New traxxas maxx

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it just with crazy jumping that you've had issues? What level jumping is that?
For me, it wasn't the jumping... it was the landing. ;)

With bigger air, if you land nose heavy or rear heavy at all, it cracks them. If you lawn dart, just order the parts as you go pick it up because guaranteed you broke a bulkhead. I went through 8 or 9. That was in 35 bash sessions. Most of which after going with 6S... the first 5 were on 4S with the MMX6S/1515 in it.

Is it just with crazy jumping that you've had issues? What level jumping is that?
Around 15 ft plus. Ive landed on concrete too, so that didn't help. But I don't see almost anyone complaining about cracked bulkheads. All I see is that most people believe that the Maxx V2 is the most durable RC out there.

With bigger air, if you land nose heavy or rear heavy at all, it cracks them. If you lawn dart, just order the parts as you go pick it up because guaranteed you broke a bulkhead. I went through 8 or 9. That was in 35 bash sessions. Most of which after going with 6S... the first 5 were on 4S with the MMX6S/1515 in it.
Fair point. Like I know everyone complains about eventually breaking the kraton chassis, but I've sent my pretty big and haven't bent anything. Then again, when I send big, I usually make overly sure that I can land on all 4's :ROFLMAO:

Yup. So I'm not alone then. I botched some of the landings, so that doesn't help. If you land on all 4 tires, it shouldn't be a problem with jumps. But I suck. What's crazy is that my X-Maxx jumps like twice as long and high, and I rarely break a bulkhead. I also had issues with the dumb plastic spur gear cover and motor mount . I had to put a GPM motor mount and spur gear cover so that my motor would stop shifting. Plastic hubs were being broken. So I installed all aluminum hubs and c hubs and driveshafts ( one of my plastic driveshafts broke). I didn't put much aluminum, so I don't think that the extra weight is much. I also put the HR strap for the battery since my battery tray latch kept popping off. So yeah. Lots of time and money spent as usual.

Last edited:
Yup. So I'm not alone then. I botched some of the landings, so that doesn't help. If you land on all 4 tires, it shouldn't be a problem with jumps. But I suck. What's crazy is that my X-Maxx jumps like twice as long and high, and I rarely break a bulkhead. I also had issues with the dumb plastic spur gear cover and motor mount . I had to put a GPM motor mount and spur gear cover so that my motor would stop shifting. Plastic hubs were being broken. So I installed all aluminum hubs and c hubs and driveshafts ( one of my plastic driveshafts broke). I didn't put much aluminum, so I don't think that the extra weight is much. I also put the HR strap for the battery since my battery tray latch kept popping off. So yeah. Lots of time and money spent as usual.
Have you upgraded to stiffer springs and thicker shock oil? That should help quite a bit.

I think that I did heavier shock oil but not springs. I just don't want to dump anymore $ into this.
I'd go heavier springs. I know it's a lot bigger but I was bottoming out my X Maxx and I upgraded the springs to 1.346r front and 1.45r rear. That helped a lot. I wanna say the front are 1.21r and the rears are 1.725r for the V2.

I picked up a Maxx v2 (or WideMaxx as it is called in the UK) last week as wanted something smaller for tooling around with my mate who has just got into the hobby with an MT10.

Really enjoying it so far. Managed to break a hub carrier already, albeit from crashing into a bin so it was on me.

I see a lot of people upgrade to Ali hubs and carriers. Any other recommended modifications? Do the driveshafts hold up or is it worth upgrading?

Cheers!

I see a lot of people upgrade to Ali hubs and carriers. Any other recommended modifications? Do the driveshafts hold up or is it worth upgrading?

Cheers!
That depends. If you plan on driving your truck like a maniac or you plan on upgrading to a more powerful motor then the metal driveshafts are highly recommended but not necessary. Also you'll want to change the spur gear to a metal one. The stock servo is pretty crappy so I'd suggest getting Traxxas #7749 servo adapter so you can use a standard size servo. Don't get the 2085X. It's way overpriced for what it is (brushed, slow and loud).

