Granite Newbie looking for advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fthefox

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi there. I am new to RC cars and am looking for advice. What type of car shall I get to start with? I guess I will use it on varied terrains: dirt road in front of the house, local BMX track, former quarry, etc. What car shall I get? Granite, Typhon, Senton, etc? Could someone clarify the differences between short course cars, buggies and monster trucks?

Thank you.

Frank

Welcome to the forum .
A short course truck is a rc car that tries to be like a full scale short course truck but with the ability to bash buggies are more for you stable track car with speed and monster trucks are tuff and big and tall with loads of suspension for you terrain I would lean towards the typhoon because it’s stable tough and great for what your looking for.

3s Senton or Typhon IMO. Skip the mega brushed versions, you'll only end up upgrading to brushless.

I prefer the LWB chassis myself

Last edited:
Hi there. I am new to RC cars and am looking for advice. What type of car shall I get to start with? I guess I will use it on varied terrains: dirt road in front of the house, local BMX track, former quarry, etc. What car shall I get? Granite, Typhon, Senton, etc? Could someone clarify the differences between short course cars, buggies and monster trucks?

Thank you.

Frank

Hard answer....if I were in your position I would be looking at a lot of YT videos on each one to see how people use them to bash, etc...see how it behaves to see if the rig would be the right... I did the same for the Losi DB Pro, Infraction, and few others... I asked specific questions here get more insight on videos I saw but after weeks of videos I knew more about which rig fitted what I wanted...

Took me like 2 months to pull the plug on my V2 senton!! I don't regret my decision one bit!!

20210911_171649_HDR.jpg

Brushless all day long with any model you choose. Personally. I would go with the Granite 3s BLX.

I'm very happy with my Big Rock Crew Cab. It works well on dirt road, BMX track (careful tearing up the surface, maybe check with the riders or do a dig day?), grass and generally blasting about. The Big Rock is long wheelbase so stable. The Granite is shorter if you prefer more flips and wheelies. The Big Rock still pulls some king wheelies and will backflip.

Make sure you budget for a couple of LiPos at least, a decent fast charger, basic tools (2 and 2.5mm hex drivers, 7mm nut driver, 5mm wrench) and get ready for spares!

I am impressed! So many replies in such a short time, I’m gonna like this community/forum! Yes, that’s the conclusion I arrived at regarding brushed vs brushless, though I might get a brushed car for my eldest son as he will be coming along. At 5, probably better to dial the power down.

The Typhon is often praised on YT vids. Seems to be a very balanced car that hugs the ground, corners and ‘’flies’’well. Seems like a well rounded machine.

The Rival MT10 also got my attention - I know, not an Arrma - for a truck. It seems to drive well, better than a Granite if you plan on staying on the ground!

By the way, English is not my mother tongue. Sorry for the mistakes in advance.

Frank

The Typhon will handle the best and be at home on the BMX track. It also makes a pretty good road car with a set of Hoons. Being a buggy, it is the most susceptible to damage though. Granite will be the best basher, since it is a monster truck but still has a long wheelbase for stability. The Senton will be the toughest due to the short course truck bumpers.

To me it would come down to if you were more leaning towards racing around the BMX track (Typhon) or just bashing (Granite).

The Typhon will handle the best and be at home on the BMX track. It also makes a pretty good road car with a set of Hoons. Being a buggy, it is the most susceptible to damage though. Granite will be the best basher, since it is a monster truck but still has a long wheelbase for stability. The Senton will be the toughest due to the short course truck bumpers.

To me it would come down to if you were more leaning towards racing around the BMX track (Typhon) or just bashing (Granite).
I agree with you about the Senton and Typhon but to correct you, Granite is short wheel base not long.
The Bigrock has the LWB.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back