Talion New tyres for Off and On road

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartd

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
I've had a great time driving the Talion V3 around, so good that the tires re getting pretty low.
Any recommendations for replacements that are suited to off and on road (grass, dirt and tarmac) driving ?

I've been looking at the dboots back-flips or proline badlands but think they're best suited to off road and might not be the best 'all round' choice ?

Preference to premounted tyres. I think if I go for something big(ish) like the back-flips then I should be looking for them on 1/2 offset wheels (or I'm wrong feel free to tell me, I won't mind).

Lots of people run Backflips on Talion, if you check out @Rich Duperbash videos on Youtube, I think he love the backflips on the Talion.

There really isn't a great tire for dirt,grass, and tarmac. MX series badlands aren't bad, but they have ballooning issues that needs to be thought about.

SRC Terrain Crushers probably fit the bill the best, but they are not the best for jumping due to no cushion to help with landings.

I would recommend picking up and extra set of wheels/tires to use on tarmac, some of us, have a thread about some KForce that work very well on tarmac and are pretty reasonable priced. Only takes a couple minutes to swap them on for road cruising.

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/few-pictures-of-the-ebay-wheels-and-tires.7443/

TT

Lots of people run Backflips on Talion, if you check out @Rich Duperbash videos on Youtube, I think he love the backflips on the Talion.

There really isn't a great tire for dirt,grass, and tarmac. MX series badlands aren't bad, but they have ballooning issues that needs to be thought about.

SRC Terrain Crushers probably fit the bill the best, but they are not the best for jumping due to no cushion to help with landings.

I would recommend picking up and extra set of wheels/tires to use on tarmac, some of us, have a thread about some KForce that work very well on tarmac and are pretty reasonable priced. Only takes a couple minutes to swap them on for road cruising.

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/few-pictures-of-the-ebay-wheels-and-tires.7443/

TT
I actually haven't tried my Backflips on the V3 Talion. Only the Katars, Badland 3.8s, and Shockwaves. I still LOVE the Backflips on my Kraton, but didn't think I would get easy enough chassis slap running them on the Talion with shorter towers and shocks. I assumed they were a bit tall for the V3 design and would overload the suspension components.

I've ordered the Backflips. Like you say they seem to be a popular choice so I've followed the crowd!
I was looking at the SRC Terrain Crushers, found them pre mounted to very nice looking red wheels that would have set the Talion off nicely. Maybe next time for them.
Thanks for the link, I'll have a look through at the KForce tires as well.

I actually haven't tried my Backflips on the V3 Talion. Only the Katars, Badland 3.8s, and Shockwaves. I still LOVE the Backflips on my Kraton, but didn't think I would get easy enough chassis slap running them on the Talion with shorter towers and shocks. I assumed they were a bit tall for the V3 design and would overload the suspension components.

Well, I stand corrected, must of been thinking of the Badlands 3.8's maybe. Well, not many out there go as "Big Air" as you brother, so I think they are still a solid choice for most of us :)

TT

The terrain crushers don't hook up well on dirt and wheel spin a lot in the grass. They are also prone to cracking on big air. That said, they are better offroad than typical onroad tires are and they don't balloon. They grip like your on rails on pavement. Cause a lot of traction rolls on my ERBE and SavageFlux until I spun a hex in one of them.

You might want to look at a set of kraton tires. They appear to have a larger contact patch than the backflips, so they may hold up better on pavement while still giving ok grip in dirt/grass.

I ran the trencher 3.8's on my outcast for a bit, but unless you gear down, then tend to cause overheating issues. I ended up going with a set of traxxas 3.8" emaxx tires/wheels. They aren't as big diameter and are lighter than the trenchers and even the backflips.

Well, I stand corrected, must of been thinking of the Badlands 3.8's maybe. Well, not many out there go as "Big Air" as you brother, so I think they are still a solid choice for most of us :)

TT
You're probably right brother :). I should mount the Backflips and take a better look. That said, I really love how she handles with smaller wheels. Just rips with the lighter Katars on there:eek::eek::rolleyes:

Well I ordered 4 x dboots backflips and received one pair as the that was all the dealer had. They seem to be very scarce in the UK (and expensive to import) so I'm looking at cheaper options for now. Has anyone tried Fastrax tyres ? There are a few of their sets that are half the price.

There are some nice options in there site for 1/8 wheels/tires.

At first I thought many looked similar to the ones NitroRCX imports and sells, but there are quite a few I haven't seen before.

They need more detail about size/dimensions on their site, you may need to email them and ask for details on a couple options to see how they would size out. Something like this: https://www.fastrax-rc.com/index.ph...rax-18-maze-block-mounted-on-8-spoke-black-pr may be a good option depending on sizing.

TT

I've e-mailed to ask about a couple of the sets. Hopefully the details will suit as I'm thinking they're worth a try at those prices.

Yeah, for sure, just verify the wheel diameter, the hex size, and them total diameter/width of the tire.

You'll want something similar in size.

TT

I ended up ordering Sweep Road Crushers for on road use. Think they'll be here just in time! ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180919-160940_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20180919-160940_Gallery.jpg
    498.4 KB · Views: 118
The weather was OK here today so fitted the back flips and got out on the grass with the Talion v3 and my son (11). The car handles very differently from the standard Katar tyres. We used to pull the throttle right back and the Talion would kinda sink back a little and just zoom away. Now if we do the same with the Backflips on it wheelies and flips over, lol. We've had a few traction rolls when turning and nose flips when stopping sharply as well. Tried some small jumps and ended up breaking the spoiler off by pulling a wheelie at take off, it just popped the screws though so was easily secured back on.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180922-143229_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20180922-143229_Gallery.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 134
3.8 Badlands for Talion V3......My opinion best all around tire for it.....

Thanks for the suggestions!
I've adjusted the dial on the shock absorbers to lower the ride height and the Talion is driving a lot better with the Backflips now. Think I still preferred the Katars but I'll be able to live with these now.

i run proline trencher x 3.8 on my summit on 4s. car's geared a bit lower than stock and so far ok with little ballooning. haven't tried that on my talion v3 yet.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back