New to the hobby, need something for my dog to chase

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DogsRFun

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
Hey everyone!

My wife was at the dog park with our GSP/Lab mix and someone was running an RC outside the fence. Pupper went nuts and was desperate to play with it.

So now the wife is asking me to figure out getting an RC Car/Truck and train the dog with it. Funny how that goes right?

My dog is about 65 lbs and can hit about 35 MPH, possibly a little faster. I've got a fenced backyard that's about an acre in size and all mowed with a few small trees.

I'd like to keep my budget as low as I can, I'm thinking I'll end up around $400 if my research is true so far.

I'll also have to train myself on this, and train the pup to not immediately kill the car.

I'm also thinking of gluing foam to the body and bumpers to try and soften the blow if they run into each other.

From my reading, I'm thinking a 1/10 4x4 Granite or Big Rock 3S brushless is the way to go, but I'm looking for suggestions. I've done some searching on here, and I love the idea of a velcroed rope and toy pulled behind the car.

I'm also open to Traxxas. I just need something bulletproof that I'm not going to break the first time I use it. I'm aware some things will break though.

I'm also considering buying used from the classifieds here, but most of this stuff is still Greek to me.

Any suggestions?

Here's the pup in question.

PXL_20221114_184844337.jpg
PXL_20221128_192725369.jpg

@BullyBreed RC is the man you want for this.

I think he is basically using an outcast 4s? or 6s. The cone is such a great idea too.

Welcome to the forums and the hobby!

Today's the last day (I think?) to get the rtr 6s Typhon on sale for $400 @ Tower hobbies/ Horizon hobbies. Worth looking into
Will that work well on grass? I was looking around and kept getting told to stay away from buggies for the grass. But since it's 1/8, maybe it will work?

The problem with the 6s is that I'd be out about another $330 for the battery and charger. 2S would be about an extra $110 plus a charger. Can I run 6s on 2s, will it be okay on grass? will it be too slow?

I'm watching those bullybreed videos. Awesome.

Today's the last day (I think?) to get the rtr 6s Typhon on sale for $400 @ Tower hobbies/ Horizon hobbies. Worth looking into
I bought one and liked it so much I bought 2 more. So much value at $500, it's a steal at $400. The tall tires handle the grass in my yard fine and it does 50+ on the pavement with stock gearing so it should be plenty for a doggo even on 4s with stock gearing I would think.

Will that work well on grass? I was looking around and kept getting told to stay away from buggies for the grass. But since it's 1/8, maybe it will work?

I just built a typhon 6s but haven't gotten to run it. But.. I've already built one for a friend as well. So I know it will work on grass. But that's with proline 2.8 badlands. I had been using a Notorious 6s with proline 3.8 badlands or Trencher X the last couple years. They hold up super well to hounds haha

The problem with the 6s is that I'd be out about another $330 for the battery and charger.
Consider Amazon instead for your first batteries and charger as they will be much more affordable than the Spektrum stuff as a a beginner in the hobby IMO.

Edit for the post above: Yeah, it would probably handle the grass even better if you were to 'truggify' it, or at least get some hub hex extensions, and use 2.8 monster truck style tires that stay on top of the grass more.

3S Senton/Granite 4x4 are decent plastic chase rigs.

Going 6S/8S aluminum chassis increases the probability of an ligament tear from an accident. I get a kick out of owners who think their dog can catch mine, sure bud if you want to carry it home like the last one😂

Welcome aboard!!! 😁 ✌️

So now the wife is asking me to figure out getting an RC Car/Truck and train the dog with it. Funny how that goes right?
I think you are onto something here. Guys (or gals) with dogs can justify getting into RCs by saying they are toys for the dogs to keep them healthy and wear them out when they are puppies!! 👍😂:unsure:

Look into a Mojave 6S.
It will have the best chances to survive a 65lb dog from mauling it.
Dogs will go from those open wheels in buggies/truggies.. You'll want to be able to run your truck long enough to give your dog a decent workout, not just become a VERY Expensive chew toy.**

The problem with the 6s is that I'd be out about another $330 for the battery and charger. 2S would be about an extra $110 plus a charger. Can I run 6s on 2s, will it be okay on grass? will it be too slow?

6S will not be able to run on just one 2S.. your ESC will prevent it.

**Cause once your dog rips a tire, that's the end of the exercise til you get a replacement.

Last edited:
Hey everyone!

My wife was at the dog park with our GSP/Lab mix and someone was running an RC outside the fence. Pupper went nuts and was desperate to play with it.

My dog is about 65 lbs and can hit about 35 MPH, possibly a little faster. I've got a fenced backyard that's about an acre in size and all mowed with a few small trees.

I'd like to keep my budget as low as I can, I'm thinking I'll end up around $400 if my research is true so far.

I'll also have to train myself on this, and train the pup to not immediately kill the car.

I'm also thinking of gluing foam to the body and bumpers to try and soften the blow if they run into each other.

From my reading, I'm thinking a 1/10 4x4 Granite or Big Rock 3S brushless is the way to go, but I'm looking for suggestions. I've done some searching on here, and I love the idea of a velcroed rope and toy pulled behind the car.

I'm also open to Traxxas. I just need something bulletproof that I'm not going to break the first time I use it. I'm aware some things will break though.

I'm also considering buying used from the classifieds here, but most of this stuff is still Greek to me.

Any suggestions?

View attachment 274439View attachment 274438
LOVE THIS! I got into RCs to rehab my pitties broken leg. (He jumped for a balloon and landed wrong). I've found that traffic cones makes absolutely wonderful bodies for this. We started with a traxxas bandit thinking it would keep cost down... it ended up being a nightmare with repairs and upgrades. Then I went with the Notorious because the Typhon was out of stock. The tall side walls are great to protect the battery so I also put them on my new typhon build. I highly recommend just going 4x4 either way. A stock 6s arrma with some home depot mods will get the job done. The Notorious was great, I only decided to build the typhon to save weight... and for fun haha! All that said.... it'll take training for you and your dog. Remember that the dog is chasing, not the other way around. That's how folks drive into their dogs. Cars are easy to repair... and way cheaper than the pooch haha. They'll break it, you'll break it... it'll be fun haha

Hey everyone!

Any suggestions?

Can be great exercise for the dog, depending on whether it tries to tear it apart if/when he catches up with it. Careful, people have broken their dogs leg with these things too.

Hey everyone!

Any suggestions?

Hey everyone!

Any suggestions?

Here's the typhon I built for my friends. And for reference, my dog (Teddy) is 85-90lbs depending on the holiday season. If it stands up to him... it'll stand up to anything.

May want to protect your battery cables from your dogs biting thru..(eventually)
Already done. Run em through though body support and wrap em in gorilla tape 👊🏿

I agree with the other comment about Amazon batteries. I use hoovo lipos ($60ish each) I did spend about $140 on a spektrum charger though. Truth be told... it's hard to get a good hound hauler for less than $600. That said... I haven't bought a chew toy in years. $20 bucks for 5 minutes of play adds up real quick lol
@BullyBreed RC is the man you want for this.

I think he is basically using an outcast 4s? or 6s. The cone is such a great idea too.

Welcome to the forums and the hobby!
6s 💪🏿. We did try the 4s but the slipper was too unreliable 😔.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back