Typhon New to Typhon RCs. Advice needed please.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlepprock250

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Talion EXB
  3. Typhon 6s
Hey gang, I just picked up an Arrma Typhon 6s blx yesterday.
Love it so far. Shredded a full set of tires today (riding on rough pavement). One thing of concern is the handling. I tried and tried to center the steering but it still insisted on pulling one way or the other.

The radio controller to doesn't seem to be very good. Is this the case with the stock controllers?
I've done some reading but really just starting to look deeper. I haven't had time, been shredding tires lol.

Anyone have any experience with this controller? Would it be better than the stock controller?
If so can you elaborate a little on the benefits?
Reef's RC REEFS54 - Raw 500 Waterproof High Torque 7.4V Brushless HV, Servo https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083QRF45...t_i_37PWY41SJEM4G9T42K92?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Better handling, smoother more precise steering? Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Also, with this controller, would I be wise to go ahead and pair it with a new/better servo?
Looking at this one, but if anyone has experience with others let me know.
Radiolink RC6GS V2 6 Channels RC Transmitter and Gyro Receiver R7FG, Voltage Telemetry & Long Range Control, 2.4Ghz Surface Radio Controller for RC Crawler, Drifting, Buggy Cars and Boats https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DPNNTW...t_i_547AC4P9AR5EBHKVZCSV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks!
I got the links posted incorrectly to my questions, but you get the idea.

I don't know that you need a reefs raw 500 in there but a better servo would go a long ways. I run the dumborc rx/tx in all of mine since they can handle higher bec voltages and have great range for the price. I run a max6 in all of my rigs and run the bec on 7.4v. I've had great luck with the $35 35kg amazon servo in all of my rigs. an aluminum servo mount would also help keep it from flexing when steering.

Love it so far. Shredded a full set of tires today (riding on rough pavement). One thing of concern is the handling. I tried and tried to center the steering but it still insisted on pulling one way or the other.

The radio controller to doesn't seem to be very good. Is this the case with the stock controllers?
I've done some reading but really just starting to look deeper. I haven't had time, been shredding tires lol.

Anyone have any experience with this controller? Would it be better than the stock controller?
Reef's RC REEFS54 - Raw 500 Waterproof High Torque 7.4V Brushless HV, Servo https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083QRF45...t_i_37PWY41SJEM4G9T42K92?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Better handling, smoother more precise steering? Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Also, with this controller, would I be wise to go ahead and pair it with a new/better servo?
Radiolink RC6GS V2 6 Channels RC Transmitter and Gyro Receiver R7FG, Voltage Telemetry & Long Range Control, 2.4Ghz Surface Radio Controller for RC Crawler, Drifting, Buggy Cars and Boats https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DPNNTW...t_i_547AC4P9AR5EBHKVZCSV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks!
That radio is probably the best budget radio you can get. Lots of people around here use it and the cheapo servo that calebgilmore was referring to is also my choice.

Thanks guys, is my thinking correct in that the Radiolink would net better, more precision steering?
Or is it still an RC car and steering is as such?

Thanks guys, is my thinking correct in that the Radiolink would net better, more precision steering?
Or is it still an RC car and steering is as such?
The Radiolink, coupled with a good servo, will give you great steering response. The transmitter has a lot of settings for steering, and you can customize it to the way you drive your RC vehicle.

Regarding the GYROS that come with these radios, do you really use that function?
Both my wifey and I both dislike turning it on. it tends to make our rigs not track straight on road.

Thanks!

Have you calibrated the radio and set the steering end points? Because my experience with the Typhon 6s is the complete opposite to yours. It handles and turns beautifully. I have plenty of experience with the SLT3 radio and it's a good one as far an RTR radios go. Never had any range issues.

I haven't, after researching it I will be doing that this weekend.
I'm not having range issues, it seems to want to go left or right even after I have seemingly set the steering trim. That's why I'm thinking radio controller or maybe servo issues. I've read that in stock form neither are highly regarded.

