Granite new to RC, need help to decide what to get

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm you from a year in the future. I bought the Granite 3S BLX as my first 1/10 scale truck. I'm about to retire my first 3s Lipo battery (probably about 100 charge cycles) and I have some info for you.

First, the good news: I have been, and am still, having more fun than I should be with this truck. Some of my latest shenanigans include launching it from a ramp on my roof, turning it into an FPV vehicle capable of chasing full-size cars down the street, and performing flashy backflips at night using LED lights. It doesn't break easily.

Next, here's my two hundred cents about owning this truck:

1- I bashed it using a 2300 mAh battery and it would last about 20 minutes, which was long enough for me (depends on personal preference, of course). I'll be upgrading to a 3000 mAh battery, and expect that will be plenty. Don't buy a cheap charger. They don't balance the cells properly, which makes the batteries last less long. Also, make sure your battery is rated to handle the 100A continuous current that will be drawn by the truck's ESC. There's simple math involved to determine this.
2- The Spektrum STX2 radio that comes with the truck, to me, is plenty good for bashing purposes. If you want to race the Granite or something, you're going to need more than just a new radio. (Read: this is not a race truck!) Swapping the radio is NOT an essential upgrade if you're just going to be bashing. I've never touched the Tactic radio, but it must be better, because people whine about the STX2 a lot.
3- A Stampede body will fit on the Granite if you drill new holes. Drill the holes on each end 7 cm from each other, and 29.5 cm between each end.
4- I did end up with leaky shocks. However, it's because my baby girl sat on my truck. Swapping them is NOT an essential upgrade until they start leaking. I used ZD racing 8001 and 8002 to replace mine. It's a little bit of work to get them on but they work.
5- My stock steering servo cooked after a month. I tried to have Arrma send me a replacement, but they wanted to inspect my truck, and the cost of shipping the truck to them from Canada was 10x the cost of the servo. I bought a cheap one from Banggood.com and haven't had a problem since. Easy to install, direct fit, 3x the specs of the stock ADS-7M. Arrma customer service is probably better in the States.
6- You really have to pull like a madman to get the power module out of your truck, or you can gently pry it out with a flathead screwdriver.
7- It handles like garbage at full speed. That's what 1/8 scale Arrma truggies are for, I imagine. Slow down before turning, or it'll finish the turn in a barrel roll.
8- I've never owned a Stampede, and can't provide a good comparative opinion.
9- Read on Lipo batteries. They are much more complicated than charging a cellphone. Once you get the hang of it, you'll feel so smart and accomplished.

Have fun! I really do.

I'm you from a year in the future. I bought the Granite 3S BLX as my first 1/10 scale truck. I'm about to retire my first 3s Lipo battery (probably about 100 charge cycles) and I have some info for you.

First, the good news: I have been, and am still, having more fun than I should be with this truck. Some of my latest shenanigans include launching it from a ramp on my roof, turning it into an FPV vehicle capable of chasing full-size cars down the street, and performing flashy backflips at night using LED lights. It doesn't break easily.

1- I bashed it using a 2300 mAh battery and it would last about 20 minutes, which was long enough for me (depends on personal preference, of course). I'll be upgrading to a 3000 mAh battery, and expect that will be plenty. Don't buy a cheap charger. They don't balance the cells properly, which makes the batteries last less long. Also, make sure your battery is rated to handle the 100A continuous current that will be drawn by the truck's ESC. There's simple math involved to determine this.
2- The Spektrum STX2 radio that comes with the truck, to me, is plenty good for bashing purposes. If you want to race the Granite or something, you're going to need more than just a new radio. (Read: this is not a race truck!) Swapping the radio is NOT an essential upgrade if you're just going to be bashing. I've never touched the Tactic radio, but it must be better, because people whine about the STX2 a lot.
3- A Stampede body will fit on the Granite if you drill new holes. Drill the holes on each end 7 cm from each other, and 29.5 cm between each end.
4- I did end up with leaky shocks. However, it's because my baby girl sat on my truck. Swapping them is NOT an essential upgrade until they start leaking. I used ZD racing 8001 and 8002 to replace mine. It's a little bit of work to get them on but they work.
5- My stock steering servo cooked after a month. I tried to have Arrma send me a replacement, but they wanted to inspect my truck, and the cost of shipping the truck to them from Canada was 10x the cost of the servo. I bought a cheap one from Banggood.com and haven't had a problem since. Easy to install, direct fit, 3x the specs of the stock ADS-7M. Arrma customer service is probably better in the States.
6- You really have to pull like a madman to get the power module out of your truck, or you can gently pry it out with a flathead screwdriver.
7- It handles like garbage at full speed. That's what 1/8 scale Arrma truggies are for, I imagine. Slow down before turning, or it'll finish the turn in a barrel roll.
9- Read on Lipo batteries. They are much more complicated than charging a cellphone. Once you get the hang of it, you'll feel so smart and accomplished.

Have fun! I really do.

Thanks for the awesome reply man! I bought two 5000mah 3s 50c spektrum smart batteries along with the smart charger so it would be easier for me. Also bought the lipo protector bag to prevent them from burning down the house! I hope to get at least 20 mins runtime with these batteries :) thanks again for the great response, can’t wait for my granite to arrive.

Have fun! I really do.
That has to be one of the best posts I've read on here. I don't have the attention span to write something that long, but good job...all true.

