New Typhon 3s, needed a custom paint job

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumguy75

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
I've painted about 7 or 8 truck bodies before and wasn't sure what look I wanted for my Typhon. I decided to try pearl black and metallic purple as the main colors, but took a long time to come up with a scheme. Finally came up with what you see below. I used different size and shape triangles on the side and below/above the cab. Decided to use bright gun metal and bright red as accent colors, all paints used were Tamiya rattle cans. I cut masks for the windows so I could paint them black. The window stickers matched the color scheme so good I decided to trim out the space in between the red bars so the painted black would show while having the silver window trims and red bars.

Really wasn't sure how well it would come out being the first buggy body I've painted, but gotta say I ended up really liking it! I still like the stock red, white and silver body and will use it for off road bashing. The purple body will go on when I want to hit the pavement with the G-Loc tires.

Typhon purple 1.jpg

Typhon purple 2.jpg

Typhon purple 3.jpg

Typhon purple 4.jpg

Thanks! I have some 6s shocks to add this week, looking forward to seeing how that looks with it.

I've painted about 7 or 8 truck bodies before and wasn't sure what look I wanted for my Typhon. I decided to try pearl black and metallic purple as the main colors, but took a long time to come up with a scheme. Finally came up with what you see below. I used different size and shape triangles on the side and below/above the cab. Decided to use bright gun metal and bright red as accent colors, all paints used were Tamiya rattle cans. I cut masks for the windows so I could paint them black. The window stickers matched the color scheme so good I decided to trim out the space in between the red bars so the painted black would show while having the silver window trims and red bars.

Really wasn't sure how well it would come out being the first buggy body I've painted, but gotta say I ended up really liking it! I still like the stock red, white and silver body and will use it for off road bashing. The purple body will go on when I want to hit the pavement with the G-Loc tires.

View attachment 193472

View attachment 193473

View attachment 193474

View attachment 193475
Looks fantastic! Post pics once you put 6s shocks on.

View attachment 193472

View attachment 193473

View attachment 193474

View attachment 193475
What did you put on the tires to help stop ballooning? Almost look like bands of some sort? Or am I seeing things…

I put some large o-rings on them, seems to work pretty good. The o-rings stretch a little so they still balloon some, but limits how far they can balloon and keeps the row of center treads flat for good traction. Stayed on for 2 packs of 3s yesterday without being glued on, so I can still take them off if I want or if I lose one they are cheap and easy to replace.

Seems no matter what I try to wrap my tires, they come off. ( 6s rigs) I tried everything, all types of Kevlar etc. I just accept the ballooning. But proper diff oils reduced much ballooning. I learned to drive better and control wheel spin now. Not a big fan of Belted tires for Off Roading. Maybe I just haven't found the right ones?? Maybe the new Methods????
I find that the best Off Road tires for me are Low profile Truggy Track pin versions. Balloon the least amount. More driveable. Made better as pre-mounts. go. ( PL and DTX)

Last edited:
I put some large o-rings on them, seems to work pretty good. The o-rings stretch a little so they still balloon some, but limits how far they can balloon and keeps the row of center treads flat for good traction. Stayed on for 2 packs of 3s yesterday without being glued on, so I can still take them off if I want or if I lose one they are cheap and easy to replace.
That’s a pretty interesting idea. Very nice! What size O-rings are you using?

That’s a pretty interesting idea. Very nice! What size O-rings are you using?
I bought 2 different sizes, the ones I am using now are 3/32" thick, 70A durometer, 4 1/4 inner diameter which fits pretty good between the tall lugs on the Badlands.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051Y0834?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Also bought some that are 1/8" thick, 90A durometer, 4 3/8 inner diameter. The higher durometer means they won't stretch as much. They fit but leave less space between the lugs because of the thickness, so I decided to run the others first. I'll try these if the others don't stay on or if I want to limit ballooning more.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051XZ1P0?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Only downside is I don't know if it will work as good once the lugs wear down a good bit, only one way to find out though, lol.

Seems no matter what I try to wrap my tires, they come off. ( 6s rigs) I tried everything, all types of Kevlar etc. I just accept the ballooning. But proper diff oils reduced much ballooning. I learned to drive better and control wheel spin now. Not a big fan of Belted tires for Off Roading. Maybe I just haven't found the right ones?? Maybe the new Methods????
I find that the best Off Road tires for me are Low profile Truggy Track pin versions. Balloon the least amount. More driveable. Made better as pre-mounts. go. ( PL and DTX)
I tried using high strength braided fishing line, but it wore out fast even on 3s and I didn't care for the way it looked.

I bought 2 different sizes, the ones I am using now are 3/32" thick, 70A durometer, 4 1/4 inner diameter which fits pretty good between the tall lugs on the Badlands.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051Y0834?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Also bought some that are 1/8" thick, 90A durometer, 4 3/8 inner diameter. The higher durometer means they won't stretch as much. They fit but leave less space between the lugs because of the thickness, so I decided to run the others first. I'll try these if the others don't stay on or if I want to limit ballooning more.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051XZ1P0?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Only downside is I don't know if it will work as good once the lugs wear down a good bit, only one way to find out though, lol.

I tried using high strength braided fishing line, but it wore out fast even on 3s and I didn't care for the way it looked.
Thanks! I may end up trying this. Good idea

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back