New to the hobby, need something for my dog to chase

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Battery finally got here. I went to plug it into the charger, and... It doesn't fit. :(

The battery is EC5, the charger is EC3. So I guess I just need to buy an adapter and wait for it?

I'm bummed that I can't get to practicing yet!

Photo of said charger?
Is the charging cable removable? If so, get the correct cable with the right connector , instead of just a connector-adapter..

It just has female ports on the charger, no cable. And the Typhon uses EC5 connectors, so I wouldn't want to swap the end on the battery.

I ordered some adapters, they should be here on Friday. I gave it a brief little test spin around the yard today, it's showing 22.9V on the battery, which if I understand correctly is the storage setting. It should be okay to run around a little on the battery right?

71k6GXqVCjL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It just has female ports on the charger, no cable. And the Typhon uses EC5 connectors, so I wouldn't want to swap the end on the battery.

I ordered some adapters, they should be here on Friday. I gave it a brief little test spin around the yard today, it's showing 22.9V on the battery, which if I understand correctly is the storage setting. It should be okay to run around a little on the battery right?

View attachment 276711
The batteries typically come about half charged. You can use it until the esc shuts you down. Might juat get a few minutes is all

Oof. I'm pretty bummed. I finally got the charger working, and took it out for a spin. Puppy LOVES it. More than anything else we've ever done. He's really good about not attacking it, he just chases it everywhere.

I went to play with it for the 3rd time today... and the transmitter wouldn't turn on. The light came on once, then went off. I put new batteries in it, nothing. I tried turning it off and on and the power button fell off inside the transmitter.

I tried contacting Horizon, but it's after closing time and according to their site it looks like it will be a few weeks before they get it back if they fix it.

Poor pupper was REALLY worked up and ready to go, he was heartbroken when I put the car away.

Oof. I'm pretty bummed. I finally got the charger working, and took it out for a spin. Puppy LOVES it. More than anything else we've ever done. He's really good about not attacking it, he just chases it everywhere.

I went to play with it for the 3rd time today... and the transmitter wouldn't turn on. The light came on once, then went off. I put new batteries in it, nothing. I tried turning it off and on and the power button fell off inside the transmitter.

I tried contacting Horizon, but it's after closing time and according to their site it looks like it will be a few weeks before they get it back if they fix it.

Poor pupper was REALLY worked up and ready to go, he was heartbroken when I put the car away.
What kind of transmitter do you have? Lemme rummage around & see if I've got my old tx. If not, I'm sure someone else here could help

Sounds like it's just a loose button.. Should be able to temporarily MacGuyver it with a tooth pick.. to push it On & Off.

Horizon Hobbies will take care of you , just contact their Customer Care department. (They'll ask for a copy of your receipt..)

& IF HHCC can't help you in a timely manner.. Let us know.
I'm sure one of us have an extra tx to donate/trade..

Last edited:

Oh no! Sorry, y'all 😞. I just ran my typhon for the first time today. I didn't use the stock transmitter since I had a spare dx5c. Honestly... I'd recommend getting a dumbo rc transmitter for about $40 for this. I like my dx5c but the power button on it sticks sometimes. I have 2 and both do it. My dumbo rc, futaba and radiolink transmitters are more dependable. Shot in the dark... but if you're in Colorado, I'd happily give you my stock transmitter 🤷🏿‍♂️😞

Thanks everyone!

I'm in SW WA state, sadly not Colorado.

It's a Spektrum SLT3, and I was hoping to find a way to get it to turn on again, but no dice.

I'm not sure how to pair another transmitter, does it have to be Spektrum, or will any 2.4 work?

I sent off an email to HH, I'll see what they say.

Puppy has been driving me crazy ever since the car didn't move. He follows me around, paws at me, then sits and stares. I took him for a walk but he looks a little betrayed and depressed.

Thanks everyone!

It's a Spektrum SLT3, and I was hoping to find a way to get it to turn on again, but no dice.

I'm not sure how to pair another transmitter, does it have to be Spektrum, or will any 2.4 work?

Puppy has been driving me crazy ever since the car didn't move. He follows me around, paws at me, then sits and stares. I took him for a walk but he looks a little betrayed and depressed.
Did some digging & found the slt3 that came with my/ 3s typhon that's wrecked. Doubt I'll ever use it again since I have the noble nb4 now. If you're interested I would be more than happy to send it to you & the pupper🙂👍

Thanks everyone!

Each transmitter pairs a little differently but they're all simple and come with good instructions. Unfortunately, you can only pair spektrum to spektrum and same with other brands.

I've had great interactions with horizon hobby. Even the "bad" one (just mildly annoying) still ended with a warranty replacement. Typically pretty quick too. They'll likely ask for receipt, pics and explanation and hook you up.

I thought he fell asleep so I went to sneak out and put the car away, hoping he wouldn't see it and get his hopes up again. No such luck.

I took a few pictures.

By the way, thanks Bully for the video and idea for the traffic cone. I watched your video several times and managed to make a traffic cone body (y)

Did some digging & found the slt3 that came with my/ 3s typhon that's wrecked. Doubt I'll ever use it again since I have the noble nb4 now. If you're interested I would be more than happy to send it to you & the pupper🙂👍

That would be great! Thank you! If HH doesn't reply tomorrow I'll send you a PM and my address and send postage money.

