New V4 Kraton body shoe goo failure !!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BashingBrian

#ArrmaAddict #RCwhore
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Mojave EXB
  3. Outcast 8s
  4. Outcast EXB
  5. Talion EXB
  6. Typhon 6s
Hi everybody...

So for the first time ever, I've just dry wall taped and shoe goo'd my new body..
Never used shoe goo before as I'm in England and its hard to get over here..!!
But as everyone says its the best stuff I thought what the hell I'll try to get some.

Well, I got some and I've made a real balls up of it ??....
I stuck all the dry wall tape down and it kept lifting before I'd even applied the shoe goo ? the stuff is so thick its nearly impossible to spread.!! I used a brush and a spreader to move it around.
Must have done something wrong as it looks like ?..? Its drying outside as I type this and I'm not really happy with it, will probably try to add another coat tomorrow to see if I can save my 1/2 reinforced body...

Normally I would use aluminium tape all over the body, then gorilla tape on hard wear areas..!!

Anyway at least the outside of the body looks cool...?

Here's a pic before the shoe goo... and my normal method or reinforcing..??

Attachments

• IMG_2239.jpeg
    IMG_2239.jpeg
    340.1 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_1937 2.jpg
    IMG_1937 2.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 191
Only use the shoe goo in fragile areas, like corners and such where the body is prone to cracking. I use a popsicle stick to apply and spread it around, brushes don't quite do the trick. If you cover the whole body with that stuff it's going to be a heavy brick. You still want the body to flex in some areas.

I use a 1” putty knife and spread it very thin cause it will drip. I also added these very thin washers where the body posts go through. This is my 4th time doing it and my first time was probably the same experience your having it does get better

Attachments

• 7DB3D313-A13B-45AC-A91E-3ACF6F7BC480.jpeg
    7DB3D313-A13B-45AC-A91E-3ACF6F7BC480.jpeg
    437.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 4BF5B1BF-1541-48D9-8E93-AA2247132A94.jpeg
    4BF5B1BF-1541-48D9-8E93-AA2247132A94.jpeg
    558.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 3D376997-D6CF-49F4-B681-0A3F76D006D6.jpeg
    3D376997-D6CF-49F4-B681-0A3F76D006D6.jpeg
    364.3 KB · Views: 78
I've used both Gorilla tape and the shoe goo/fiber glass tape method. The Gorilla tape on my New Outcast body is holding up remarkably well. I used a heat gun after each strip of tape that I applied, as it worked to get the tape a little more pliable, and attach itself in the harder to get spots. When I use the shoe goo, I cut out a 3" x 3" piece of thick corrugated cardboard, and round off two of the corners. The cardboard allows me to spread the goo nice and thin, and the rounded corners helps to get it in the corners and crevices. I'll likely continue with the Gorilla tape in the future.

So I finished the body yesterday, I used more shoe goo but applied it with just my finger ?? that works so much better..!!

I then covered the body with gorilla tape and hit it with the heat gun, it's nearly tripled in weight.

I'm happy now..?, hopefully its nearly un breakable..???

IMG_2275.jpeg

Hi everybody...

So for the first time ever, I've just dry wall taped and shoe goo'd my new body..
Never used shoe goo before as I'm in England and its hard to get over here..!!
But as everyone says its the best stuff I thought what the hell I'll try to get some.

Well, I got some and I've made a real balls up of it ??....
I stuck all the dry wall tape down and it kept lifting before I'd even applied the shoe goo ? the stuff is so thick its nearly impossible to spread.!! I used a brush and a spreader to move it around.
Must have done something wrong as it looks like ?..? Its drying outside as I type this and I'm not really happy with it, will probably try to add another coat tomorrow to see if I can save my 1/2 reinforced body...

Normally I would use aluminium tape all over the body, then gorilla tape on hard wear areas..!!

Anyway at least the outside of the body looks cool...?

Here's a pic before the shoe goo... and my normal method or reinforcing..??

