpers and mudguards (as I am setting up my ride for bashing) and installed some serpent o-rings on the diff cups on the rear dogbones as well as the front diff cup, centre and rear diff cup. Right now waiting on some other parts if not,I Guess all should have arrived lol. This hobby is poison. Once you start upgrading, you will never stop. I have not ran my car with all my upgrades yet. But I feel that it will be rewarding with all my effort worked out on the Typhon. I cannot wait to run it,but I am taking it slow checking alignment and servo travel and the esc's setup for the EPA. Gona be having a short antenna tube(shall see how) but not coming out of the car body. Right now motor is out of my car as I am having a total shakedown on all,if not the important screws to be threadlocked.
Oh yea. I also sprayed UV coating on my body shell but not on the nylon wing and dry lube on bearings from the outdrive and hub bearings as well as the front , centre and rear bearings. And as I said,I cannot wait to run it ! I rushed my build n setup for my other cars and it didn't turn out so well. Haha! Wheel nuts coming off, slack on drive train,play in steering,unequal servo travel due to minimising error when centering servo horn= too much trim on one side. All these nitty gritty stuff are magnified at speed( I Guess) so I Guess that my parts that did not come all at once was actually a blessing in disguise. I'm loving this buggy even before I run it. Hope you will enjoy your vehicle too! I'm gona start with a 4s pack for a feel of the vehicle first. (Hopefully next week).
Do not be afraid to ask as there are many helpful veterans here willing to share their knowledge and experience so you will not go through the same heartache or troubleshooting because they have went through it.
Cheers!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back