New to speed setups

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll want to be around there in the end, but you might wanna tame it down to 30/34 for the first couple of runs to get a feel for it. Whole different ball game at those speeds

(8s) 34/34 with an 800kv on hoons will get you to around 80mph

you’ll need something like 40/29 to hit low 100’s and around 700-800’ of road to run on. work your way up to a larger pinion from there

ideally you want to speed run on a road that has 1400-2000’ of space for 130+mph passes

If you really want high speeds though, you'll want something in the 2000-2200kv range. TP Power in particular is popular amongst speed guys

(8s) 34/34 with an 800kv on hoons will get you to around 80mph

you’ll need something like 40/29 to hit low 100’s and around 700-800’ of road to run on. work your way up to a larger pinion from there

ideally you want to speed run on a road that has 1400-2000’ of space for 130+mph passes
+1 on this
I recommend getting your feet wet around the 100mph mark. You will likely need the PPS motor mount.

I know the videos make it look easy but you really want to work your way up to faster speeds. 100mph is scary to be honest (the first time you do it)

There is lots that go into setting up a car for 100mph.
-Tires need to be balanced
-You need a perfect road (no traffic, no curbs, no reflector bumps etc)
-Radio that will reach the car at 1200+ feet
-Shimmed hubs
-Perfectly suspension alignment
-Proper ride height and suspension pre-load setting
-Ensure body isn't catching air in places to create lift

While I recommend running on GRP tires for beginners, a word of caution is that they often blow up over 130mph. 100mph up to 120 mph is a very safe range to play in as it relates to tires and stress on the car.

+1 on this
I recommend getting your feet wet around the 100mph mark. You will likely need the PPS motor mount.

I know the videos make it look easy but you really want to work your way up to faster speeds. 100mph is scary to be honest (the first time you do it)

There is lots that go into setting up a car for 100mph.
-Tires need to be balanced
-You need a perfect road (no traffic, no curbs, no reflector bumps etc)
-Radio that will reach the car at 1200+ feet
-Shimmed hubs
-Perfectly suspension alignment
-Proper ride height and suspension pre-load setting
-Ensure body isn't catching air in places to create lift

While I recommend running on GRP tires for beginners, a word of caution is that they often blow up over 130mph. 100mph up to 120 mph is a very safe range to play in as it relates to tires and stress on the car.
I’ve been learning with my stock Infraction top speed so far is 58 mph. Trying to build experience with the throttle before installing speed gear. I going to try to reach 90 mph before I try to go 100 mph with the Limitless

I’ve been learning with my stock Infraction top speed so far is 58 mph. Trying to build experience with the throttle before installing speed gear. I going to try to reach 90 mph before I try to go 100 mph with the Limitless

That is a great idea. My 2 biggest pieces of advice:
1. Make sure the front is lower than the rear to avoid the car doing a backflip at high speed. Use the droop screws in the front lower a-arms to do this.
2. Get the front wheel toe setup correctly. Sometimes they come with toe settings where the front tires are pointing out which will cause very unstable behavior from the car. You want a small amount of toe in where the tires slightly point in. (we are talking 1-2 degrees/very little)

"increased front toe in provides greater straight-line stability at the cost of some sluggishness of turning response. Performance vehicles may run zero front toe or even some toe out for a better response to steering inputs. The wear on the tires is marginally increased as the tires are under slight side slip conditions when the steering is set straight ahead"

That is a great idea. My 2 biggest pieces of advice:
1. Make sure the front is lower than the rear to avoid the car doing a backflip at high speed. Use the droop screws in the front lower a-arms to do this.
2. Get the front wheel toe setup correctly. Sometimes they come with toe settings where the front tires are pointing out which will cause very unstable behavior from the car. You want a small amount of toe in where the tires slightly point in. (we are talking 1-2 degrees/very little)

"increased front toe in provides greater straight-line stability at the cost of some sluggishness of turning response. Performance vehicles may run zero front toe or even some toe out for a better response to steering inputs. The wear on the tires is marginally increased as the tires are under slight side slip conditions when the steering is set straight ahead"
Thanks I’ll update the post when I run my first 100 mph pass.

Back