Senton New to RC - Senton 3S BLX or Typhon 3S BLX

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DC chargers are fine, just get a powerful enough supply for it. Plenty of options, from repurposed PC or server supplies, laptop brick-on-a-wire supplies, to dedicated RC branded charger supplies (usually pricey and overkill for your needs).
For what it's worth, I have a DC charger but the next one I buy will be ac/dc - keeps things simpler, more compact.

Can you solder, btw?

That battery is perfect, but get 2 :)

DC chargers are fine, just get a powerful enough supply for it. Plenty of options, from repurposed PC or server supplies, laptop brick-on-a-wire supplies, to dedicated RC branded charger supplies (usually pricey and overkill for your needs).
For what it's worth, I have a DC charger but the next one I buy will be ac/dc - keeps things simpler, more compact.

Can you solder, btw?

That battery is perfect, but get 2 :)

I was sort of thinking it would keep things a little more simple to go ac/dc. I may wait and see what the hobby shop where I am getting my truck from suggests and what they have in stock. I just want to make sure I get a half way decent one as to not screw up my battery.

I cannot solder ☹ However, I do have friends that are good at that sort of thing and would probably be willing to show me the ropes. This seems like a valuable skill to have when getting into RC. I have a lot to learn in all honesty. It is a little overwhelming.

Thank you for the tip on the battery. I will pick up two then.
Trying to hunt down ammo boxes at the moment but unfortunately I am coming up short. If I tear the foam out, do you think this would be a good storage unit for the batteries? https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/stack-on-accessory-lock-box-with-key-lock-1758840p.html#srp

My first truck was a short course and I'm glad I chose it. Fun to drive, looks cool, quick to learn that wide open isn't always necessary. Tires slide well and it makes donuts. I remember doing whatever I could to get wheelies because I wanted to wheelie...added a wheelie bar etc. I loved it for a day or so when I could get the front up on demand. Then realized I wanted to prevent wheelies or at least have more control.
I like the look and with the short course you get tons and tons of body alternatives. So many new clear bodies are available for short course and cover so much ground. If you want an old school muscle car? easy on a sct chassis. Pickup truck? easy again.
I think you made a great decision with the Senton and you'll be happy with Arrma. Then when you want to change the look, easy enough with the same chassis as the Typhon. Your choice is very modular and a great start in the hobby.
Welcome to the Arrma Forum! You're in the right place, friend.

I was sort of thinking it would keep things a little more simple to go ac/dc. I may wait and see what the hobby shop where I am getting my truck from suggests and what they have in stock. I just want to make sure I get a half way decent one as to not screw up my battery.

I cannot solder ☹ However, I do have friends that are good at that sort of thing and would probably be willing to show me the ropes. This seems like a valuable skill to have when getting into RC. I have a lot to learn in all honesty. It is a little overwhelming.

Thank you for the tip on the battery. I will pick up two then.
Trying to hunt down ammo boxes at the moment but unfortunately I am coming up short. If I tear the foam out, do you think this would be a good storage unit for the batteries? https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/stack-on-accessory-lock-box-with-key-lock-1758840p.html#srp
Seems more expensive than necessary imo.
Do you have a Harbor Freight in Canadia? They offer cheap ammo boxes if you feel you need one.

My first truck was a short course and I'm glad I chose it. Fun to drive, looks cool, quick to learn that wide open isn't always necessary. Tires slide well and it makes donuts. I remember doing whatever I could to get wheelies because I wanted to wheelie...added a wheelie bar etc. I loved it for a day or so when I could get the front up on demand. Then realized I wanted to prevent wheelies or at least have more control.
I like the look and with the short course you get tons and tons of body alternatives. So many new clear bodies are available for short course and cover so much ground. If you want an old school muscle car? easy on a sct chassis. Pickup truck? easy again.
I think you made a great decision with the Senton and you'll be happy with Arrma. Then when you want to change the look, easy enough with the same chassis as the Typhon. Your choice is very modular and a great start in the hobby.
Welcome to the Arrma Forum! You're in the right place, friend.

I appreciate your sharing your experience with your truck and thank you for the warm welcome.

I can definitely see why people would like doing wheelies. I think for myself I would prefer to avoid them, at least for now, for exactly the same reasons you stated above.

We do not have a Harbor Freight unfortunately. However, you got me thinking about another place called Princess Auto here in Canada. They are similar to Harbor Freight and actually sell ammo boxes. Although, they are still expensive :(
I am not even seeing them at our Army surplus stores.

After reading through the sticky on storing lipo's I am a little paranoid. I live in a basement apartment so I don't have a lot of options to safely store them.