I might do other methods with my stock bodies (i.e. gorilla tape, etc.), but this is my preferred method, when you lay down your drywall mesh I tack down the corners and edges with maybe hot glue (or shoe goo and just let that dry first), and so when I get to layering the goo over the rest, it doesn't pull up (also you really want to squish it into the mesh and body for the best adherence. Also, for bodies with more details in them, you might want to work in sections (my method can take some time, though).

What does the heat gun do? I know it heats the tape, but do you then go over it with a roller or something to work the tape into itself? Or do you just apply heat and let it cool?

Ordered one of those "unbreakable" ones from the guy in Germany for my outcast... but I have a couple bodies for my stampede that are cheap/thin/flimsy.

I used the heat gun then used my fingers to press it all down, not too hot as to burn finger though..??

I'm only trying the heat gun method for the first time, watched a vid with @Rich Duperbash and he said about the heat gun melting the glue on the tape or words to that effect..??

Roller is no good as too many angles etc..

I've used both Gorilla tape and the shoe goo/fiber glass tape method. The Gorilla tape on my New Outcast body is holding up remarkably well. I used a heat gun after each strip of tape that I applied, as it worked to get the tape a little more pliable, and attach itself in the harder to get spots. When I use the shoe goo, I cut out a 3" x 3" piece of thick corrugated cardboard, and round off two of the corners. The cardboard allows me to spread the goo nice and thin, and the rounded corners helps to get it in the corners and crevices. I'll likely continue with the Gorilla tape in the future.

I used EPDM rubber tape on mine. Seems to be holding up good so far . Has anyone tried spray on box liner ?

I've seen picks of people using Flex Seal. The stuff on commercials. It looked uniform and layed out nice. Would like to try it.

I didn't use drywall tape or shoegoo. I just used Gorilla Tape and a heat gun. I heated it until the tape was almost sliding off of it's self then pressed it with the back of a small screwdriver and let it cool. It's taken alot of abuse but next body I'm doing the dry wall tape, shoe goo and Gorrila tape.

Just thought of this. What about that spray on bed liner/ undercoating? My kid works in an auto shop that does undercoatings. Gonna have to try it out.

I didn't use drywall tape or shoegoo. I just used Gorilla Tape and a heat gun. I heated it until the tape was almost sliding off of it's self then pressed it with the back of a small screwdriver and let it cool. It's taken alot of abuse but next body I'm doing the dry wall tape, shoe goo and Gorrila tape.

Just thought of this. What about that spray on bed liner/ undercoating? My kid works in an auto shop that does undercoatings. Gonna have to try it out.
I think the 40 meter tower guys on youtube did that to a watermelon, then dropped it off. It bounced.

Love watching those guys drop stuff. lol!

Clear Gorilla tape ?? And shoe gooed in chop stick body braces!

Attachments

• A6D145C9-64B2-4AD9-A54F-BA02BBD54790.jpeg
    A6D145C9-64B2-4AD9-A54F-BA02BBD54790.jpeg
    269 KB · Views: 77
one thing to note about the drywall tape is that there are versions with a small amount adhesive on them. This helps immensely on getting it to stick to the body before and during goo application....i finally gave up with the mess and smell (live in an apartment lol) and ordered a russian body but my reinforced areas with the drywall tape and goo have held up great on my other bodies.

I'm curious how flexseal and heated on gorilla tape would do.
Seems like it would be alot easier. Shoo goo method looks like it can be a nightmare if done wrong

Kind of funny how 90% of this "reinforcement" wouldn't be needed if these trucks had proper roll bars in them to support the top of the cab of the body. Sure, the tail will still get munged up, but almost all my damage is from the body flexing at the base of the windshield and rear window. All that energy also goes to the body mount holes.

The only truck I had out of the box that had any "body" support where it needs to be was the old savage. The revo sort of had it... if you ran a low slung body on it. Well, the nitro revo and jato did.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back