New to the hobby, need something for my dog to chase

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another cheap and effective way is to go to the pound and buy another dog of the opposite sex. They will both get plenty of excercise chasing each other around and your RC stays intact as they have more exciting things to chase.
Sounds like it could get expensive if the female isn't spayed though?🤣🤣

Hey everyone!

My wife was at the dog park with our GSP/Lab mix and someone was running an RC outside the fence. Pupper went nuts and was desperate to play with it.

So now the wife is asking me to figure out getting an RC Car/Truck and train the dog with it. Funny how that goes right?

My dog is about 65 lbs and can hit about 35 MPH, possibly a little faster. I've got a fenced backyard that's about an acre in size and all mowed with a few small trees.

I'd like to keep my budget as low as I can, I'm thinking I'll end up around $400 if my research is true so far.

I'll also have to train myself on this, and train the pup to not immediately kill the car.

I'm also thinking of gluing foam to the body and bumpers to try and soften the blow if they run into each other.

From my reading, I'm thinking a 1/10 4x4 Granite or Big Rock 3S brushless is the way to go, but I'm looking for suggestions. I've done some searching on here, and I love the idea of a velcroed rope and toy pulled behind the car.

I'm also open to Traxxas. I just need something bulletproof that I'm not going to break the first time I use it. I'm aware some things will break though.

I'm also considering buying used from the classifieds here, but most of this stuff is still Greek to me.

Any suggestions?

Here's the pup in question.

View attachment 274439View attachment 274438
I bet it will be a lot easier to train your dog than to train your wallet 🤣🤣 .you might start getting into this hobby just to have your dog chase something but I bet that's where your addiction will start and before you know it .you'll be on rc #2 then 3 then upgrades then parts to replace broken ones ..get that wallet ready .good luck and enjoy the ride🤟😁👍 welcome to AF enjoy your new hobby and your new fam

I bet it will be a lot easier to train your dog than to train your wallet 🤣🤣 .you might start getting into this hobby just to have your dog chase something but I bet that's where your addiction will start and before you know it .you'll be on rc #2 then 3 then upgrades then parts to replace broken ones ..get that wallet ready .good luck and enjoy the ride🤟😁👍 welcome to AF enjoy your new hobby and your new fam
This is EXACTLY what happened to me 🤣🤣🤣. 10 rigs later... still cheaper than chew toys. At least that's what I tell myself

haven't read all the replies, but i getcha!

I have the 3s granite and my pit loves chasong it. Amd most of the time she cant catch it, till battery dies or it flips etc. She can amd will catch my sons 2s typhon as soon as she wants it. Shell only let it run long enougb for her to feel its a chase.

So my recommendatiom is 3s setup. I got my granite a 5k spectrum g2 batt and an s150 all around 500 here in TN so not far off your 400 budget. Just get the dog to stop once its got ahold of it, and prepare for replaced bodys now and then. But bodys are cheaper than the kongs i buy my girl so easy price to pay
Will say, the 6s typhon with some truck tires would be a badass way of going, as it can run on 3s, 4s or 6s. Be very capable of running of dog and any kind of play for yourself and muxh sturdier than anything 3s or 2s

haven't read all the replies, but i getcha!

I have the 3s granite and my pit loves chasong it. Amd most of the time she cant catch it, till battery dies or it flips etc. She can amd will catch my sons 2s typhon as soon as she wants it. Shell only let it run long enougb for her to feel its a chase.

So my recommendatiom is 3s setup. I got my granite a 5k spectrum g2 batt and an s150 all around 500 here in TN so not far off your 400 budget. Just get the dog to stop once its got ahold of it, and prepare for replaced bodys now and then. But bodys are cheaper than the kongs i buy my girl so easy price to pay
Will say, the 6s typhon with some truck tires would be a badass way of going, as it can run on 3s, 4s or 6s. Be very capable of running of dog and any kind of play for yourself and muxh sturdier than anything 3s or 2s
Check my replies for the traffic cone body. Then you won't even have to replace the lexan anymore. Also won't cut your dog's gums. My pittie is about 90lbs and I let him catch it. If it'll take his chomps it'll take anything. And still cheaper than kongs 🤣🤣👊🏿
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm working, but I'll go through them all later. It's sounding like the Typhon 6s might be the way to go, buy once cry once.

I really like the videos of the traffic cone body. Great stuff.
Haha glad you like our Hound Haulin vids with the traffic cone body. Everyone has some good points, but let me know if you have questions. Hound haulin is what we do 🤷🏿‍♂️. I went into this with saftey in mind as well as fun. But definitely cry once and then enjoy every moment after

My last post is stuck in moderation, maybe because I had links in it? Not sure. So I'll post without them.