That depends. If you plan on driving your truck like a maniac or you plan on upgrading to a more powerful motor then the metal driveshafts are highly recommended but not necessary. Also you'll want to change the spur gear to a metal one. The stock servo is pretty crappy so I'd suggest getting Traxxas #7749 servo adapter so you can use a standard size servo. Don't get the 2085X. It's way overpriced for what it is (brushed, slow and loud).
Cheers! I am planning on keeping this one pretty stock motor wise, I bought it as my mate has got into the hobby with an MT10 so something to tool around with with him. I just have flashbacks to the plastic drive shafts on my MERV that fall apart if you look at them.

Metal spur, perfect I have a HR one somewhere for the X Max. And I even have a servo adapter kicking around :D I went with Vitavon front hubs and carriers which should be here next week. Loving it so far

Cheers! I am planning on keeping this one pretty stock motor wise, I bought it as my mate has got into the hobby with an MT10 so something to tool around with with him. I just have flashbacks to the plastic drive shafts on my MERV that fall apart if you look at them.

Metal spur, perfect I have a HR one somewhere for the X Max. And I even have a servo adapter kicking around :D I went with Vitavon front hubs and carriers which should be here next week. Loving it so far
Glad to hear. If you do upgrade the power I'd suggest the Hobbywing Max8 G2 and 4287 combo. It works beautifully and the motor runs extremely cool even without a heatsink. If you want it less "truggy" and more monster truck you should throw in some Arrma 4s/6s backflips. They work quite well.

Screenshot_20230418-064411930 (1).jpg

Traxxas to me is what you'd get if you merged the worst aspects of Apple with a low end hardware vendor, tossed in a healthy dose of Oracle style litigiousness, and somehow managed to saturate the market with the resulting products. Lots of obvious cost cutting with inflated prices to keep profit margins high combined with aggressive effort to lock customers into proprietary components and accessories and monopolize any innovation they do come up with.

I can't imagine they'd get away with anything close to what they do if they didn't benefit from first-mover advantage in the low-grade basher space and ubiquitous LHS parts support. If a new startup company released an all-plastic 4s truck with proprietary electronics and a 6s price point it would be ignored or ri
Traxxas to me is what you'd get if you merged the worst aspects of Apple with a low end hardware vendor, tossed in a healthy dose of Oracle style litigiousness, and somehow managed to saturate the market with the resulting products. Lots of obvious cost cutting with inflated prices to keep profit margins high combined with aggressive effort to lock customers into proprietary components and accessories and monopolize any innovation they do come up with.

I can't imagine they'd get away with anything close to what they do if they didn't benefit from first-mover advantage in the low-grade basher space and ubiquitous LHS parts support. If a new startup company released an all-plastic 4s truck with proprietary electronics and a 6s price point it would be ignored or ridiculed, but this thing will undoubtedly make Traxxas a lot of money.
The thing is, the truck is absolutely bulletproof in terms of toughness. This thing takes a beating and never flinches. This is the reason it is so much money. One would think this would be less durable than an all metal Arrma when in fact it is signifantly more durable. And I am hands down a bigger fan of Arrma. I literally despise every other Traxxas vechile but in the case of the Maxx, this is not your average plastic. This is some sort of high grade composite plastic that is close to unbreakable. Mine has taken multiple crashes at 50 mph and the only thing that it has to show are some superficial scratches. Comparable crashes in the Arrma Talion and TC Muraco broke shocks, arms, sway bars, hinge pins and drive shafts to name a few. I honestly think the pricing is not just in place for a big fat profit. I think they spent a good deal on parts and on designing this and that is why.
diculed, but this thing will undoubtedly make Traxxas a lot of money.
L

In the end XRT and XMaxx are insanely expensive. ESC and motor are pretty maxed out. Especially if you use heavier aftermarket tires. That's when a Max5 combo and mount are needed. After that upgrade the rest of the drive train is at it's limit. And you need new fans. Stock servo saver ist just OK but would also like an upgrade. Stock servo needs an upgrade. Drive cups need M2C rings. Rear differential spur does need replacement now and then even with a bit more than moderate bashing.
All adds up.

Or you just don't push it as hard and run the stock electronics. Just be careful in warm weather. A bit of a bitter aftertaste if you have to upgrade and don't really want to. You can buy the stock motor again if it overheats but you can't install any other motor the way the stock mount and motor (with plastic lid) is constructed. That sucks bigtime.

Not complaining, just needs to be said.

Upside is that the spare parts are pretty cheap compared to Arrma.

