New Traxxas truggy????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty sure this will be my next RC. Unless the mojave EXB goes on some crazy super sale, this will be next. Gotta compete with my buddies xmaxx and have something comparable!

Not having the 4s batteries is what really kills me though.
Oh man I been going through it with trying to find cheap batteries that perform good. I've learned that your electronics definitely plays a big role in what batteries are good and which are bad. My o8s with the max 5 and tp 5670(102mm) is much more forgiving with batteries compared to my k8s with xlx2 and 2028 1100kv.

I just bought some socokin 4s 7600 mah and I'm having stuttering and cutout at full throttle in my kraton. My smc batteries seem to be the best ones I own but they're also the most expensive. The 8200 mah SMC HCL packs are really nice and fit the XRT and Kraton 8s just barely. I also ended up returning the socokin to Amazon and just biting the bullet and getting the 9500 mah SMC HCL packs since the other ones have been amazing. Really sucks spending 240$ on 2 batteries though.
You just need more 8S trucks to make the 4S batteries a more valuable investment!

This is definitely why I have 4 big rigs now =D

I'm pretty sure this will be my next RC. Unless the mojave EXB goes on some crazy super sale, this will be next. Gotta compete with my buddies xmaxx and have something comparable!

Not having the 4s batteries is what really kills me though.
Good for you!! I figured if the XRT was anywhere near as good as the Xmaxx, which it sure seems to be, then it's a worthy purchase. Totally hear ya on the batteries, LOL. I picked 2 CNHL 6200's from Amazon for $50 each. They're clearly not the best, but I get within 5-10 minutes short of my brother's TRX 6700's that cost him $300.. longevity is probably in his favor, but for 1/3 the cost, I feel like I'm way ahead. Plus, I don't have to buy an overpriced POS TRX charger.
Oh man I been going through it with trying to find cheap batteries that perform good. I've learned that your electronics definitely plays a big role in what batteries are good and which are bad. My o8s with the max 5 and tp 5670(102mm) is much more forgiving with batteries compared to my k8s with xlx2 and 2028 1100kv.

I just bought some socokin 4s 7600 mah and I'm having stuttering and cutout at full throttle in my kraton. My smc batteries seem to be the best ones I own but they're also the most expensive. The 8200 mah SMC HCL packs are really nice and fit the XRT and Kraton 8s just barely. I also ended up returning the socokin to Amazon and just biting the bullet and getting the 9500 mah SMC HCL packs since the other ones have been amazing. Really sucks spending 240$ on 2 batteries though.

Yeah, TRX electronics don't require much from the batteries, at least not the 8s stuff.. low(ish) power and light weight makes it easy to source batteries for. That's nothing to overlook IMO.

My buddy exclusively runs cheapo 4s zeee packs. 5200mah or something. Definitely on the small side, like they very obviously slide and clunk around inside the battery tray. But most of our bashing isn't full throttle ripping around, it's hitting jumps and futzing around, so the batteries do just find. He usually gets 30ish minutes with our bashing style. After me raving about Hoovo's, he bought some during black friday. Hoping his turn out better than mine....

So that is a possibility for me. Although yeah, i would like some nicer batteries. Just bought some Liperior and CNHL batteries for the first time, so excited to give those a go. But i hear ya, finding decent batteries at a cheap price really sucks!

My buddy exclusively runs cheapo 4s zeee packs. 5200mah or something. Definitely on the small side, like they very obviously slide and clunk around inside the battery tray. But most of our bashing isn't full throttle ripping around, it's hitting jumps and futzing around, so the batteries do just find. He usually gets 30ish minutes with our bashing style. After me raving about Hoovo's, he bought some during black friday. Hoping his turn out better than mine....

So that is a possibility for me. Although yeah, i would like some nicer batteries. Just bought some Liperior and CNHL batteries for the first time, so excited to give those a go. But i hear ya, finding decent batteries at a cheap price really sucks!
Half hour is plenty of run time IMO. The longer the run, the more likely something bad will happen with regards to overheating I feel. Do yourself a favor and make sure your batteries are NOT shucking back and forth during use.. no bueno!!

