Typhon New Typhon 4x4 Mega

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketzx1

Very Active Member
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
  2. Nero
  3. Outcast 4s
  4. Senton 3s
  5. Talion EXB
  6. Infraction 4x4
Hey! Have you all seen Arrma drop the introduction of the newest addition to the Arrma lineup? They just announced the Typhon 4x4 Mega 1/8th scale. Webpage say it’ll do 30+ with the brushed motor! That’s pretty quick for a 1/8th buggy on brushed power.

All of my rc trucks/cars are brushless except my Fazon Voltage, and I like that the Fazon isn’t as crazy on power as the rest of my rcs.

I’m really excited about this release, and I’ll be getting one of these brushed Typhons and running the snot out of it on brushed power.

Here’s the link to the webpage for you all to go see!

https://www.arrma-rc.com/rc-cars/latest/typhon/mega/4x4

Hey! Have you all seen Arrma drop the introduction of the newest addition to the Arrma lineup? They just announced the Typhon 4x4 Mega 1/8th scale. Webpage say it’ll do 30+ with the brushed motor! That’s pretty quick for a 1/8th buggy on brushed power.

All of my rc trucks/cars are brushless except my Fazon Voltage, and I like that the Fazon isn’t as crazy on power as the rest of my rcs.

I’m really excited about this release, and I’ll be getting one of these brushed Typhons and running the snot out of it on brushed power.

Here’s the link to the webpage for you all to go see!

https://www.arrma-rc.com/rc-cars/latest/typhon/mega/4x4

I get surprised every day ? I'm glad someone is excited for this!

I get surprised every day ? I'm glad someone is excited for this!

I’ve wanted a nice buggy for bashing and tries my hand at what I thought, were decent built and good quality rcs only to find that they are indeed junk.

That’s why I’m so excited for this release. I’ve been wanting to get a Typhon for a while, and while the BLX model at 299 is a very good price, the brushed model will be more than enough for me :)

Most disappointing Arrma release in a while. While I get that not everyone can afford $300 for a new RC car, this is $80 less and has the 48p spur and probably some other things that make it not brushless-ready. The BLX100 ESC and motor are fantastic and well worth spending $80 more.

Unless they have a 775 motor in it I wouldn't waste my time with it.

You guy's just burst OPs bubble!! Lol
I'd rather have had someone burst my bubble and save my money than have an exciting new toy that suddenly and drastically falls short of my expectations. My old mega setup is currently set up as a 2wd undergeared wheely machine that I slapped back together for the kids to run on nimh at their liesure. I realized that all the parts I upgraded on it generated a whole truck again...

I understand that some of you don’t care for this release, and that’s cool. I get why, and I respect your opinions. But for me, this is pretty exciting. I don’t need it to have the best stuff in order for me to have fun, and as long as it works as it’s intended, it’ll be good enough for me. If I ever do get the itch for more power, I can always upgrade to a BLX system and I’m fine with that.

I made this post to share my excitement about something I’m looking forward to. I had hoped you all could share in my excitement too.

I understand that some of you don’t care for this release, and that’s cool. I get why, and I respect your opinions. But for me, this is pretty exciting. I don’t need it to have the best stuff in order for me to have fun, and as long as it works as it’s intended, it’ll be good enough for me. If I ever do get the itch for more power, I can always upgrade to a BLX system and I’m fine with that.

I made this post to share my excitement about something I’m looking forward to. I had hoped you all could share in my excitement too.
That's exactly the problem with the granite, it didn't work as intended. A 4x4 monster truck should be able to go in grass. Hopefully they figured out how to keep the motors and esc's alive. No one is trying to undermine your excitement, just trying to give fair warning.

Countdown to the OP asking for what is needed to upgrade to brushless starts now...
giphy.gif

That's exactly the problem with the granite, it didn't work as intended. A 4x4 monster truck should be able to go in grass. Hopefully they figured out how to keep the motors and esc's alive. No one is trying to undermine your excitement, just trying to give fair warning.

This^

The problem with them is a 550 brushed motor just doesn't cut the mustard in anything 1/10th scale and 4x4 let alone an 8th scale. Just look at all the current posts of people burning up the stock brushed motors in their Megas.

Brushed rcs are a waste of money, you will run it a few times with the stock brushed motor, burn up the motor and replace 1 or 2 then want to upgrade to brushless anyway. Spend the extra $80 it costs for a BLX model and call it a day. You will spend a lot more than $80 upgrading the brushed model to accept brushless power.

I don't think it's a bad idea on Arrma's part. Doesn't cost them much and good margin I imagine.
Maybe tracks have races that require brushed motors anymore? No idea.
Tame for a young driver
Upgrade to brushless if you want /learn/ but maybe some want tame and durable.
I can't imagine what could break on a stock buggy this light.
Granite brushed worked more before the big stuff ....but Granite still works for fun and people still invest in it.
Some don't run em as often or hard and they want a nice toy to play with here and there.
It's their toughest brushed offering yet.

Not for me but I still like the options.

I think it's a market read. Try a big car that's cheaper and see if the people buy it. For christ sake, between their other insane 1/10 and 1/8th scale cars this is kind of nice. A big, slow, cheap(ish), rugged RC to give your kid on Christmas... sure beats them releasing a 1/12 or 1/14 scale car.

I remember my first couple of cars when I first got into this hobby and this would be much better than any of those. If this is to be their entry point vehicle for that market then I get it and like it. If anyone owns an Arrma already then I don’t think this will appear in their lineup by any stretch....horses for courses I guess

. My old mega setup is currently set up as a 2wd undergeared wheely machine that I slapped back together for the kids to run on nimh at their liesure. I realized that all the parts I upgraded on it generated a whole truck again...
Congrats! You found the target market for these Mega trucks! They are not for us hardcore guys, they are for new guys, kids, that don't need 50mph to feel mildly entertained...

Most disappointing Arrma release in a while. While I get that not everyone can afford $300 for a new RC car, this is $80 less and has the 48p spur and probably some other things that make it not brushless-ready. The BLX100 ESC and motor are fantastic and well worth spending $80 more.
It may not be their best release in our opinion, but at least they didn't do a teaser for it like their previous "new" vehicles. I remember how much of a letdown the release of the Notorious was. They ramp everybody up for a few days to announce an Outcast with a different body.

I wonder if this 4x4 Mega has all of the same short comings that the rest of the Megas have where you need to do $200 in upgrades for it to handle brushless or if the left in the upgraded parts? If they have the same lesser parts, it won't be a very good idea to get this and upgrade it to brushless.

I do however really like the green body though. Wish I had that on my 6s Typhon.

Congrats! You found the target market for these Mega trucks! They are not for us hardcore guys, they are for new guys, kids, that don't need 50mph to feel mildly entertained...
Unfortunately I still had to put a brushless in it to keep it afloat. So with the 220 for the truck and 60 for the combo, I'm real close to the 3s cost... and that one came with the tactic which saved me a little bit too. I agree it's a good way to draw people in, but it would be better if it wasn't self destructive.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back