New Traxxas truggy????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know what kind of ESC mount this is? Just trying to plan ahead for when I need to replace my Max6 with a Max5 and if prefer it to sit lower in the chassis like this.

View attachment 286792
Looks like a WFO ESC Mount to me

76AE937A-3AAF-475E-B1E8-91EB705FD6FB.jpeg

Here’s another option as well

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4787277

Thanks. I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and swap the Max6 with a Max5. I'm sure the new fan I put on the Max6 will work fine in the summer but I don't like the idea of it running at its limit all the time.
Still on stock motor? I have no worries with max6 and stock motor but anything larger, I think I'd want a max5 or Castle. One of these days.. my wish list is loong I tell ya!!😂😂

Thanks. I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and swap the Max6 with a Max5. I'm sure the new fan I put on the Max6 will work fine in the summer but I don't like the idea of it running at its limit all the time.
You’re welcome. YMMV but when I put in the max5 I noticed a performance increase right away even with the stock motor. Your HW motor I’m sure will be very happy. 😊

Still on stock motor? I have no worries with max6 and stock motor but anything larger, I think I'd want a max5 or Castle. One of these days.. my wish list is loong I tell ya!!😂😂
Nope. 5687 1100kv. Before putting in a 21k rpm fan on my Max6 it went into thermal shutdown in about 5 mins and it was only 35° - 42° out. I have it another run last week with the new fans and the batteries lasted just under 6 mins. The ESC didn't feel all that warm but again it was decently cool out (44° I think). I have a couple Liperior packs on the way so that just leaves the ESC to deal with. The thing that's kept me from even thinking about changing to a Max5 is all the mounts I've seen have it above the rails which I really don't like.

Nope. 5687 1100kv. Before putting in a 21k rpm fan on my Max6 it went into thermal shutdown in about 5 mins and it was only 35° - 42° out. I have it another run last week with the new fans and the batteries lasted just under 6 mins. The ESC didn't feel all that warm but again it was decently cool out (44° I think). I have a couple Liperior packs on the way so that just leaves the ESC to deal with. The thing that's kept me from even thinking about changing to a Max5 is all the mounts I've seen have it above the rails which I really don't like.
I see.. according to HW site, the max5 is only like 2mm wider than the max6..got 2mm to spare in there? I don't remember how tight the fit is in my Xmaxx for the max6. I have it in original location, held down with double sided Gorilla tape. Nice and low, like it should be, no movement thus far either. Originally, I was going to drill a couple holes through the chassis for zip ties as insurance. I was too lazy TBH, but it hasn't moved yet, taken some hard landings too🤷‍♂️

I decided to treat the XRT to a Vitavon standard servo adapter and horn rather than the standard Traxxas affair. Waited the usually 2-3 weeks for it to get here and the servo horn hasn't been machined correctly and doesn't fit the servo splines. A bit gutted as was looking forward to playing this eve

I decided to treat the XRT to a Vitavon standard servo adapter and horn rather than the standard Traxxas affair. Waited the usually 2-3 weeks for it to get here and the servo horn hasn't been machined correctly and doesn't fit the servo splines. A bit gutted as was looking forward to playing this eve

Will it go onto the servo spline at all?
Mine just showed up today, would only go on maybe 1/3, gave it some wiggling and pressure, pulled it back off and repeated until I could get the screw into the servo and lock it down.

Will it go onto the servo spline at all?
Mine just showed up today, would only go on maybe 1/3, gave it some wiggling and pressure, pulled it back off and repeated until I could get the screw into the servo and lock it down.
It will go about a third on, but it is leaving deposits on the servo splines and the splines on the horn are getting mangled.

I could probably rattle it in with the screw, but it's an expensive servo and an expensive part and the cheap eBay servo horn on the workbench I tried slides on like butter. A shame as everything else Vitavon I have purchased has been awesome.

Edit: I chose violence and rattled it on lol all up and running with the Vitavon steering rack:

tempImagevXSptg.jpg

The standard servo was dead dead. I can't physically turn the shaft and all three tabs were snapped off:

tempImagePB8vjx.jpg

Now I just need to pull my finger out, put the Max5/1100 KV in and a new Tx/Rx

Last edited:
Looking good!
Turns out my BEC "issue" was just the stock receiver died. Put a new one in and got 2 packs in on the new MX43.

Tires are awesome! Grab well in all terrain, even loose gravel, no more skating on ice. Ballooning is non existent, truck stays planted and stable!
Top speed definitely took a hit, and the stock servo isn't having fun anymore, so I'll get that Savox in there soon!

Gonna try going to 20/46 gearing once Saga gets Mod 1 in stock again. A new motor may be in the horizon unless the Max6 can really help wake it up.

All you guys going Max5 has me wondering if I should have skipped the Max 6. May have to find a motor in between the Velineon and the 5687.. TP motors look good, maybe a 5650 will be a little less power hungry?
The tiny 5200 CNHLs probably won't be up for the task, as I got maybe 10 minutes a pair today with the bigger tires.