Cool, let us know how the Liperiors do. I've been tempted to try, but always end up finding some ridiculous deal on Amazon stuff.. BTW where the hell do they come up with the brand names for that China crap??🤣🤣 Socokin makes me laugh, but there's been soo many products on Amazon that I just have to wonder..
Here's a picture of my Xmaxx battery strap setup. Not gonna say it's the best, but rather that there is literally no movement of the batteries during use. Not sure which foam blocks came with the X and which I had already. The straps run down through the bottom of the chassis and back up and arond the batteries. Wasn't sure about this setup initially but after a year of shenanigans, I feel relatively confident with it.

20221113_153340.jpg

Last edited:
Half hour is plenty of run time IMO. The longer the run, the more likely something bad will happen with regards to overheating I feel. Do yourself a favor and make sure your batteries are NOT shucking back and forth during use.. no bueno!!
I've told him a that few times. He doesn't seem to think it's important, so I just hold my peace now ;)
Cool, let us know how the Liperiors do. I've been tempted to try, but always end up finding some ridiculous deal on Amazon stuff.. BTW where the hell do they come up with the brand names for that China crap??🤣🤣 Socokin makes me laugh, but there's been soo many products on Amazon that I just have to wonder..
Here's a picture of my Xmaxx battery strap setup. Not gonna say it's the best, but rather that there is literally no movement of the batteries during use. Not sure which foam blocks came with the X and which I had already. The straps run down through the bottom of the chassis and back up and arond the batteries. Wasn't sure about this setup initially but after a year of shenanigans, I feel relatively confident with it.

View attachment 261247
Gotta be cautious with those redcat straps! If there's one thing I know redcat makes that's absolutely terribly, it's their battery strap... LOL

Was jumping the kaiju a while back and after a big jump I saw a battery laying on the ground. Thought "hmm, i wonder whose battery this is...?" Once i went over, I realized it was mine that had popped out of the kaiju! Truck was totally fine, just both battery straps tore right through at the seams :ROFLMAO:

I've told him a that few times. He doesn't seem to think it's important, so I just hold my peace now ;)

Gotta be cautious with those redcat straps! If there's one thing I know redcat makes that's absolutely terribly, it's their battery strap... LOL

Was jumping the kaiju a while back and after a big jump I saw a battery laying on the ground. Thought "hmm, i wonder whose battery this is...?" Once i went over, I realized it was mine that had popped out of the kaiju! Truck was totally fine, just both battery straps tore right through at the seams :ROFLMAO:
Good point, I'll have to dig around and see what other straps I can find.. I will say, those Apex straps are pretty thick though. Cheap as chips from Amazon too.
LMAO.. huh, look at that, someone lost a strap..🤣🤣

I couldn't be bothered to read 64 pages about an rc car I probably never own, so can one of you give me a summary?
It's big, durable and fun right out of the box. Much better than a stock K8S. The end

This had to have been some of the most fun I've had sending a rig so far. Thread kinda dead now but someone gotta enjoy it 🤣
Put beauty to send it! That would be fun to see 🤣👍

I didn't have good luck with Zees. I ordered some bashing pro 8000mah 4s 100C batteries from Gens. I'll see how that goes. $205.68 for two, so not cheap at all.

Last edited:
It's big, durable and fun right out of the box. Much better than a stock K8S. The end

Put beauty to send it! That would be fun to see 🤣👍

I didn't have good luck with Zees. I ordered some bashing pro 8000mah 4s 100C batteries from Gens. I'll see how that goes. $205.68 for two, so not cheap at all.
The Zees seem okay for lower power needs..unfortunately the price has gone up with their popularity. Much better value say 2 years ago..