Couple more questions:

If I get the Typhon that's on sale at Horizon for $400 = 1/8 TYPHON 6S V5 4WD BLX Buggy with Spektrum Firma RTR, Black

should I get the HOOVO 22.2V 6000mAh 60C 6S LiPo Battery with EC5 Plug at amazon? It's $80.

What charger do I need?

It looks like the transmitter has a throttle trim so I can turn down the throttle while I learn.

Is there anything else I'll need?

Sounds awesome! That should be all you need to start. but soon you’ll realize it’s hard to stay away from upgrades. One thing, careful with the tires! My dog (35 pound golden doodle) chewed through a tire on my erevo. Have fun! There are many 6s capable chargers, I personally use a discontinued one, so ill let somebody else help there. Good luck! Typhons are sweet

My last post is stuck in moderation, maybe because I had links in it? Not sure. So I'll post without them.

Couple more questions:

If I get the Typhon that's on sale at Horizon for $400 = 1/8 TYPHON 6S V5 4WD BLX Buggy with Spektrum Firma RTR, Black

should I get the HOOVO 22.2V 6000mAh 60C 6S LiPo Battery with EC5 Plug at amazon? It's $80.

What charger do I need?

It looks like the transmitter has a throttle trim so I can turn down the throttle while I learn.

Is there anything else I'll need?
That's the battery 👊🏿. For the charger, I'd go spektrum s1200 for $80. The new G2 version is $150 if you want to spring for the latest. That will get you running. And that throttle control is your bestie to start. Don't feel bad practicing without your dog. Get used to how it responds to throttle, breaking and turning. Outside that, the materials for a traffic cone body. If your dog is a tire biter, then you'll want to look into some minor mods to make meatier wheel fit. (Truggified typhon) I tagged you in my Land Shark build if you want to check it out 👊🏿

I think I'll order the Typhon now, and figure out the battery and charger later. Also, BullyBreed, what size traffic cone did you buy? Was it the 18inch PVC one at home depot?
Yep! Thats the one. I've found they are softer than the cones from Lowe's. And 3m outdoor velcro to secure it

I think I'll order the Typhon now, and figure out the battery and charger later. Also, BullyBreed, what size traffic cone did you buy? Was it the 18inch PVC one at home depot?

YOU and your dog are going to have a blast!

Thanks for the Spektrum s1200 advice, however it looks like that one on Amazon doesn't include the power supply. Should I be going with the S2100 for $130 or is there a cheaper option?

Edit -----

Got the Typhon ordered. This is already more money than I bargained for, but the pup has been pretty depressed since I broke my toe and can't play as hard with him. We're getting another dog, but it will be a few months.

Last edited:
Thanks for the Spektrum s1200 advice, however it looks like that one on Amazon doesn't include the power supply. Should I be going with the S2100 for $130 or is there a cheaper option?
The s2100 is the one 1 have actually. Even better if you have multiple batteries. Absolutely get it for $130. Mine is about 3 years old now. And it came with the power supply. Didn't realize the s1200 didn't until now.

Got the Typhon ordered. This is already more money than I bargained for, but the pup has been pretty depressed since I broke my toe and can't play as hard with him. We're getting another dog, but it will be a few months.

It's going to be money well spent, you'll see.

Think of it as Therapy Money for your Dog And You combined.

Now That's Cheap!

He has two favorite things that really keep happy.

Firstly I trained him with thick welding gloves and play roughly with them like another dog would. He knows he's free to play really hard, but if I take the gloves off he stops immediately, and he's careful to not grab anywhere but the glove. He absolutely loves it. Usually after 20 minutes of running all over the house and wrestling we're both too tired to do anything but collapse.

Secondly I hook him up to my bicycle and he pulls me as fast as he can. I think we usually hit 35mph and he's happy and resting afterwards.

Unfortunately I can't do either of those with a broken toe, and he doesn't play or run as hard when it's just my wife. He just looks at her with a "really?? you don't know how to play hard!" look on his face and walks off.

He has two favorite things that really keep happy.

Firstly I trained him with thick welding gloves and play roughly with them like another dog would. He knows he's free to play really hard, but if I take the gloves off he stops immediately, and he's careful to not grab anywhere but the glove. He absolutely loves it. Usually after 20 minutes of running all over the house and wrestling we're both too tired to do anything but collapse.

Secondly I hook him up to my bicycle and he pulls me as fast as he can. I think we usually hit 35mph and he's happy and resting afterwards.

Unfortunately I can't do either of those with a broken toe, and he doesn't play or run as hard when it's just my wife. He just looks at her with a "really?? you don't know how to play hard!" look on his face and walks off.

Make a thick sailor's rope stubtail or something similar ready -to attach to the Typhon with Velcro.
(NO hard plastics sticks, Zipties, PVC pipes or anything hard that your dog might accidentally walk into /jab into.)

Typhon got here today, but the battery won't be here until Monday. I'm picking up a traffic cone tomorrow.
PXL_20230205_064154028.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back