Kraton Newbie help with stuck screw please to get gear off

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgon

Reaction score
Hi, thank you for all your previous posts, you guys are so helpful thank you all. I’ve read about heating up the screw to get a stuck screw off but I’m still stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I’ve stripped the back gear off and the dif looks fine but I can’t get the gear off.
I think I’ve got to get the small screw off below from the other side, but the head has gone and tried heating it with a lighter. I’ve got some good 2.5 mm screwdrivers coming tomorrow to give it another go but I was wondering if there is anything I can do or order to help. I’m in Watford, UK if anyone can personally help to. Sorry for any wrong terminology.
Thank you.

Attachments

• 1D38C891-BB20-49F8-A312-05226CF484BB.jpeg
    1D38C891-BB20-49F8-A312-05226CF484BB.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 66
  • A37E6400-4699-40E9-919B-5C3F60783E6B.jpeg
    A37E6400-4699-40E9-919B-5C3F60783E6B.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 55
Thanks FatcatRc, could you recommend a good pencil torch.
All the Amazon UK ones have terrible reviews. Also if the head is gone is there anything else I can do. I’ve been at the screw all day.

I just recently encountered Arrma's famous red Loctite on the same part... It took a couple minutes heating with a lighter to get that bastard to move. Would be easier with a torch but it can be done with a lighter. Just don't burn the housing. :)

All the Amazon UK ones have terrible reviews. Also if the head is gone is there anything else I can do. I’ve been at the screw all day.
Any pencil torch will do really, or even those butane torches will do. A normal torch will work but you got be super super careful with it as the flames bigger. And if the heads gone then you might have to resort to drilling it out and buying a new cup.

I used my cigarette lighters (small torch "windproof" lighters) that work really well. Scripto, ronson and I think even bic makes torches. You can buy these easily in places like Walmart or any hardware store. Basically, any torch that has a small jet coming out will work. Just avoid large torches because there's too much splash damage ;)

Last edited:
I use a iroda torch
images.jpeg-4.jpg

But if you have a soldering iron you can just rest the tip in the cup for a few minutes and that will really loosen the thread locker.

To get that grub screw out, you may be able to knock a torques bit in to the chewed out hole.
images.jpeg-5.jpg

With a fine cutting disk on a Dremel cut a slot into the grub screw if you start to cut the cup as well it will be ok, just don't go too deep. Then you can use a flat screw driver to get it out.

I have found these to be very helpful on loose fitting Allen heads. Wera Hex Plus
31dtG8ug0oL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for so many helpful replies. I will let you know how I get on. I just tried a lighter and then a soldering iron from a neighbour but still not luck, I think I’ve just worn out the head. My neighbours going to try and cut down a larger Allen key to fit into it tomorrow so I will let you know how I get on. Thanks for all your help.

Thanks everyone for the message. I tried all of the above ( well my neighbour did as he has the tools) but had to drill it out in the end as even the flat head didn’t work. I’ve ordered another one and ordered new hex screws for next time and have seen someone use a heat gun which I will try next time before I break the head.
Also while I was ordering I ordered rpm bracing arms,(front and back) front bumper,rear skid plate. I would like to get stronger bracing arms but can’t see any others in the UK at the moment on the main websites.
I had the hobbywing heat sink but didn’t fit so will try to squash it down to fit as I put on the 15 pin.

Again, thank you so much for all the help. I will try to take it all onboard. I’m new to this hobby but I can see myself really getting into the Arrma cars.
I was just wondering if you would recommend any more upgrades for the kraton 6s v4 and what Arrma would you purchase next? I’m selling my granite tomorrow to get another more powerful Arrma. Would and 8s be too much? But I already got a kraton. Decisions, decisions.

Before buying a new car I'd order a good dremmel or something like it with all the correct attachments and just get the hang of cutting a straight thick ish line into any screw anywhere in the car. If you intend on any big scale rc any kind of maintenance on it would be barely important without a solid plan for putting up with stubborn screws. I will attach the tool I bought and its easly one of the best tools I have ever had. It comes with everything necessary for every single job u can throw at it.at some stage I cut a line through nearly every single screw that is going to be fiddled with and i promis you your hobby life will become alot easier

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X23WHMG?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
This thing is about a 3rd of the price of the holy dremmels but I poop you not it puts most of them to shame.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200804-003637_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200804-003637_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 33
I would recommend you spend more time with your Kraton and get to understand what you like and dislike about it before you make another purchase, maintaining multiple cars is a lot of work, but sometimes a huge benefit, if you go out for a bash with only 1 your day can be ruined in a few seconds, if you have 2 you are more likely to be able to get through your charged batteries. Learning to drive them to the limit will be more enjoyable if you have time to practice, but sometimes the practice we all need is not launching them into space, that will come. Spend some time setting up a course to follow, practice breaking for corners, practice getting your lines right, this will help you when you go to jump your cars. Breaking is very awkward when you haven't done it much, and if you can't ease the breaks on you'll always have trouble controlling your vehicle, it might seem boring at first, but if you can control a Kraton around a race track hitting top speed on the straights and making the corners, then you'll have no problem jumping and landing a car.

If you must but a new car I'd suggest a second 6s model because they share so many of the same parts, it makes it easier for maintenance and then also you have a donor car for when you need a part desperately.

And without bias at all ;-) get a Talion!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back