Typhon New to the Typhon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimboF150

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hey gents, I 'm about to pull the trigger and get me a Typhon V3,

I have been out of the game forever, excited to be back and make this a hobby.

Can I get some recommendations on my first initial purchase as per:

1. Which Battery / Charger combo would you go for? Thinking about 1x 4S and 1x 6s
Do I need Lipo fire bags?

2. Is it smart to just get used to it the stock Typhon first before I think about any upgrades? I'm aware that even at stock it is quite the beast. Are the tires suitable for off-road and street?

3. I'm in Canada, does anyone have any websites that offer the best pricing? Any Canadians here?

Thanks, boys!

Hey gents, I 'm about to pull the trigger and get me a Typhon V3,

I have been out of the game forever, excited to be back and make this a hobby.

Can I get some recommendations on my first initial purchase as per:

1. Which Battery / Charger combo would you go for? Thinking about 1x 4S and 1x 6s
Do I need Lipo fire bags?

2. Is it smart to just get used to it the stock Typhon first before I think about any upgrades? I'm aware that even at stock it is quite the beast. Are the tires suitable for off-road and street?

3. I'm in Canada, does anyone have any websites that offer the best pricing? Any Canadians here?

Thanks, boys!
I just bought a Typhon myself, and as much in goodies as it was. Lol. I went with 4s so I don’t have to deal with destroying tires right now. SMC is currently running a sale and I picked up 3 of these

https://www.smc-racing.net/index.ph...h=True+Spec+Premium+14.8V+7400mAh+149Amps/90C

Yes it is advisable to get Li-Po bags. Check out Amazon for those

Teenitor Fireproof Explosionproof Lipo Battery Safe Bag Lipo Battery Guard Safe Bag Pouch Sack for Charge & Storage 185x75x60mm Large size https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T01LLP8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_B8IIBb05066PD

I am getting ready to also order this to store those in. Nothing wrong with more protection. I figure each pack I have can be protected and then all the packs in the bigger Li-Po bag. This will hold about 8-10 in bags I’ll let you know for sure when it comes in.

HOBBYMATE Lipo Battery Safe Bag Fireproof - for Lipo Battery Charging, Lipo Battery Storage https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07521JTLP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_q9IIBbTQZ3G4E

As for chargers, check out the sticky here
https://www.arrmaforum.com/forums/arrma-electronics/

As for everything I have learned about the Typhon, it’s one bad mutha out the box. I had already purchased a bunch of hop ups for mine though like Fast Eddie’s bearing set for it, Hot Racing chassis braces-full steering etc. I’ll tag you in my link and you can read what was recommended to me. Mostly break as you do. Welcome to the group

If you research Lipo bags on YouTube you will find they are not all created equal by any means, most lipo bags won't protect for anything over 2 or 3s if things really light up.

I would recommend an "Ammo Can" with part of the rubber seal removed to vent in case of fire, or what I did was pick up a small metal toolbox.

Any steel toolbox will survive way longer than a lipo bag full of 4s-6s lipos.

If a lipo storage spot lights up, you're not worried about the lipo's, you're worried about where it is sitting, as a garage, basement, whole house can easily go up in flames from a lipo fire.

TT

Another vote for both the Ammo can and the SMC batteries.

When shopping for a charger, be sure and watch the Wattage. For a 5000mah pack, you need 25w per cell for 1c charging, so a 4s needs 100w and a 6s needs 150 watts. Also, more mah needs more wattage, so the bigger SMC's linked above will need closer to 180w of power to charge at 1C (1-hour) Also, I personally like to charge at 2C, so I have a 300w charger. For the bigger chargers, they are mostly DC chargers, so you will need a power supply...

My setup is a Reaktor 300w 20a x2 (two channels of 300w power) (From HobbyKing.com) and a 1050w server PSU converted to RC use, which I purchased from SMC.