My wife took a video of the first time he played with it, I'll get it off her phone at some point and put it up for you guys.

I'm not sure how fast he's going, but with the throttle set at 50% on a 6s battery he can keep up with it on the grass. I run it at 75% and it pulls away from him on the straightaway, but he's not too far behind. He's a FAST pupper.

PXL_20230211_014951425.jpg
PXL_20230211_014946981.jpg
PXL_20230211_014958979.jpg
PXL_20230211_015035777.jpg

Last edited:
I thought he fell asleep so I went to sneak out and put the car away, hoping he wouldn't see it and get his hopes up again. No such luck.

I took a few pictures.

By the way, thanks Bully for the video and idea for the traffic cone. I watched your video several times and managed to make a traffic cone body (y)

That would be great! Thank you! If HH doesn't reply tomorrow I'll send you a PM and my address and send postage money.

My wife took a video of the first time he played with it, I'll get it off her phone at some point and put it up for you guys.

I'm not sure how fast he's going, but with the throttle set at 50% on a 6s battery he can keep up with it on the grass. I run it at 75% and it pulls away from him on the straightaway, but he's not too far behind. He's a FAST pupper.

View attachment 277266View attachment 277267View attachment 277265View attachment 277264
This makes me and Teddy so happy! Haha wait until he learns the sound of the esc start-up... testing any upgrades or whatnot will always draw attention 🤣. Glad you made a traffic cone body too! Love it! I had to run and tell/show my girlfriend that we got another one with a traffic cone 👊🏿

Pairing with a new transmitter is simple. 3 steps.

Use the binding dongle/loop that comes with the car.. it's a little connector/loop doodad in with the owner's manual bag somewhere..

Take a pic or two of the f***d button and let us take a look at what you're seeing.
I bet we can diagnose it Before HH replies back from email..

Last edited:
He has two favorite things that really keep happy.

Firstly I trained him with thick welding gloves and play roughly with them like another dog would. He knows he's free to play really hard, but if I take the gloves off he stops immediately, and he's careful to not grab anywhere but the glove. He absolutely loves it. Usually after 20 minutes of running all over the house and wrestling we're both too tired to do anything but collapse.

Secondly I hook him up to my bicycle and he pulls me as fast as he can. I think we usually hit 35mph and he's happy and resting afterwards.

Unfortunately I can't do either of those with a broken toe, and he doesn't play or run as hard when it's just my wife. He just looks at her with a "really?? you don't know how to play hard!" look on his face and walks off.
That's how dogs should be. I have to put a piece of cheese on a stick and dangling in front of me or bulldog just stands there and won't walk. His fattass needs exercise.

Pairing with a new transmitter is simple. 3 steps.

Use the binding dongle/loop that comes with the car.. it's a little connector/loop doodad in with the owner's manual bag somewhere..

Take a pic or two of the f***d button and let us take a look at what you're seeing.
I bet we can diagnose it Before HH replies back from email..

Opened it up and took a few pictures. you can see the switch laying on the table. It's supposed to be just to the right of the white power plug, where the empty soldering is (not sure of the term there)

I checked it with a multimeter, and it's getting power up to the plug, but obviously without the switch there's no way to go past that. I'm not even sure if the switch is the only problem. I suppose I could try jumping from one side to the other of the circuit, but I don't want to fry anything.
PXL_20230211_040120987.jpg

PXL_20230211_040128846.jpg

Opened it up and took a few pictures. you can see the switch laying on the table. It's supposed to be just to the right of the white power plug, where the empty soldering is (not sure of the term there)

I checked it with a multimeter, and it's getting power up to the plug, but obviously without the switch there's no way to go past that. I'm not even sure if the switch is the only problem. I suppose I could try jumping from one side to the other of the circuit, but I don't want to fry anything.View attachment 277288

View attachment 277289

THAT looks like poor soldering job right there..

I'm sorry ,but that will require a bit more than MacGuyver to fix.

I suppose you could try to short the two contact patch with a bubblegum aluminum wrapper a small piece of aluminum tape -to trigger it On.

That's how dogs should be. I have to put a piece of cheese on a stick and dangling in front of me or bulldog just stands there and won't walk. His fattass needs exercise.

He's part German Shorthaired Pointer, and he's pretty high energy. We got him at 9 weeks old, and within just 10 days he went from barely able to keep up when I walked, to outrunning me. I've always adjusted his food intake to match his physique, and I check with the vet to make sure he's at the right weight. The vet said "I wish all dogs were as healthy as him. 99% of the dogs out there are really overweight".

He's a great dog, but a handful. I wish I hunted, that's what he would most love to do.
THAT looks like poor soldering job right there..

I'm sorry ,but that will require a bit more than MacGuyver to fix.

I suppose you could try to short the two contact patch with a bubblegum aluminum wrapper a small piece of aluminum tape -to trigger it On.

Yeah it didn't look like something I could easily fix. I can do a passable soldering job on 14ga wire, but not on circuit boards.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back