Granite new to RC, need help to decide what to get

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im actually not sure how much arrma product they carry, and it is soemthing I need to look into. I think im leaning towards an Arrma vehicle if they have the parts in stock. my LHS is literally 5 miles down the road, haha. I don't know, something about the traxxas draws me in, I guess its the look of the vehicle (personal preference) and I know that I always will have replacement parts. The outcast looks pretty cool, and i haven't looked into that much, is the only difference between that and the granite the 4s and 3s?
Differance between the granite and 4s platform:
-Metal spur gear vs plastic
-Biffier hubs
-bigger shocks
-longer arms
-3.8 inch wheels vs 2.8inch
-15kg servo vs 7kg
- 4s electronics
-17mm hexes vs 14mm
-worst bumper( for its fonction) than the granite
-longer turnbuckles
And biffier driveshafts

I've had both (4wd brushless versions). I think the Granite is a much better value for the money. First off, it's MUCH tougher than the Stampede. A 4wd brushless Stampede is $100 more than a Granite. The Granite is faster out of the box than the Stampede is ... Stampede requires gear changes to make it close to the speed the Granite gets to without any wrenching at all, and even with those changes you have to be careful with how and where you run it to keep from overheating the Vileneon motor and ESC. Check out JayTeeRC's Granite vs. Stampede videos on YouTube. One is a specific comparison between the two, others are speed tests and bashing sessions.

Between cost, speed, and durability, I'd pick a Granite every time. But those videos can help you decide what is best for you.

I don't have anything man, Im brand new to the hobby. The kraton looks cool but it may be a bit out of my price range, especially if I have to replace the radio plus doesn't it take two lipos?

is there a difference in the battery life between the two? I wanted to run for at least 30 minutes hopefully.
If I was you "and I was 2 years ago", I'd read every article I could on these forums about your questions. They've been answered many times in depth. Also, there are a lot of in depth Youtube reviews on lipo batteries, chargers, Armma Granite/Kraton 4s. Especially learn lipo stuff, they can turn into grenades if not used properly. Oh, and of course ask people here :) .

Don’t sweat parts, They might not be local but there out there... This Covid thing has all the parts backed up for everybody, but are getting better. Ebay, Jennys RC,Horizon and Amain. All ship fast and usually has anything i need.

So I decided to get the granite, but I’m having trouble deciding on the battery/charger and replacement for the stock radio. My budget is around $450 for everything, is that a reasonable budget for everything i need?

Depends on the charger and batteries you get. A good charger (don’t buy anything Venom) will cost $100 plus depending on model. Batteries about the same. Buy at least a 50C 5000 mAh 11.1 3 cell check out HRB brand batteries. Congrats on the Granite.... You made a wise choice!

Depends on the charger and batteries you get. A good charger (don’t buy anything Venom) will cost $100 plus depending on model. Batteries about the same. Buy at least a 50C 5000 mAh 11.1 3 cell check out HRB brand batteries. Congrats on the Granite.... You made a wise choice!
Thanks man, what about the radio replacement?

Spektrum put out a cheap but good charger for beginners, $39.99usd 50w “smart charger”

Attachments

• 3C701814-2B4B-4120-960F-740D53CF2484.jpeg
    3C701814-2B4B-4120-960F-740D53CF2484.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 31
Spektrum put out a cheap but good charger for beginners, $39.99usd 50w “smart charger”
Would a 60c or 80c 3s lipo be any good? I guess I need to research what the numbers mean, but I’ve found some cheaper batteries on amazon that aren’t 50c.

Would a 60c or 80c 3s lipo be any good? I guess I need to research what the numbers mean, but I’ve found some cheaper batteries on amazon that aren’t 50c.
Anywhere between 50-100 should be fine, I use 100c 5000mah 3s cheap amazon lipos and they’ve been fantastic so far (knock on wood)

Lol, I just lost a channel on my produo charger. Fortunately, they are sending me a new one.

I guess yours was’nt a year old?
I believe it was last year in January. They asked me to send a video of everything plugged in and the Input Vol Err message. They told me to discard the charger and a new one is on its way. ?‍♂️

Excellent. The guys at my LHS sold me that one. 'Beginner' charger is exactly the right product for me, unironically. I found out I can charge the stock Nimh that came with our toy also by changing settings and stuff. It was a good buy. I dunno about anything more serious than 5A batteries because filthy noob I am.

Well your on a Arrma forum ... So Go with any of the Arrma of your choice. There easy to work on... Parts are good. And upgrades make them better. Way better than the Stampede for sure. You have to get into the Xmaxx to even compare with the Arrma platforms. You mentioned the Kraton? Which one the 4S or 6S ? The granite beats the Stampede all day long.
Maybe look at the 3s.platform first and upgrade if need be. I have the Kraton 4s, which is basically a 3s platform with 120 ESC and 2400kv motor. Yes it can run on 3s or 4s.
Not had a monster truck or a short course truck but the truggy is ok.
I have heard really good things about the Granite 3s BLX, super tough and easy to control both on the loose stuff and in the air if jumping. Good luck, keep on bashing. Sorry

I have several Arrma trucks, broke along of parts, but i have NEVER broke my Granite BLX. It is the toughest truck on the market from any manufacturer. I have sent that thing as hard as I could, nose first into the ground, not concrete, with no issues. The drivetrain is strong enough to handle 3s all day, the 4s lineup of trucks, which uses the same internals as the 3s lineup, cannot handle 4s, so they break often. Hope this helps.

Still waiting on my Arrma granite, but I’m excited to get it! Ordered a 3s lipo to go with it and am going to run it hard with my son. I need to order a dumbo radio still, but I’m going to try out the stock radio first just to say I used it then probably end up trashing it ??‍♂? does anyone have an aftermarket body they recommend for the granite?

You will love it. Its so light, but it is a blast to run. I put some Duratrax six pack mt tires on it, cause one of the stock tires blew out. Let someone drive it, and he goosed it when it was on its back, blew a front tire. Those six pack tires are WAY better than the stock ones. They are even good on road, for an off road tire.

I know you’ve already decided on granite, but in case anyone reads this thread later on. My LHS stocks and sells Traxxas and Arrma and when I said I’m new I want the best truck and I’m willing to pay more for the Traxxas if it’s worth it they told me to buy the arrma. They also said it’s like 8-1 traxxas people buying replacement parts due to breakage. Could’ve taken my $100+ More x2 because I bought two trucks, but didn’t. Good people and I’ve rewarded their honesty and integrity by spending a hefty chunk of change during the Covid shutdowns and since.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back