Last edited:
So I'm probably going to order this servo ZOSKAY 35kg high Torque Coreless Motor servo Metal Gear Digital and Stainless Steel Gear servo arduino servo for Robotic DIY,RC car (Control Angle 270°) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S9XZYN...t_i_CC8K6CHGFQBTXG4T8TSF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Good servo??
Do I need to order a 25t arm from Arrma, or is the Typhon 6s a 25t stock?
Thanks
Good servo, and yes you need a 25T
I have mine in the Typhon 6S V5 but the 180 deg. one

I will second the "If your typhon is having steering centering issues, something is wrong" - more than the servo or radio.

Sounds like of like one of the pivot balls may be a bit too tight from the factory. Disconnect the shocks, and the arms should move up and down smooth & free, and if you drop them, they fall down without sticking. Use a 5mm hex in the red cap to adjust the slack in the pivot ball - you don't want it to have very much play, but you don't want it too tight either.

Also, disconnect the servo horn, and check each ball-end in the steering. Make sure they are not sticking. If they are, give them a squeeze with plyers and they will loosen up a bit. While the servo is disconnected, check the bellcranks. If the bell crank are binding, or not swinging smooth, give some thought to swapping in bearings in the bell-cranks - the car comes with brash bushing.

If you check for mechanical issues and find none, then look to a new servo or radio.

Echoing the above responses. We have a v5 Typhon and it tracks straight as an arrow. My son has jumped and generally beat the snot out of it, but it powers on. I keep waiting for the stock servo to go out, but I think this cars lighter weight is saving it. The only upgrade I've done to this point is the M2C rear hinge pin kit as he has a habit on landing hard on the rear wheel(s).
I'd disconnect the servo arm and make sure everything in the steering assembly is moving as it should and work your way from there.

IMO Spectrum servos work really well, if they last. I also think the stock servos in the 3s and 6s range work better than the $25 Amazon ones everyone seems so keen on replacing them with. When my stock Vorteks servo died I replaced it with the $25 Amazon/Banggood special and it was a step backwards in performance. The steering went from sweet to sour with the replacement servo.

Out of the box my Typhon v5 servo tracks straight as an arrow and is fast and responsive. It's had 60-70 packs through it without an issue. But when the servo finally gives up it will be replaced with a JX Ecoboost 36kg. These servos are lightening fast and still great value. I put them in all my RTRs when the stock servo either dies or is just to slow.

Case in point, my Team Associated rigs stock servos are slow so they got upgraded after a few packs. I just don't feel the need to do that with the Spectrum servos as they perform great ... until they die.

Ok, so I got home and calibrated the steering. The servo was noisy at full lock until I backed off the steering trim. But.. When the servo started the stress whine, I still had several clicks of turn that could be added. Hmm..

Another thing, there's a lot of movement at the servo saver, where the bushings are. I'm attaching a picture, with a wrench pointing to where the movement is. And it's on both sides. I've read about replacing the bushings with bearings. Will going with bearings here reduce the movement when steering?

20220128_140318.jpg

Most of the movement is up and down.

Ok, so I got home and calibrated the steering. The servo was noisy at full lock until I backed off the steering trim. But.. When the servo started the stress whine, I still had several clicks of turn that could be added. Hmm..

Another thing, there's a lot of movement at the servo saver, where the bushings are. I'm attaching a picture, with a wrench pointing to where the movement is. And it's on both sides. I've read about replacing the bushings with bearings. Will going with bearings here reduce the movement when steering?

View attachment 196024
Most of the movement is up and down.
Apparently, that up and down movement is working as intended.

Apparently, that up and down movement is working as intended.
It just seems sloppy to me as far as steering.
When you hold the tire and move it back and forth, the tire has a half inch of play. How on earth can that be correct?

Hey gang, so I done a steering calibration, set the end points.

I also bought a Fast Eddys full bearing kit. So far I've only added the four bearings that replace the crappy bushings for the servo saver and the opposing steering tower (??). Those four bearings alone seems to have tightened up the steering. I'll know more tomorrow. I also added a set of Hot Racing front and rear frame braces,changed the center diff oil to 500k, and changed the front diff oil to 20k. Doing the rear diff oil tomorrow with 60k.

Bought a set of Proline Badlands for off road/bashing, and also bought a set of dBoots Hoons silver for street.
But, being so cold here in Nc at the moment the Hoons don't grip very well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back