Kraton New to the sport

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaper007

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Just got my very first rc..and i have no idea what I'm doing..i guess it's a learn as you go thing..that's fine with all the help from the forum i should be fine..so let's start with this..what do i need to do before her very first run..

Break her in gently right out the gate whether it's stock or adding mods.

I plan on changing the differential oil 60/200/30, making sure everything is meshed up, I may shim when switching to 6s or do it now, making sure all the screws are tightened, new servor, backflip tires with holes in tires and filling in wheel's holes, adding new rpm bumpers, skid plate, rear wide basher plate, may boil wing mount, HR aluminum chassis braces, mud guards, taping the inside of the body shell and holes up, taping batteries, thinking about plasti dipping underneath the chassis and roof, and turning down the punch and brake force (75%), raising the cut-off threshold to 3.4 with my hobby wing card during the break in period. And even adding paddle tires and protective cover to keep the sand out when hitting the beach.

When it's time for 6s I'm going to blast it and bash it, may get a 13t robinson pinion so I don't have to worry about heat issues as well. Whatever you decide to do just go out there and have fun.

Thanks for the info..definitely need to check all screws..but why turn down the punch and brake..and is that only during break in..i have diff shims and bearing for it should i install them now or wait until i need to replace them..

Thanks for the info..definitely need to check all screws..but why turn down the punch and brake..and is that only during break in..i have diff shims and bearing for it should i install them now or wait until i need to replace them..

I just turn down the punch and the brake during the first battery or two during the break in period, it's not a necessity. Some people change the diff oil the very first day, and if you're in there you might as well shim it too or vice versa, but if you're just going running 4s it's not necessary either. I'd only change the bearings when needed, you can always clean them up and lub the old ones to get more life out of them after a hard run.

Last edited:
Great..i think I'll run it a pack or two then I'll do my diffs..that way if i screw it up I'll have a couple runs in.. How difficult are they to disassemble and reassemble..what tools do i need to get started..

never drive it until it’s fully built :D

Welcome to the addiction :greedy:

Read this forum all of it. There is more info here than anywhere on the web. When you break something upgrade it. Not a bad idea to buy extra parts so you don't have to wait during a parts shortage.

Just took my kraton out for the first time yesterday and i ran into a wall at full speed.i pop the pillow ball out and bent the shock tower..pop the pillow ball back into place and went back out this morning..ran a pack and a half then i found a pretty nice mound were i can get some good height in my local park just to have the esc fill with debris and shut down..so i cut my time short came home and could not wait to give you my opinion..WOW..i had such a good time blasting around my local park..they cut the grass a couple of days ago so there's a lot of dry grass everywhere which eventually clogged my esc and shut down the vehicle..so now i have to take the esc apart..clean it out..take the shock tower apart straighten it out put it all back together and i have not been this excited since i was in high school building hotrods with my buddies..now i get to tear her down and clean her up and rebuild her..WOW again I'm in heaven..this is what it's all about..BLAST IT BUILD IT ..BLAST IT AGAIN

If you put some sort of mesh or screen above your ESC fan it will keep debris out. I was always getting mulch in mine which would stop the fan. The Voltage Hobbies shock towers are the best upgrade I have ever done. They are machined from 7075 aluminum and tough as nails. I haven't bent mine yet and its been almost a year of hard bashing!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back