Typhon Newbie help !! Motor locked up !

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H2ocop

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Typhon 3s
Have owned the Typhon BLX 3S for less than a month and running it today it started making a horrible sounds and would barley move. With some investigating it looks like the motor is locked up/ barely turns. Ideas ? Is this a warranty issue or something I’ve got to repair?

To make sure it really is the motor: Have you disconnected the motor from the drive shaft and tried to spin it up with just the pinion on?

To make sure it really is the motor: Have you disconnected the motor from the drive shaft and tried to spin it up with just the pinion on?

yes.... I have taken the motor out completely and everything is smooth to turn..... the motor shaft is very difficult to turn. I’m positive it’s the mother now that I have taken it all apart. Should this be a warranty issue? This thing is less than a month old

yes.... I have taken the motor out completely and everything is smooth to turn..... the motor shaft is very difficult to turn. I’m positive it’s the mother now that I have taken it all apart. Should this be a warranty issue? This thing is less than a month old
Yes. I bet you $50 you take that motor apart the inside will be full of dirt. This is a design problem that Arrma needs to sort out.

So is this something I’m going to have to deal with or is Arrma willing to back/fix this?.... it’s less than a month old.

So is this something I’m going to have to deal with or is Arrma willing to back/fix this?.... it’s less than a month old.
Best fix so far is rubber sealed bearings.

I’ve emailed Arrma.... we will see what they say.

thanks for the info.... sealed bearings

thanks for the info.... sealed bearings
I personally don't think you should install sealed bearings in a motor, the heat could melt the seal and normal bearings run smoother.

Horizon did replace my motor when it first happened to me, and I've ruined too many motors until i found a solution, i seal the power module opening at the bottom.

I would hope a motor doesn't get hot enough to melt the seals lol. The seals don't touch the balls. So it doesn't effect the smoothness... just find an abec 5 or higher. 7 is highly preferred and a huge night and day difference.

The rubber seal rub, not the balls but the race. i never managed to gets the rubber ones to run as smooth as the metal shielded ones.
Yeah the kit bearings are all junk. They shouldn't touch anything. They are supposed to kinda float. For the rest of the rig sure I use kits just because they are cheap. For a motor I only use real bearings lol. Abec 7 boca in all my rigs for a long time. Not once have I ever had to change them.

Yeah the kit bearings are all junk. They shouldn't touch anything. They are supposed to kinda float. For the rest of the rig sure I use kits just because they are cheap. For a motor I only use real bearings lol. Abec 7 boca in all my rigs for a long time. Not once have I ever had to change them.
The Bocas use a rubber seal, they are orange.
I personally don't think you should install sealed bearings in a motor, the heat could melt the seal and normal bearings run smoother.

Horizon did replace my motor when it first happened to me, and I've ruined too many motors until i found a solution, i seal the power module opening at the bottom.
This is what I was thinking I would give a try next.

Ok everyone.... update.... Horizon contacted me back... gave them everything they needed ( receipt, product number, shipping info etc.) and a new motor is on the way.... yea!

now... I got lost with everyone’s info.... so what bearings do I need to get to make this car right when I get the motor and put everything back together? Additionally, is there a way to salvage the motor I have to keep as a back up? The front bearing disintegrated.... could I put a new bearing in and all is good? If so how do I get what’s left out of the motor?

FFCC54EB-2451-4652-AFD4-7CE369F264A5.jpeg
BB2DA7A9-5D8F-4507-93CD-F252033307F0.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back