Im torn between the Stampede 4x4 VXL, and now that i've been researching, an Arrma truck that is cheaper that's the same if not better. After doing a little bit of research, the Kraton looks like a really cool truck, or even the Granite, which is most similar to the stampede. I know the chasis on the stampede is plastic, and probably will break, but the positive is my LHS has many traxxas replacement parts, so in theory I can easily fix the truck when it breaks. Any thoughts on which direction I should go? I don't care if the RC is super fast, and will be using it for backyard driving in grass/dirt with some street driving also. thanks in advance for your help!
I'm also new to the hobby and researched the different models, power, sizes, categories, and finally decided to purchase the Senton 4x4 BLX 3S and started making upgrades immediately. The decision was based on the type of driving I wanted to do. I also did not want to jump in driving anything faster than a 3s as I wanted to get good first. I'm very happy with my decision and I think anything you get you will be happy with. I knew I wanted either an MT or SCT. And as you mention, what you get for the $300-$400 range is far better than most other brands. Arrma wanted to make a kick-ass vehicle for $300, and they did.

Here are my upgrades:
  • Spektrum RC DX5C 5-Channel DSMR Surface Radio
  • SR6100AT Receiver
  • DS3225 25KG Coreless Digital RC Servo
  • Pro-Line Racing 3307-60 Chevy Silverado 1500 Clear Body (custom painting and decals to match the Ivan Stewart vintage racing body)
  • 12mm Aluminum Wheel Hex
  • DuraTrax Lockup SC 1/10 (12mm)
  • T-Bone front/rear bumpers

So I got my granite today, and holy poop... the thing is a complete monster on 3s!! I had SO much fun driving it, it's my first hobby grade RC and I was honestly terrified of how fast it can go. I've tried adjusting my speed on the transmitter using knob that says 25/50/100 I believe, and it doesn't seem to be slowing down at all.. am I doing something wrong, do I need to program the speed adjustments? I am using the dumbo radio that I installed. Thanks in advance for the help, and damn is this thing fun!!!

Lmao....it is fast for its size. Maybe start on 2s till you get used to it. I wouldn't mess with the throttle limit, it may hinder your progress. Learning trigger control is one of the most important things with these trucks. Learn how to wheelie when you want, not it, and jumping, and turning....all skills that require throttle control. Using 2s will make this easier. its still impressive on 2s. Its a very tough truck, but the body is kinda weak, I suggest watching Kevin Talbot on YOUTUBE. He does a indepth video on bullet proofing a body. Ive done it, a little too late, but it helps immensely.

Thats the link to the video, and this site is "more kevin talbot". It is literally shoe goo and drywall tape. Let me know of any other questions, I'm glad to help.

Lmao....it is fast for its size. Maybe start on 2s till you get used to it. I wouldn't mess with the throttle limit, it may hinder your progress. Learning trigger control is one of the most important things with these trucks. Learn how to wheelie when you want, not it, and jumping, and turning....all skills that require throttle control. Using 2s will make this easier. its still impressive on 2s. Its a very tough truck, but the body is kinda weak, I suggest watching Kevin Talbot on YOUTUBE. He does a indepth video on bullet proofing a body. Ive done it, a little too late, but it helps immensely.

Thats the link to the video, and this site is "more kevin talbot". It is literally shoe goo and drywall tape. Let me know of any other questions, I'm glad to help.
Thanks for the advice man, I was trying to reduce the speed for my 6 year old son.. I really wanted to let him drive it today but he just cant when its on 100%. I rolled it one too many times today for sure, but so far no broken parts yet thank goodness. I was trying to be gentle on it but couldnt help myself and did some jumps and stuff. I cant afford to always be replacing things :-(

Thats the beauty of that truck, its the toughest that I have, hands down. I've got 8, of all different sizes, from 3s - 6s, and it don't break. Ive done unspeakable things with it, and it don't care. Ive put new tires ( duratrax six pack ) and i love them. Way better than stock, and thats it. As far as the speed, turn your dual rate down on the remote. It will be the dial on the right on the dumbo. It's under the hood, by turning it down, it should slow the truck by reducing the range of the throttle input. Its the lower right nob. Let me know if this works for you.

Thats the beauty of that truck, its the toughest that I have, hands down. I've got 8, of all different sizes, from 3s - 6s, and it don't break. Ive done unspeakable things with it, and it don't care. Ive put new tires ( duratrax six pack ) and i love them. Way better than stock, and thats it. As far as the speed, turn your dual rate down on the remote. It will be the dial on the right on the dumbo. It's under the hood, by turning it down, it should slow the truck by reducing the range of the throttle input. Its the lower right nob. Let me know if this works for you.
I messed with that and it didn't reduce the speed at all for some reason. I thought I didnt have it connected correctly, but I couldnt get the speed to reduce at all. the only time it worked is when I put the dial to 0, and I couldnt accelerate at all.

Did you set your end points after you bound it to the receiver? Thats when you hold down the little button and turn on the truck. Let it go after 3 sec, then press it once with the trottle in the neutral position, then fully pull back the trottle, and press it again. Then fully push the trottle forward and press it. Each time you press it, you should hear the esc beep. This is also called calibration.

Did you set your end points after you bound it to the receiver? Thats when you hold down the little button and turn on the truck. Let it go after 3 sec, then press it once with the trottle in the neutral position, then fully pull back the trottle, and press it again. Then fully push the trottle forward and press it. Each time you press it, you should hear the esc beep. This is also called calibration.

Yep, I did that!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back