Last edited:
I just bought a Typhon myself, and as much in goodies as it was. Lol. I went with 4s so I don’t have to deal with destroying tires right now. SMC is currently running a sale and I picked up 3 of these

https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=491&search=True+Spec+Premium+14.8V+7400mAh+149Amps/90C

Yes it is advisable to get Li-Po bags. Check out Amazon for those

Teenitor Fireproof Explosionproof Lipo Battery Safe Bag Lipo Battery Guard Safe Bag Pouch Sack for Charge & Storage 185x75x60mm Large size https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T01LLP8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_B8IIBb05066PD

I am getting ready to also order this to store those in. Nothing wrong with more protection. I figure each pack I have can be protected and then all the packs in the bigger Li-Po bag. This will hold about 8-10 in bags I’ll let you know for sure when it comes in.

HOBBYMATE Lipo Battery Safe Bag Fireproof - for Lipo Battery Charging, Lipo Battery Storage https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07521JTLP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_q9IIBbTQZ3G4E

As for chargers, check out the sticky here
https://www.arrmaforum.com/forums/arrma-electronics/

As for everything I have learned about the Typhon, it’s one bad mutha out the box. I had already purchased a bunch of hop ups for mine though like Fast Eddie’s bearing set for it, Hot Racing chassis braces-full steering etc. I’ll tag you in my link and you can read what was recommended to me. Mostly break as you do. Welcome to the group

Thanks for all your help man!

If you research Lipo bags on YouTube you will find they are not all created equal by any means, most lipo bags won't protect for anything over 2 or 3s if things really light up.

I would recommend an "Ammo Can" with part of the rubber seal removed to vent in case of fire, or what I did was pick up a small metal toolbox.

Any steel toolbox will survive way longer than a lipo bag full of 4s-6s lipos.

If a lipo storage spot lights up, you're not worried about the lipo's, you're worried about where it is sitting, as a garage, basement, whole house can easily go up in flames from a lipo fire.

TT

So you just charge them in a small steel toolbox, with the lid open?

Are lipo battery fires common lol? Should I charge my batteries outside on deck for example?

I charge them in a lipo bag inside an ammo can I modified with long charger leads.

I store and transport them in a steel toolbox.

I don't think they are super common but if they do light up they are extremely hot, and it is a chemical fire, so it does not need oxygen to burn.

I read lots of people that yes, do charge outside on a concrete pad/patio.

TT

I bought a v3 typhon this summer. I blew the front of the car apart the second time I had it out lol. The car comes factory set for 6s so I ballooned my 4s battery .I just changed the car over to 6s with 2 3s packs .I had to make a custom battery try and cut the back of the body out to fit them ....fast car

I bought a v3 typhon this summer. I blew the front of the car apart the second time I had it out lol. The car comes factory set for 6s so I ballooned my 4s battery .I just changed the car over to 6s with 2 3s packs .I had to make a custom battery try and cut the back of the body out to fit them ....fast car
I run mine on single 4s with no issue. Did you have the jumper lead installed for when running only single battery?

Yup it was installed also when I ran it on 4s but the car was set to 6s so it put a big draw on the 4s battery .It worked great and ran hard but it cased the battery to balloon out

Yup it was installed also when I ran it on 4s but the car was set to 6s so it put a big draw on the 4s battery .It worked great and ran hard but it cased the battery to balloon out
Hmmmmm. I guess I better re-read my manual then. I didn’t remember needing to do anything when going between 4s and 6s.

I don’t read anything in the manual about having to select between 4s and 6s. It comes from the factory with lipo low voltage on, and if you run nimh you have to switch from lipo to nimh. Otherwise the esc is happy as long as you have 11.1 - 22.2 v in a either single or double pack configuration

Large fingers and hit reply couldn’t figure out how to edit my post. . If there is something I am missing can you give me a page number please

Large fingers and hit reply couldn’t figure out how to edit my post. . If there is something I am missing can you give me a page number please

You’re not missing anything as far as I know. I’ve run my Kraton on both 4s and 6s and I don’t have to change anything.

What is your battery specs Wally? Did she get it maybe?

Can you guys give me your thoughts on the best 4s Lipo to run for the kraton or typhon?

Also a good charger thats easy to use without adapters and connectors etc?

Maybe I was informed wrong about the car needing to be changed . I'm running 2 3s hard case batteries

Not sure about the battery because I have only used Lektron Pros, but you can do better with the charger. 7 amps is low and so is 100w (the 80w one is worse). My charger does up to 10 amps, is 100w and I’m looking to upgrade. I’m sure others will chime in as they know way more than me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back