Typhon New v5 Typhon owner....a few questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dcmkx2001

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Picked up a v5 Typhon for 400 a week ago on Amazon....seems like a great deal. I put on a Hot Racing servo mount and was wondering if there are any other necessary upgrades most do out of the box?

I don't do any jumps, really bought it for speed on the road and the occasional run through the grass. I want a set of road tires and was leaning towards the hoons....which ones have the best grip?

Picked up a v5 Typhon for 400 a week ago on Amazon....seems like a great deal. I put on a Hot Racing servo mount and was wondering if there are any other necessary upgrades most do out of the box?

I don't do any jumps, really bought it for speed on the road and the occasional run through the grass. I want a set of road tires and was leaning towards the hoons....which ones have the best grip?
Gold hoons have the most grip.

Heres the chart for Hoons compound :
Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 7.55.14 PM.png

FWIW, in my anecdotal experience I preferred the white to the gold labels. I've only had one Hoon come "unbuttoned" and it was a gold label. I can't say if it was just a fluke or if it has something to do with the softer compound. I also found that I was able to get the whites a lot tackier than the golds by repeatedly washing them with SimpleGreen and WD-40. Like said, this is just my personal experience with them, so take it with a grain of salt. YMMV. :)

Picked one up as well. List of things I would recommend doing. (1) Inspect and top off/shim the diffs. I use Mugen E0206 shims in all my Arrma diffs. Top off or change out to appropriate fluids (2) Swap out the Spektrum servo with a good aftermarket one.

Other things I've done: Swapping out the motor mount button head screws for flanged socket head screws, cutting off one of the IC5 connectors on the ESC, swapping the plastic diff mount for a metal one, adding a rear skid plate and front bumper, changing the steering bushings out for ball bearings, adding fan mount and motor fan, adding rear mudguards, and swapping out the metal chassis braces for m2c ones (in the mail). I also swapped the stock tires for Mojave tires.

So far Ive tried

Duratrax Bandito 1/8 Buggy Tire (C2)
Lots of fun but better suited for 3S. The 6S just spins in circles and they will be gone in no time. Crazy!! The Katar buggy tires are better.

Duratrax Bandito MT Belt 2.8 (C2)
Lots of fun, big tire. They don't spin free as easily and the 6S is a beast so expect cartwheels.

ARRMA dBoots Hoons 53/107 2.9 White
Its not a tire. its some rubber wrapped around a wheel. They get sticky after burnouts and with the 6S thats easy. Grippy but a bit weird on the buggy/truggy. Its not low enough. The Bandito MT Belt 2.8 are more fun! I like these hoons for the 3S Typhon I have.

The Duratrax Sixpack MT Belt 2.8's are way fun but on asphalt they are too much.

Id like to try the Duratrax Bandito ST Belt 3.8's. Better for street flips im expecting.

... and I need to say that the 6S is a Beast! Im getting a Felony next or the Infraction. Then a 8S Kraton. Few Traxxes got my eye too.

Last edited:
Was searching about fan setups and haven't really found heatsink fan combo that fits in a Typhon. someone suggested not necessarily using a heatsink and just a fan as the motor can serves as a bit of a heatsink. Has anyone ever used this along with some fans?

Power Hobbies Powerhobby Aluminum Motor Mount 30-40MM for Twister Fans (47-49MM) https://a.co/d/d9D9Rpx

I feel that something like this or similar would give you more wiggle room to fit some fans in.

Was searching about fan setups and haven't really found heatsink fan combo that fits in a Typhon. someone suggested not necessarily using a heatsink and just a fan as the motor can serves as a bit of a heatsink. Has anyone ever used this along with some fans?

Power Hobbies Powerhobby Aluminum Motor Mount 30-40MM for Twister Fans (47-49MM) https://a.co/d/d9D9Rpx

I feel that something like this or similar would give you more wiggle room to fit some fans in.

It works - but you need the 40-42mm mount:

7BB5B1AD-5596-4169-B708-BABA44F934D6.jpeg
E9061265-3855-47A8-AA3F-114B757A88C7.jpeg

Last edited:
Think I would be best to try and fit two fans if I can get them to fit?

Also I was running a 6s pack yesterday on the street for about 20 mins or so....took it pretty easy and couldn't get full throttle on my street, went up and down some driveways and my motor was at 146 and my esc 104 when I stopped. Everything is bone stock. Are those normal temps?

It was 84 out and humid no sun.

I have those on both of my Typhons

20220621_003134.jpg

20220625_173157.jpg

Yeah, there's more than one way to skin the cat - the biggest thing is how much air those fans move.

As far as temps, I think it's OK for now. You might try turning down the timing a bit to see if you can get it to run cooler without significantly affecting performance

Last edited:
What fans fit under the body? And which ones have you had the best luck with quality wise?
You can get the powerhobby mount w/ 2 40mm aluminum body fans included. Those have survived multiple backflips/ cartwheels/ somersaults & bad landings in general. Tornado fans (I think?) also have aluminum 40mm fans that spin @ 28,000rpms. I've just had better luck with the aluminum ones in my off road typhon.

Ordered a setup and ill see what works this weekend. Thanks for the help.

I downloaded the manuals for the receiver, radio, and esc. The ESC manual from Spektrum and the settings in the Arrma manual don't match up. The Spektrum manual says there are 11 different settings to adjust and the Arrma manual only shows 8 and they don't all match up. Which one is correct? Are the ESC's different?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back