New to RC trying to figure out oil filled shocks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austintunstill2

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
How can you tell if the shocks on your RC truck can be filled with oil or not? I'm new to the whole higher end RC thing. I got a cool truck for Christmas but it does not have oil filled shocks, And I'm not sure if I can fill these with oil or if I have to upgrade the shocks. How can I tell?

How can you tell if the shocks on your RC truck can be filled with oil or not? I'm new to the whole higher end RC thing. I got a cool truck for Christmas but it does not have oil filled shocks, And I'm not sure if I can fill these with oil or if I have to upgrade the shocks. How can I tell?
Can you post a picture?

Welcome to the forum! I'm new here too, but it's been a great place, with very-helpful people.

What model did you get, in case that helps someone answer specifically?

I've had models without oil-filled shocks, and models with them. Given the extra parts and complexity of oil-filled shocks, I'm going to guess that if the ones on your truck could have oil in them, they probably would. Otherwise it's probably just extra seals, etc, that wouldn't be actually offer a benefit.

I don't know how you'd go about finding oil-filled options. I'm sure folks can help explain. Maybe some measurements off the existing shocks might be enough to help find replacements.

Welcome to AF!
Nice To Meet You Nicolas Cage GIF by Nordisk Film Finland

I myself just got new shocks for my BR build and I'm not sure what type of weight to use ..I heard some say you can run them dry .not to sure on that statement but I'm curious what people say
Welcome to AF by the way🤟😁👍
Yeah never run oil shocks dry unless you enjoy them working improperly and replacing O rings every run.

Welcome to the forum! I'm new here too, but it's been a great place, with very-helpful people.

What model did you get, in case that helps someone answer specifically?

I've had models without oil-filled shocks, and models with them. Given the extra parts and complexity of oil-filled shocks, I'm going to guess that if the ones on your truck could have oil in them, they probably would. Otherwise it's probably just extra seals, etc, that wouldn't be actually offer a benefit.

I don't know how you'd go about finding oil-filled options. I'm sure folks can help explain. Maybe some measurements off the existing shocks might be enough to help find replacements.
I'm just going to order some oil film shocks for it.

Yeah never run oil shocks dry unless you enjoy them working improperly and replacing O rings every run.
So in my case I only do speed passes and many speed runners don't even use shocks.so if I wanted to run my new shocks dry what would be the harm?it's not a sarcastic question I'm asking for real

So in my case I only do speed passes and many speed runners don't even use shocks.so if I wanted to run my new shocks dry what would be the harm?it's not a sarcastic question I'm asking for real
I guess the logical question to ask would be then why don’t you just simply remove the shock and install a turnbuckle locking it up?

1673742760955.jpeg

I guess the logical question to ask would be then why don’t you just simply remove the shock and install a turnbuckle locking it up?

View attachment 270070
True that son👍 but on the street I do passes on it's not a perfect road so a little assistance helps.the new shocks I got feel really nice without any oil .I haven't put them on yet because I just got them today but will be soon later .just wanted some input.i suppose I'll throw them in and see how they work..

True that son👍 but on the street I do passes on it's not a perfect road so a little assistance helps.the new shocks I got feel really nice without any oil .I haven't put them on yet because I just got them today but will be soon later .just wanted some input.i suppose I'll throw them in and see how they work..
Yeah man….. You do you!

Remove the inner parts and seals if you want to run them dry or you'll just wear the seals out.

Non oil filled shocks will bounce the tires like a basketball.. get ready for some evasive maneuver's when she breaks loose.. 👍

May I ask..what do you suggest is a good oil weight for speed passes?
Our local highschool has a really nice running track .it's smooth and really long .I'll check it out tomorrow and if it checks out I'll give it a go with no oil in the shocks.my BR is lowered so I don't believe it will be hopping around like a basket ball .and it's heavy due to the weight I've added.we shall see .but I will add oil after I just need to know a good type

Last edited:
May I ask..what do you suggest is a good oil weight for speed passes?
Our local highschool has a really nice running track .it's smooth and really long .I'll check it out tomorrow and if it checks out I'll give it a go with no oil in the shocks.my BR is lowered so I don't believe it will be hopping around like a basket ball .and it's heavy due to the weight I've added.we shall see .but I will add oil after I just need to know a good type

Run 30-80 wt depending on the surface... it's not so much you will see the car physically bouncing.. The tires themselves will bounce on a very small scale, unhooking your contact patch.. probably not noticable by eye unless you had a camera mounted watching the wheel..

You will only know it after it gets loose.. oil in the shock is also there to maintain a controlled pressure ( contact patch) of the tire on the ground.. not just dampening..

The track you speak of may be ok, or maybe not, you will surely find out, and absolutely nothing wrong with trying it... but if it gets loose at speed repeatedly you know the cause...

Also keep in mind with no oil you will see a good amount of body roll and yaw.. snap into the throttle the rear will squat probably to the ground, and when you brake prepare for a heavy heavy nose dive...

This same info pertains to your real car as well.. a blown shock or strut plays a large roll in broken belts in the tire from bouncing repeatedly, loss of traction contact patch, and handling characteristics that will surely make knuckles white in the right circumstances..

Run 30-80 wt depending on the surface... it's not so much you will see the car physically bouncing.. The tires themselves will bounce on a very small scale, unhooking your contact patch.. probably not noticable by eye unless you had a camera mounted watching the wheel..

You will only know it after it gets loose.. oil in the shock is also there to maintain a controlled pressure ( contact patch) of the tire on the ground.. not just dampening..

The track you speak of may be ok, or maybe not, you will surely find out, and absolutely nothing wrong with trying it... but if it gets loose at speed repeatedly you know the cause...

Also keep in mind with no oil you will see a good amount of body roll and yaw.. snap into the throttle the rear will squat probably to the ground, and when you brake prepare for a heavy heavy nose dive...

This same info pertains to your real car as well.. a blown shock or strut plays a large roll in broken belts in the tire from bouncing repeatedly, loss of traction contact patch, and handling characteristics that will surely make knuckles white in the right circumstances..
Thank you very much.i totally get what your saying.good info 👍😁. Ok I lied .one thing I mis understood. Is the weight for both front and rear?

Thank you very much.i totally get what your saying.good info 👍😁. Ok I lied .one thing I mis understood. Is the weight for both front and rear?

Na.. a general scale of oils from low to high depending on the surface you run on.. but leave the shocks squared, all 4 the same weight oil.. The smooth track you speak of most likely won't show any different characteristics between the oils besides body roll and yaw in the lower weights..

Ok thank you.so for street use what would you use?
Ok thank you.so for street use what would you use?
You mentioned 30-80 So is the oil thicker or lighter as you go up ?, I'd like to get some tomorrow if I can get a number best for what I do.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back