Typhon New to rc and need some advice on a few things

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shane

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
hello all

So I am new to the rc world, and recently my brother and I got 3 arrma rc cars (1 talion and 2 typhons). I am running 4s only and I have upgraded to the optional pinion. Brother has it all standard on 4s. He pulls away but I finely catch up, loads of fun loving the rc cars!

The one main question I have right now is how hot can the motor and esc get? And hot do I "estimate" the temperature?

I love the car and don't want to burn anything out and definitely don't want to wait to get new electronics for that reason!

Will I even be able to burn anything out if only running on 4s with the 17t pinion gear ( I think it is 17)?

Will most probably run it on dirt/sand and short grass with a few "jumps".

I know there are a few upgrades that need to be done like the sealed bearings and the aluminum servo mount, thanks to my brothers research!

I will appreciate all the advice and will be asking a few more questions soon. I hope you all don't mind that?

I can't tell you how hot is too hot because I don't really do speed runs so it's not an issue for me. What I will say is that you've got well over $1,000 in cars and batteries so go ahead and drop $20 on an infrared non-contact temperature gun so you don't have to guess about motor and battery temperatures. They are cheap, easy to find and an indispensable tool for every RC car hobbyist.

@mrfurious40k thanks for that will look for one Hope to find a decent priced one here in South Africa . What would you say is a "safe" temperature to stop (in your opinion)?

@mrfurious40k thanks for that will look for one Hope to find a decent priced one here in South Africa . What would you say is a "safe" temperature to stop (in your opinion)?

I've never looked into motor or battery temperatures because I don't run my cars that hard. I bash so it's a little squirt of throttle there, a blip of full throttle here, go pick it up off it's back and put it on it's wheels to start over...I don't ever get in a position to overheat components. That's something you see more with extended speed runs or if you drive on grass a lot.

I've never looked into motor or battery temperatures because I don't run my cars that hard. I bash so it's a little squirt of throttle there, a blip of full throttle here, go pick it up off it's back and put it on it's wheels to start over...I don't ever get in a position to overheat components. That's something you see more with extended speed runs or if you drive on grass a lot.
Thanks for that. I hope someone will know and let me know. I went to the track for the first time yesterday was pretty fun just really difficult. I'm just concerned a guy was there before me and he burnt his esc out and I don't want that to happy But thanks for your help

Just like a real vehicle, you can't run full throttle for long periods or change the gearing to make the motor turn higher RPMs all the time without increasing heat production. On the throttle on the straights, off as you enter the turns, back on as you cross the apex and more throttle on the straights. You make heat on throttle and cool down while you coast. Also, don't buy battery packs with huge mAh capacity. Running too long makes everything hot. Buy more packs with smaller capacity. That way your car has a chance to cool off when the packs are empty and you're changing them out.

Just like a real vehicle, you can't run full throttle for long periods or change the gearing to make the motor turn higher RPMs all the time without increasing heat production. On the throttle on the straights, off as you enter the turns, back on as you cross the apex and more throttle on the straights. You make heat on throttle and cool down while you coast. Also, don't buy battery packs with huge mAh capacity. Running too long makes everything hot. Buy more packs with smaller capacity. That way your car has a chance to cool off when the packs are empty and you're changing them out.
Thanks for that tip. I got 2 * 2s at 7200mAh. It was a Christmas gift before I even got the car. I don't run them down completely one go. I run a few laps and let it cool and run it again.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back