New to hobby RC... Just purchased Granite Mega

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwdm1537

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Ok, so as the subject states I'm pretty new to this stuff... had a hobby grade RC when I was maybe 12, but that was over 20 years ago so we'll not even count that =)

Just purchased the Granite Mega for my daughter and I to use.. wanted to get something we could enjoy together outside. Did a bit of research, but apparently not enough because I'm learning there are significant advantages to having a brushless system, which this is not. As far as power is concerned, it's not a big deal, at least for now. But for ongoing maintenance I'm reading a brushless system is better? First, is this true? Then second, are there any other advantages/disadvantages to having a brushed motor?

Now, one of the reasons I'm excited about getting it is the potential to do upgrades on the truck. Another thing I think my daughter and I can enjoy together... So, if I were to look in to upgrading to a brushless system, can anyone give recommendations on a motor (and other parts) that would work well with this setup, allow me to use the current remote, etc..

Lastly... Are there any other parts I should look at upgrading in the near future? I do have a better battery on the way with the truck, since the stock battery seems to provide little run time when fully charged. I'm reading it'll go 20-25mph out of the box, up to 30mph with a more powerful battery... This is plenty for us, at least in the beginning. More concerning are any parts that may be susceptible to breaking, especially since this will probably take some punishment given that my daughter and I are both fairly inexperienced.

Wow... didn't mean to have so many questions. But if anyone could take the time to answer them it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

-J

Welcome to the forum man! And very nice you started this cool hobby!

About the motor....click on the following link. Its a info section for beginners which i am building....
https://arrmaforum.com/threads/beginner-starter-info.999/

Here you find the awnsers about the motor.
I don't have any experience with the Granite, so about updates and stuff, i let other people help you out.

If you have any questions about what so ever...just ask them...we are here to help!

Have fun with the car together with your daughter!

A little late to the thread, but I also purchased the granite mega for my son.

The major advantage to brushed is that very few things would break. His six year old friends have brushed models, mainly traxxas and nothing breaks. They haven't had to replace anything and still have fun.

We upgraded the motor to vxl Brushless from traxxas and so far the only problem is a worn diff outcup that makes the dogbones pop out. Adding o rings inside the output and Axel shaft helps and a replacement is on the way. The diff is holding up quite well and though the servo seems slow I am not sure if it was that way out of the box.

Hope that helps

A little late to the thread, but I also purchased the granite mega for my son.

The major advantage to brushed is that very few things would break. His six year old friends have brushed models, mainly traxxas and nothing breaks. They haven't had to replace anything and still have fun.

We upgraded the motor to vxl Brushless from traxxas and so far the only problem is a worn diff outcup that makes the dogbones pop out. Adding o rings inside the output and Axel shaft helps and a replacement is on the way. The diff is holding up quite well and though the servo seems slow I am not sure if it was that way out of the box.

Hope that helps
here are some main upgrades people have done to them
stock servo strips so watch out for that, warranty should cover it but consider an upgrade
some people have put the traxxas brushed can which improves performance...

these are the bare minimum to keep you from spending money, warranty has you covered for the electronics... so you don't have to go for a traxxas brushed can, but servo you should keep an eye out for. I haven't experienced it myself because I have a blx which runs metal gears but many have said that the mega (and bls) servos strip easily.

hopes this helps you out to keep it running more!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back