Typhon New typhon shim help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Typhon2016

Reaction score
My new v2 typhon will be here Monday!!
Anyway i want to shim the diffs before i bash on it. I've done my fair share of searching and gathering info on the process. I just need a specific part number for the correct shim kit.
Please help. Thanks

is shimming really required? I haven't done mine to date
Required in the sense that if you don't then your RC will blow up into a million pieces while burn your house down and cause a 10.0 earthquake all at the same time? Then No.

But if you're looking for something that will increase the life of your drivetrain and reduce maintenance then shimming will certainly help and recommended.

Just like you can run your RC in a watery mud pit everyday and never clean it... will the RC run the next day? Probably, but don't expect everything to last as long as it would have if you properly maintained it and cleaned it. Shimming is just another way to better maintain the RC.

is shimming really required? I haven't done mine to date
I have not done mine either, its easy to check, if its not broken don't fix it. Check the proper diff oil and all is nice and tight, thread lock as need be and have some fun.
All RTR need to be diff oiled before its first run, and does not hurt to check. On a buggy leave some play, don't have the diff gears too tight, on a truggy heavier rig have closer tolerances (exactly how Adam Drake recommends on his diff setups)...

After about a year or so of owning mine it needs a shim on each side underneath the planetarium gear or whatever its called, and some shimming outside to aligh w the main spider input gear, but nothing crazy. And anyway, its a year which in all reality I should just swap all internals w a fresh pack annually anyway.

Good luck

* Typhon2016, use the search tool my friend, is there for a reason. This subject has been overly spam covered a thousand times.

Attachments

• IMG_20180317_101045.jpg
    IMG_20180317_101045.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 18-03-19-22-07-06-785_deco.jpg
    18-03-19-22-07-06-785_deco.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
I did plenty of searching. With plenty of conflicting opinions. Much like the to shim or not to shim subject.
I was looking for specific part numbers. But thanks for your contribution.

Where in that post does it specify which shims work with which model from arrma? Then you have shims with varying thicknesses, different versions of every arrma model.
I was just looking for a specific part number to a specific model.

Thank you again. Much appreciated.

screenshot_20180209-144719-png.15404

Dude, go ask it in that thread!

You are a new guy, w/e, you got all triggered just because I told you to use the Noob tool as I call it, which is the search box.

I went and put the word shim on the search bar and the result was the following links;

(I did not add them, for YOU to find them. It took me less than 5 minutes to find at least THREE links that explain everything you need to know.

It even has a video, includes part numbers and for which models, and if you are not sure just ask on those threads. All I am saying do a little bit of research. The thread could have started with, hey I found the following links and I have doubts to which diff does it go to etc...

And within Google with the word shim differential, limitless results.

It seems you're the one who was triggered...I already got the answer I needed from woodie...without any issue.
Thanks for you're contribution.

NOW you got the answer, LOL! After all, you did not learn anything.

Am not triggered one bit, just amazes me how something so simple and so overly reviewed, and talked about on this thread, you still in limbo as what needs to be done.

You like to be spoon fed, so be it.

Use the search tool, dedicate some time and familiarize yourself w the forum. Thousands of members have used those links and you are the only one still confused, too complicated, ditto...

Google the words "shim ARRMA differential" and there is tons of information. If you would have done your homework, thats a different story.

what amazes me is how someone obviously so agitated ( triggered) over the subject chose to respond in the first place...When I had already gotten an answer. Haha
Thank you again for taking time out of you're obviously busy life.

Thats all you can do, take other people's line.

don't worry, we will keep giving you fish to eat, instead of teaching you how to.

You still confused, am not giving you an answer to your question. This is about using the search tool, it was a very objective advise, nothing else. The one who got all triggered, Ooff, is you, you keep coming back w more excuses than a 3rd grader. Learn to LEARN my friend, instead of been spoon fed.

So lets see, Which part is it then?

Last edited:
actually I asked a very specific question. You felt the need to give a very vague answer. And follow with a 3 year old like tantrum.
Thanks again my triggered friend...

I did not provide an answer to your question, I am telling you to stop been fed and learn to LEARN.

"A specific number for the correct shim kit???"

That is NOT specific.
There is no incorrect, unless you want an incorrect part number.

If you go over the list it all depends.

So which one is it?

What did you learn? Besides using other people's lines...

Attachments

• 1_vrQWgUHo1k5JiIGKGA9HGw.jpeg
    1_vrQWgUHo1k5JiIGKGA9HGw.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 39
You're right. You didn't provide an answer. Woodie did...
You just provided a bunch of non sense I could of done without....
Thanks again

You're right. You didn't provide an answer. Woodie did...
You just provided a bunch of non sense I could of done without....
Thanks again
How to shim, if need to shim, what part numbers to use on this subject is not the easiest to search for a definite answer. There are also many different shim sets that will work and this can become a bit confusing, especially for new Arrma members who have never shimmed a diff before.

I've heard the older diffs needed shimming, especially if using 6S, however, when I opened up my rear diff on my V3 Kraton (after hrs of 6S use), the diff looked brand new. It looks like the new V3 diffs are good. I did not need to really shim the diff, but since I had it apart and was adding different weight oil, I changed all four (4) of the stock 3.5x12x.15mm Arrma shims to four (4) .2mm shims. I did not need to do this, but diff was still smooth when doing this, and I tried many "dry" test fits with different shims, etc. I did find the diff became too tight when I tried any 5x18 shims behind either of the larger sun gears, so I did not use any 5x18 shims. There are more options for 3.5x12 shims, so you don't have to get the Mugen (MUGE0206) shim set.

Another shim size to get is 13x16 for the outdrives. Since my outdrive shim was bent, I changed the Arrma 13x16x.20 to a slightly thicker .3 thick shim which put the crown/pinion closer, which can be a good thing on a heavier truggy.

I'm not sure about the V2 Typhon diff, but my V3 Kraton diff was ok and did not need shimming. I just played around a little bit with some different shims, etc, since I already had the diff opened up for inspection, and thought I'd try some dry fits, especially since I have a lot of different shims to use and choose from. I have not opened up my other 2 diffs on my Kraton or on my V3 Talion yet, but I sure like what I've seen so far, as no wear at all. For the V3 diffs, I'm thinking the best plan would be 6-12 months of diff wear and tear, is maybe change the (4) 3.5x12x.15mm thick shims to .20mm thick shims, which would make up for the wear and play that might happen by then. Also could maybe add one of the 5x18 shims, if any diff play by this time?

Anyways, we always welcome new Arrma members.

Team durango shims no longer exist for the record. Mugen seiki shims are about $15 but their the next best thing.

Attachments

• 20180401_145011_HDR.jpg
    20180401_145011_HDR.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 45
I have not done mine either, its easy to check, if its not broken don't fix it. Check the proper diff oil and all is nice and tight, thread lock as need be and have some fun.
All RTR need to be diff oiled before its first run, and does not hurt to check. On a buggy leave some play, don't have the diff gears too tight, on a truggy heavier rig have closer tolerances (exactly how Adam Drake recommends on his diff setups)...

After about a year or so of owning mine it needs a shim on each side underneath the planetarium gear or whatever its called, and some shimming outside to aligh w the main spider input gear, but nothing crazy. And anyway, its a year which in all reality I should just swap all internals w a fresh pack annually anyway.

Good luck

* Typhon2016, use the search tool my friend, is there for a reason. This subject has been overly spam covered a thousand times.
Id shim a buggy because this happened to me twice on a non shimmed factory diff with fresh oils

Attachments

• 15226131886931352396786.jpg
    15226131886931352396786.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 51
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back