Last edited:
In the end XRT and XMaxx are insanely expensive. ESC and motor are pretty maxed out. Especially if you use heavier aftermarket tires. That's when a Max5 combo and mount are needed. After that upgrade the rest of the drive train is at it's limit. And you need new fans. Stock servo saver ist just OK but would also like an upgrade. Stock servo needs an upgrade. Drive cups need M2C rings. Rear differential spur does need replacement now and then even with a bit more than moderate bashing.
All adds up.

Or you just don't push it as hard and run the stock electronics. Just be careful in warm weather. A bit of a bitter aftertaste if you have to upgrade and don't really want to. You can buy the stock motor again if it overheats but you can't install any other motor the way the stock mount and motor (with plastic lid) is constructed. That sucks bigtime.

Not complaining, just needs to be said.

Upside is that the spare parts are pretty cheap compared to Arrma.

I replaced the stock esc in my X-Maxx with a max6 and changed the gearing to 20/50 for a little more power. Any electronics change I’ve made has been choice, not failure. No output sleeves, which by the way the outputs are infinitely times easier to swap than the Arrma 8s rigs.

I’ve got a buddy that beats the tar out of his all stock X-Maxx with high speed gearing in all seasons… no issues.

My Maxx has also been insanely tough for the bearings I’ve given it on 4s and 6s.

Guys can crap on Traxxas all they want, but when people try to pretend the X-Maxx and Maxx aren’t two of the strongest out of the box bashers there is, they’re just lying to themselves.

I replaced the stock esc in my X-Maxx with a max6 and changed the gearing to 20/50 for a little more power. Any electronics change I’ve made has been choice, not failure. No output sleeves, which by the way the outputs are infinitely times easier to swap than the Arrma 8s rigs.

I’ve got a buddy that beats the tar out of his all stock X-Maxx with high speed gearing in all seasons… no issues.

My Maxx has also been insanely tough for the bearings I’ve given it on 4s and 6s.

Guys can crap on Traxxas all they want, but when people try to pretend the X-Maxx and Maxx aren’t two of the strongest out of the box bashers there is, they’re just lying to themselves.

Relax, I got them both and love them both. Giving them a hard time anyway. Burned the Max6 on the XRT. And the stock motor on the XMaxx. As long as it lasts keep it stock. Depends on how you bash and what surface you drive on.

At one point I decided to keep some bashing souvenirs. And yesterday I changed another rear diff spur on the XRT - has not made it into the picture...

20221222_170747.jpg

Last weekend on the XRT:

20231015_172558.jpg

20231015_224040.jpg

Here a dumb mistake. I fastened the screws too tight on the chassis while upgrading the servo. The stock Traxxas casing for the servo was too small and I tried to compensate by to too tight ?)=(=)/&%.

20231005_002107-a.jpg

Got the GPM aluminium mount but had to bend it a bit more open to fit on the new center chassis. Savöx servo is pretty cool compared to the 40 Kilo Corally servo before. Was in a hurry and did not get the one Moirae recommended:

20231005_002115.jpg

Last edited:
Relax, I got them both and love them both. Giving them a hard time anyway. Burned the Max6 on the XRT. And the stock motor on the XMaxx. As long as it lasts keep it stock. Depends on how you bash and what surface you drive on.

At one point I decided to keep some bashing souvenirs. And yesterday I changed another rear diff spur on the XRT - has not made it into the picture...

View attachment 327461

Last weekend on the XRT:

View attachment 327462

View attachment 327469

Here a dumb mistake. I fastened the screws too tight on the chassis while upgrading the servo. The stock Traxxas casing for the servo was too small and I tried to compensate by to too tight ?)=(=)/&%.

View attachment 327467

Got the GPM aluminium mount but had to bend it a bit more open to fit on the new center chassis. Savöx servo is pretty cool compared to the 40 Kilo Corally servo before. Was in a hurry and did not get the one Moirae recommended:

View attachment 327468
After running my XRT with the XLX2 and 1100kv 5687 motor from hobbywing, I've had pretty much very little issues. I've had some really bad crashes too. Upside down landings too. I did put some drive cup sleeves. All I've broken so far after like 7 runs with the new power system : wing mount, front hub bent, and rear driveshafts bending from landing badly sideways, in one wheel etc. I've actually broken less things in my XRT than the Xmaxx. I'm very happy with the XRT. It's been more durable than I thought it would be. I'm using higher Duratrax lockup tires.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back