As long as my batteries look ok and read ok then I don't worry much. I keep em in one area though. If they look really puffy or funny, I'll store in a lipo bag until I figure out what to do next.

I like concrete/clay/stone containers. They offer thermal insulation besides being fireproof. A clay or ceramic flower pot with a dinner plate on top seems like a relatively safe place for lipo storage to me. Just keep the packs in good shape and never charge unattended (y)

Thank you for the feedback on the battery storage.
I read somewhere (I think on this site) that one person was storing/charging their batteries in their oven. I thought that was pretty interesting.

I'll take what precautions I can with the batteries. The clay/ceramic flower pots are another interesting suggestion. I appreciate the feedback.

Hoping to have the truck by this weekend.

Quick update

Got the Senton 3S BLX! It is awesome. Had some fun with it.
I was a little surprised at how much I struggled with getting used to the steering. I started getting the hang of it towards the end of my first battery.

I also hit a curb going full speed and broke the front bumper haha ?
I panicked just a bit and forgot everything lol

Fun times ahead though. Only thing meow making me paranoid is charging the damn batteries. Got my LiPo bags, but need to add a steel box of sorts.

Thank you again for everyone who responded!

Cheers
????

Quick update

I was a little surprised at how much I struggled with getting used to the steering. I started getting the hang of it towards the end of my first battery.

Fun times ahead though. Only thing meow making me paranoid is charging the damn batteries. Got my LiPo bags, but need to add a steel box of sorts.

Cheers
????
In time instinct will take over and no more panic to control your rig and hopefully no more curbs.

Just follow charging guidelines for charging and you will be alright. After a few times you will lose that paranoia and will get good at it and become a pro.

Glad you're having a blast. RC to me is a lifestyle!!

I would recommend do the first drivings on an open grassy field. not only it's very hard to damage a car there, but it will also save your tires.

Will be dong this going forward! Curbs are not an RCs friend haha.
Since it was my first run I didn't want to go to far from my home... so I went to the end of the drive way. Next time though I'll take it to the part near my house.

In time instinct will take over and no more panic to control your rig and hopefully no more curbs.

Just follow charging guidelines for charging and you will be alright. After a few times you will lose that paranoia and will get good at it and become a pro.

Glad you're having a blast. RC to me is a lifestyle!!

The weird thing was the more I thought about steering the more mistakes I made. I now have a better appreciation for the people I am watching on YouTube. They make it look easy. I'll pick it up eventually though, definitely need to run it more often.

Once I am over the paranoia of charging I should be good.

It seems like the people that are into RC are into it for life. When I was at the multiple hobby shops I saw people of all kinds, young, old, male, female. Pretty cool to see.

Will be dong this going forward! Curbs are not an RCs friend haha.
Since it was my first run I didn't want to go to far from my home... so I went to the end of the drive way. Next time though I'll take it to the part near my house.

The weird thing was the more I thought about steering the more mistakes I made. I now have a better appreciation for the people I am watching on YouTube. They make it look easy. I'll pick it up eventually though, definitely need to run it more often.

Once I am over the paranoia of charging I should be good.

It seems like the people that are into RC are into it for life. When I was at the multiple hobby shops I saw people of all kinds, young, old, male, female. Pretty cool to see.
Yep, RC fanatics come in all shapes and sizes.

Believe me, once you get a hang of driving, it becomes instinct. Your mind does not think of it, your hands do it automatically no hesitation. And once you learn it you never forget, even if you get away for years. Like riding a bicycle, you never forget, you just do it.

One day you will look back and remember what I said and tell yourself, he was right.

Hi th, (just want to add a point)
TBR could be an option;

Congrats for the Senton 3s. We swap the old Mega (above) to brushless and we don't regret it.
PL

Hi th, (just want to add a point)
TBR could be an option;

View attachment 37600

Congrats for the Senton 3s. We swap the old Mega (above) to brushless and we don't regret it.
PL

I have been looking at the TBR bumpers! I keep coming close to pulling the trigger and then I don't. Is it holding up well for you?

Quick update

Cheers
????

I have the Granite BLX 3S and has the same issues with steering. Get a better servo for the steering and these issues will be gone. Plenty of options out there.

Hi,
Yes, but we prefer Sentons 6s TBR front bumper (more flexible)
PL

Is the Senton 6S TBR front bumper fully compatible with the 3S? Or do you need to modify it in some way?
Is the Senton 6S TBR rear bumper compatible with the 3S as well?

1- Is the Senton 6S TBR front bumper fully compatible with the 3S? Or do you need to modify it in some way?
2- Is the Senton 6S TBR rear bumper compatible with the 3S as well?

Hi
1-No;

Different placed holes on chassis;

2- I don't know. Keep stock rear Senton 6s bumper.
PL

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back