Typhon New Typhon 4x4 Mega

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow so much negativity over one persons excitement about a new offering from Arrma.

Is brushed motors everyones thing, no. Is everyone willing or able to spend larger amounts of money on an RC car, no.

So what it's not for you, let the guy have a little excitement. I mean I get what everyone is saying about there are obviously going to be people who buy into this and then look at upgrading it and really they would have been better off buying the BLX from the get go.

In this case it's clearly not the case, he's had/has a number of other brushless RC's and for one reason or another (or no reason) is wanting a brushed RC.

I personally think this is a good move for Arrma. Traxxas did this and continue to do this today offering brushless and brushed versions of the same RC. Not everyone has the same needs and/or budget so capitalize on the entire market buy offering different versions at different price points.

I have two younger kids and really have no need for a brushless setup anytime in the near future, they are just far to young for it. Save a few bucks and get a brushed setup - perfect.

At the end of the day I think we should allow those the enjoy the hobby to do just that and not chastise them because it doesn't match with our own personal likes or dislikes.

Wow so much negativity over one persons excitement about a new offering from Arrma.

Is brushed motors everyones thing, no. Is everyone willing or able to spend larger amounts of money on an RC car, no.

So what it's not for you, let the guy have a little excitement. I mean I get what everyone is saying about there are obviously going to be people who buy into this and then look at upgrading it and really they would have been better off buying the BLX from the get go.

In this case it's clearly not the case, he's had/has a number of other brushless RC's and for one reason or another (or no reason) is wanting a brushed RC.

I personally think this is a good move for Arrma. Traxxas did this and continue to do this today offering brushless and brushed versions of the same RC. Not everyone has the same needs and/or budget so capitalize on the entire market buy offering different versions at different price points.

I have two younger kids and really have no need for a brushless setup anytime in the near future, they are just far to young for it. Save a few bucks and get a brushed setup - perfect.

At the end of the day I think we should allow those the enjoy the hobby to do just that and not chastise them because it doesn't match with our own personal likes or dislikes.

He must always have a market for everyone. (y)
It is the base of a great company. :love:
Offer products for different age groups at different prices It is a benefit for the customer and a chance for those who can not spend huge amounts of money. (y):love:(y)
Yvan :cool:

I'm still new to this hobby, and speak from only 14 months of experience, but it seems like an rc that's only good for 6-8 runs before the motor smokes is not a good way to introduce newcomers to the hobby. I still had fun upgrading, but the amount spent was irritating. This is where my "love" for the mega line comes from. If it wasn't for Arrma Forum, I would have bailed after the 2nd motor, and assumed arrma was nothing more than a glorified tyco, at an inflated price. There has to be a better option to what they put in these builds. It doesn't need to be a 40 or 50 mph, 30' jumping basher that can be wrapped around a tree with no consequences. Just something that can run wide open through a yard at 15 or 20 without turning into a paper weight would be great. I get that brushed has a life span, but is it really that short? I'm sure I've missed a ton since my outlaw

But seriously, at least the thing never let the smoke out.

Again, I am not experienced in this hobby. I don't know. I could be ignorant. I'm trying to understand, really. I probably need more time invested.

If the brushed Typhon had a brushed motor/ESC, plastic turnbuckles and plastic hexes and sold for $80 less, fine. As long as it still had a 32p spur gear, a decent slipper and the metal input shaft (or whatever that problem was with the brushed Granite) and you could stick a moderate brushless system in there.

At this point, selling a $220 RTR that is NOT brushless capable is pretty silly. Even Traxxas brushed models are brushless capable out of the box.

I just checked -- the new brushed Typhon comes with the plastic input/sun gear for the diffs, so you would definitely need to swap out all your diffs. (n)

Last edited:
If the brushed Typhon had a brushed motor/ESC, plastic turnbuckles and plastic hexes and sold for $80 less, fine. As long as it still had a 32p spur gear, a decent slipper and the metal input shaft (or whatever that problem was with the brushed Granite) and you could stick a moderate brushless system in there.

At this point, selling a $220 RTR that is NOT brushless capable is pretty silly. Even Traxxas brushed models are brushless capable out of the box.

I just checked -- the new brushed Typhon comes with the plastic input/sun gear for the diffs, so you would definitely need to swap out all your diffs. (n)
I am safe to assume the diffs are probably the same gear ratio as the other Megas?

Coupon code AFFBG10 brings the price down to $251.99.
Dude that car even includes a 5000mah 3s lipo and 2 bodies.

This place has another color option with orange anodized parts and different wheels https://www.geekbuying.com/item/ZD-...D-Electric-Buggy-RC-Car-RTR-Black-418558.html

Roller for $189.99 before any discount codes still looks like it comes with 2 bodies https://www.banggood.com/ZD-Pirates...s=detail-left-hotproducts__6&cur_warehouse=CN

Last edited:

Good point.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back