Kraton New version hot racing diff cups? Worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Kraton internals are almost 2 years old, running more than the stock power. I think a lot of it comes down to driving technique ???
I agree... driver error and all. On throttle lands and a heavy throttle finger will do in those diffs sooner than later most of the time. And for me I almost wish that was the case. I have many brands of rigs here. Never had issues like this before. If I babied these Arrma rigs, I guess the diffs would not fail? The common denominator here is that even out the box these diffs are crap. IMO. Sometimes you get lucky and a diff here and there will last a long time. I know which ones they are because I'm always akeen to which ones are due for a rebuild. And they keep on going no issue. :cool:

Looks like those diffs were shimmed a little to tight to me
Aluminum at the pin/sun gear areas of the diff show that aluminum is no match for metal. Steel pins and washers/shims will wear out alloy. Needs to be steel at these ends. Hence why Arrma's option diff carriers are steel at both ends. Only center is alloy. That is normal wear in that picture. Those parts are not a good upgrade path. Steel Diff dog bone cups should also spin within a steel sleeve not alloy. A recipe for disaster. IMO.

Last edited:
Aluminum at the pin/sun gear areas do the diff show that aluminum is no match for metal. steel pins and washers/shims will wear out alloy. Needs to be steel at these ends. Hence why Arrma's option diff carriers are steel at both ends. Only center is alloy. That is normal wear in that picture. Steel Diff dog bone cups should also spin within a steel sleeve not alloy. A recipe for disaster. IMO.
The new Hot Racing ones have a steel sleeve in the end of the cup and of course the gear is already steel.

The new HR diff carrier is now doable. (y)(y) Experience with them will dictate. :cool:

The new HR diff carrier is now doable. (y)(y) Experience with them will dictate. :cool:
I'm running them in all 3 diffs. And other than the issue I talked about above they have been fine.

I'm looking to get either the hot racing or the arrma aluminum cup for just the center diff on my outcast. Front and rear will stay stock. From what I'm taking away from this is you need to dry fit first but really can't go wrong with either?
With the hot racing ones is the print used between the plate and the center and stock gasket between center and spur gear? Or o-rings on both sides? Are you able to order extra o-rings separate?

I have the Arrma alu. version...using at the center also. Dry fit to make sure the shimming is all good, before you fill with oil. Otherwise you may find shimming wrong and you waste some oil when refilling. Also, when dry filling, its easier to feel if the diff action is correct, shimmed well enough. There are 2 Hot Racing alu. versions, the newer version is durable while the old one was not. They added a metal sleeve at the cup side as an improvement. The Arrma version is heaviest. But robust, and its steel at both ends (needs 2 Gaskets as a result) It is very strong for a center diff. I use stock plastic cups F and R. I like diffs to be very light at the axels. I don't have exper. with the HR diffs. Others here will. There are other threads discussing the new HR diff.
There are always 2 O-rings both sides. I believe you can use the stock Arrma O-rings with the HR. HR keeps/ uses the stock parts with their upgrades.( most of the time) Good luck. Others may chime in .:cool:

I'm looking to get either the hot racing or the arrma aluminum cup for just the center diff on my outcast. Front and rear will stay stock. From what I'm taking away from this is you need to dry fit first but really can't go wrong with either?
With the hot racing ones is the print used between the plate and the center and stock gasket between center and spur gear? Or o-rings on both sides? Are you able to order extra o-rings separate?
O-rings on both sides, getting the oring to sit properly is giant a pain the butt. I do think that if I buy any more I will buy the Arrma ones just to not have to deal with those orings.

Did you get the bearing to fit ? Is the new metal insert the issue?

I think you quoted the wrong person.

Did you have an issue with the bearing on the Center diff cup? Mine doesn't fit the new HR cup for some reason.
Did you get that bearing to fit?
O-rings on both sides, getting the oring to sit properly is giant a pain the butt. I do think that if I buy any more I will buy the Arrma ones just to not have to deal with those orings.

I think you quoted the wrong person.
Got me there. :dead:

Did you get that bearing to fit?

I did. After I had already used another stock cup and finally got the 500k fluid to settle 2 days later ?. I did have to fight to get it on initiay. It's going to be sitting here until I need to fill/check the diff again.

Attachments

• IMG_20200422_112615.jpg
    IMG_20200422_112615.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 42
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back