Newbie looking for guidance on 8s Kraton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfelix10

Reaction score
Hello all.. First post here.

I recently picked the RC hobby back up since my oldest son is old enough to show interest now.

The bug bit me pretty hard… I started with an E Revo 2.0 that’s been great. We’ve run it pretty hard with minimal issues. Then, I picked up a Typhon 6s that is a blast, but found that it doesn’t suit where we can run mostly. I’ve only put 3 battery packs or so through it and can only run it on the road in my neighborhood which has gotten boring for me.

I’m thinking of selling the Typhon and building an 8s Kraton EXB. I’ve only bought RTR cars and have no idea what I’m looking for in an ESC, Motor, or good servo.

I’m hoping to get some recommendations on the motor and ESC mainly. I’d also be interested in trading the buggy plus cash for an 8s or 6s Kraton plus cash on my end if anyone Is looking for a Typhon. I’m not opposed to keeping it because it’s really cool on the street with the street tires, but I don’t think I’ll use it much once I get the Kraton.

Welcome!
Post a little more and you can try selling in the classified section, or sign up as a premium member and you have instant access (see rules).

Plenty of knowledgeable folks on this site that will help. You can also search, this is a frequent question and has been answered multiple times. You can always use the stock electronics as a guide.

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...ons-for-the-1-5-kraton-exb.35503/#post-593744
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/thinking-about-getting-outcast-8s-exb.42921/
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/kraton-8s-exb.42711/
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...otor-and-35-47-gearing-raminator-servo.36000/

Hello all.. First post here.

I recently picked the RC hobby back up since my oldest son is old enough to show interest now.

The bug bit me pretty hard… I started with an E Revo 2.0 that’s been great. We’ve run it pretty hard with minimal issues. Then, I picked up a Typhon 6s that is a blast, but found that it doesn’t suit where we can run mostly. I’ve only put 3 battery packs or so through it and can only run it on the road in my neighborhood which has gotten boring for me.

I’m thinking of selling the Typhon and building an 8s Kraton EXB. I’ve only bought RTR cars and have no idea what I’m looking for in an ESC, Motor, or good servo.

I’m hoping to get some recommendations on the motor and ESC mainly. I’d also be interested in trading the buggy plus cash for an 8s or 6s Kraton plus cash on my end if anyone Is looking for a Typhon. I’m not opposed to keeping it because it’s really cool on the street with the street tires, but I don’t think I’ll use it much once I get the Kraton.
Hobbywing max 5 combo with the 1100kv motor. 35/47 gearing or 30/39 gearing would be my choice.

Thanks guys..

Is the EXB Hobby wing combo really worth the extra money compared to the RTR verison?

Thanks guys..

Is the EXB Hobby wing combo really worth the extra money compared to the RTR verison?
The Max5 combo gets you a 200A ESC as compared to the 160A ESC that comes with a stock K8. The motor Kv is more suitable for this size rig as well. To me it’s worth the money. A lot of guys are using the Castle systems on these big rigs too so they are worth looking into.

That being said, I had a lot of fun with the stock electronics in the K8 when I bought it but felt it needed more jam.

cheers,
kev

Thanks guys..

Yup. Way more torque and control in the air. Less heat problems. More top speed, note everything. Well worth it. I run the XLX2 AND 1100KV motor on both my Outcast 8s and EXB K8S (30/39 gearing and 35/47 gearing), so they are very fast beasts. It's like driving an Outcast 6s and Kraton 6s.

I have both 8S EXB trucks. Both have castle setups. My outcast has the 800 and my Kraton has the 1100. Personally I like the 800 better for heavy bashing. It heats up less and has insane torque. If your more of a road or large field user who likes to really wind out the speed you'd probably like the 1100 more. Not saying the 800 is slow by any means. Being that the castle systems are sensored they are butter smooth at low speeds to. As for servo, Just get any 1/5 rated servo that has a decent torque rating. The aftermarket ESC's allow you to raise the BEC levels so you can get more power out of a aftermarket servo. My outcast runs the powerhobby 1/5 servo and its absolutley insane, but it was also very expensive. Ive got a Savox in my Kraton and its absolutely atrocious. Its almost just as bad as the stock one, maybe even worse. Im planning on swapping it out eventually.

Thanks a lot for the input guys. I think I'm going to go with the EXB Kraton 8s.. I love my X Maxx, but it kind of lumbers along. I'd love to have a 1/5 scale truck that moves like an 1/8 scale. That would be ideal.

Thanks a lot for the input guys. I think I'm going to go with the EXB Kraton 8s.. I love my X Maxx, but it kind of lumbers along. I'd love to have a 1/5 scale truck that moves like an 1/8 scale. That would be ideal.
Either one of the 1/5 Arrma trucks move better than the Xmaxx. I have an Xmaxx its fun, but its not where near as agile as my Kraton or Outcast 8s.

Kraton 8S EXB with a Max 5 and 800kv motor ordered…

Any opinions on gearing for this set up?

I like the mmxlx with 800kv
39 43 gear. Thats been the best for me

20210809_135312.jpg

Yup. Way more torque and control in the air. Less heat problems. More top speed, note everything. Well worth it. I run the XLX2 AND 1100KV motor on both my Outcast 8s and EXB K8S (30/39 gearing and 35/47 gearing), so they are very fast beasts. It's like driving an Outcast 6s and Kraton 6s.
To the original poster , @Armarookie43 has owned the rtr AND the EXB...... he would know......

I think you will be pleased with your purchase:devilish:

Just had to join in, I wanna save this thread....

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back