I can totally relate..when my brother showed up at my house last year with an Xmaxx, I was like whaaat!? $1k for that!!? No way!! Well, seeing, or in this case, "bashing" is believing, LOL. This was my first encounter with an Xmaxx in person..I truly was blown away at how well it drove, and more importantly how much of a beating it can take! Traxxas engineering is truly remarkable. Proof is there, plastic fantastic IS a truly durable and capable truck!! I swear my bro had it planned..he left the Xmaxx at my house, with batteries, charger and permission..go ahead, give it a rip.. what a jerk!! HaHa..Soo, literally less than 6 months later, I (I mean Mrs. KnowAir) got me an Xmaxx for Xmas. 😎😁🤘Now, since I already have the Xmaxx, I won't likely be buying an XRT,but if money weren't such a "thing".. I'd likely get one.
Yeah once you go X Maxx it's hard to look at anything else in the same light.
After me raving about Hoovo's, he bought some during black friday. Hoping his turn out better than mine....
Finally someone else who uses HOOVO. For the price they're damn good batteries.

Last edited:

He just had a bad experience with his hoovo =D

I've had a really positive experience with hoovo's and also a super negative experience. Currently i'm not recommending their new style packs based on my experience. I might still order the old packs if I was looking for more batteries right now.

The sucky part is that after my positive experience, I talked them up to my buddy who bought 2 pairs of their 4s packs for his xmaxx. Hoping I just two lemons and that I didn't steer him wrong.

Sounds like a kinky time went bad,LOL 🤣🤣

I'm pretty convinced all the Amazon batteries are pretty much the same.. I've not seen any notable difference from one brand to the next..including CNHL, and for that reason, I just buy the highest spec'd batteries with the lowest price. IR? Who cares, it works or it doesn't. If they get hot, they're no good..cut the leads off and round file..start over. My take.😎

Last edited:
I'm pretty convinced all the Amazon batteries are pretty much the same.. I've not seen any notable difference from one brand to the next..including CNHL, and for that reason, I just buy the highest spec'd batteries with the lowest price. IR? Who cares, it works or it doesn't. If they get hot, they're no good..cut the leads off and round file..start over. My take.😎
That's why I like HOOVO. They're the cheapest batteries with really good specs. I'm sure they aren't as good as more well known brands like gensacearespammers but for me the price is what's most important.

That's why I like HOOVO. They're the cheapest batteries with really good specs. I'm sure they aren't as good as more well known brands like gensacearespammers but for me the price is what's most important.
Agreed. I feel like keeping charts, graphs and such just ruins the fun for me. I understand that folks enjoy doing that stuff, and that's what they like to do👌 Not me, I just wanna unwind with my toys😁 saftey is definitely something to always be mindful of, of course. I just don't feel the need to get too technical with it all. I'm a firm believer in K.I.S.S..🍻

Maybe I should have tried the hoovoo or hrb 9000k packs. The socokin really couldn't handle the castle 2028 1100kv combo though. My punch wasn't even high, I actually had it super low because turning it to max leaves me with a banged up kraton 🤣. Im wondering if the other brands would have faired better as whenever I tried to go full throttle the truck would cutout like when someone tries to push a max6 too hard in a speed run and the esc says NOOOOPE.

Maybe I should have tried the hoovoo or hrb 9000k packs. The socokin really couldn't handle the castle 2028 1100kv combo though. My punch wasn't even high, I actually had it super low because turning it to max leaves me with a banged up kraton 🤣. Im wondering if the other brands would have faired better as whenever I tried to go full throttle the truck would cutout like when someone tries to push a max6 too hard in a speed run and the esc says NOOOOPE.
Unfortunately, when you run big power, you need big supply..cheapo batteries aren't gonna do it..well, not for long anyway. Nature of the Beast!!😎

When I reached 101.28mph in my Felony I was using 2 HOOVO 6.5A 120C batteries.

When I reached 101.28mph in my Felony I was using 2 HOOVO 6.5A 120C batteries.
I'm running my 1/8 KEXB with a 1650kv 4092 motor, 20t pinion. Probably excessively overgeared, I like the top end for mid air corrections. But my old set of 5.5Ah 120c hoovos are always up to the task for it, and it still has plenty of torque for wheelies and rooster tails.

View attachment 261247
So you cut holes in the battery trays ?
Does anyone what size the stock XRT fans are ? Thanks.

Last edited:
Back