I just installed a vitavon bellcrank on the wifey xrt and it's very nice. I believe all her concrete landings stripped a gear in the servo though but that gave me an opportunity to open up my first servo and I have successfully resurrected it :ROFLMAO:

I'm using the pro modeler servo horn and it went on well enough but I had to cut a piece of the tip off to clear the driveshaft. Everything working great now though, I really appreciate the adjustable servo saver on the vitavon kit.

@KieferBotz I think tp motor is 100% out of the question for you in this application with a max 6. A 5650 is like 4mm shorter than the hw 5687 and definitely will work the esc harder.

I feel bad for you and @SYST3M_OVERIDE with those max 6's, thankfully he just decided to buy a max 5 the other day. I had to make the decision for the wifey xrt and I remember most people in this thread telling me the max 6 would be good enough. I saw videos of people complaining about temps and my own experience with the max 6 hitting thermal even way faster than the mmx8s in my 6s rigs told me it was a questionable prospect.

I think your best bet is to cut your losses, sell the max 6 or use it to upgrade another rig and just bite the bullet and get the max 5. Especially after you added the amazing but much heavier mx43's. I think there is no hope for that max 6 if you touch the motor. And I wouldn't be surprised if it's struggling already tbh. I know it sucks but =(

@KieferBotz I think tp motor is 100% out of the question for you in this application with a max 6. A 5650 is like 4mm shorter than the hw 5687 and definitely will work the esc harder.

I feel bad for you and @SYST3M_OVERIDE with those max 6's, thankfully he just decided to buy a max 5 the other day. I had to make the decision for the wifey xrt and I remember most people in this thread telling me the max 6 would be good enough. I saw videos of people complaining about temps and my own experience with the max 6 hitting thermal even way faster than the mmx8s in my 6s rigs told me it was a questionable prospect.

I think your best bet is to cut your losses, sell the max 6 or use it to upgrade another rig and just bite the bullet and get the max 5. Especially after you added the amazing but much heavier mx43's. I think there is no hope for that max 6 if you touch the motor. And I wouldn't be surprised if it's struggling already tbh. I know it sucks but =(

Yeah I still haven't opened up the Max6, maybe I'll email Amain and see if they'd be willing to take it in to trade for a max5. Doubtful as it's electronics but can't hurt to try. Surprised HW sells the Max6/5687 combo if so many are running into thermal and other issues, but maybe it's just the install in these bigger trucks and they're fine in a smaller 1/8 scale.

I almost didn't place the order after seeing @SYST3M_OVERIDE needing to install a bigger fan, but after seeing the difference with these tires, I may need a little more ESC. It never ends 🤣

I just installed a vitavon bellcrank on the wifey xrt and it's very nice. I believe all her concrete landings stripped a gear in the servo though but that gave me an opportunity to open up my first servo and I have successfully resurrected it :ROFLMAO:

I'm using the pro modeler servo horn and it went on well enough but I had to cut a piece of the tip off to clear the driveshaft. Everything working great now though, I really appreciate the adjustable servo saver on the vitavon kit.

Yeah I still haven't opened up the Max6, maybe I'll email Amain and see if they'd be willing to take it in to trade for a max5. Doubtful as it's electronics but can't hurt to try. Surprised HW sells the Max6/5687 combo if so many are running into thermal and other issues, but maybe it's just the install in these bigger trucks and they're fine in a smaller 1/8 scale.

I almost didn't place the order after seeing @SYST3M_OVERIDE needing to install a bigger fan, but after seeing the difference with these tires, I may need a little more ESC. It never ends 🤣
Boy I feel like the gineau pig here. I did just buy a Max5 but I really didn't like how much I had to spend on what I though was the ESC plate and receiver box. Only realized about 7 hours later that it was just the plate... a $25 plate. 😔

Last edited:

if it's unopened I'm sure they will work with you. They have nice customer support! I ordered a clear body from them and tucked it away for months only to pull it out and find out it was missing the clear wing that was supposed to come with it. Basically made it useless, I contacted them and they sent me a whole new body/wing and I had no hope since it had been so long since I bought it lol.
Boy I feel like the gineau pig here. I did just buy a Max5 but I really didn't like how much I had to spend on what I though was the ESC plate and receiver box. Only realized about 7 hours later that it was just the plate... a $25 plate. 😔
I think you're going to really appreciate the max 5. I don't even worry about esc temps on my xmaxx/xrt with the max 5

I'm not concerned. I just don't like how much I've spent on this truck in total.
I'm actually really curious what you spent the money on. I can't even think of that many upgrades that my xmaxx needs tbh. Even on my XRT that has given me the most problems I still haven't spent THAT MUCH on it. M2c motor mount, battery trays, m2c driveshaft, gpm dog bones, bellcrank, hr/vitavon diffs. Saga spurs and pinions. servo/motor/esc, drive cup braces and bowhouse shaft.

I just calculated everything I've spent on my first XRT and it came out to be about 2k and that's including everything except tires and lipo. Not including them since I can use both with a bunch of other rigs. My motor/esc alone were about 500$

That is a lot cheaper of a total than the number you mentioned You have to be exaggerating!! :eek: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Back