Outcast Newbie question.....(sorry!)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papad617

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
I just gotta an arrma notorious 6s after seeing my friend and his Kraton. My first rc since the 80s when I had a Tamiya Frog. I hope I am not in over my head, but man this stuff got complicated! I may be asking a ton of questions so I hope that’s ok...... I am eager to get this thing in the dirt...the arrma manual says I should run in the motor by propping up the car so the wheels are lifted etc and running it for 3 batteries. I started the first today and it’s been an hour and a half and it’s still going......it’s a 6s battery. i didn’t think it would take this long.......
do I really need to do 3 batteries worth of this?

I believe that run in procedure is for brushed motors. Isn’t Notorious brushless?
Your manual says......
“Always ‘Run-in’ your vehicles’ brushed motor prior to use. ARRMA recommend supporting the vehicle with the drive wheels clear of the ground and run it at constant, low to half throttle for at least three full battery packs.”

Last edited:
I just gotta an arrma notorious 6s after seeing my friend and his Kraton. My first rc since the 80s when I had a Tamiya Frog. I hope I am not in over my head, but man this stuff got complicated! I may be asking a ton of questions so I hope that’s ok...... I am eager to get this thing in the dirt...the arrma manual says I should run in the motor by propping up the car so the wheels are lifted etc and running it for 3 batteries. I started the first today and it’s been an hour and a half and it’s still going......it’s a 6s battery. i didn’t think it would take this long.......
do I really need to do 3 batteries worth of this?
Brushless motors have no break in period you just throw it on the ground and go go go! I feel bad you wasted so much of your time lol! There’s no break ins for any part on modern RCs.
I believe that run in procedure is for brushed motors. Isn’t Notorious brushless?
Your manual says......
“Always ‘Run-in’ your vehicles’ brushed motor prior to use. ARRMA recommend supporting the vehicle with the drive wheels clear of the ground and run it at constant, low to half throttle for at least three full battery packs.”
Yeah it’s brushless, no break in.

Things have changed a TON since my racing days in the 80's. The good change is that most RTR's are actually good out of the box. Only thing to verify is all the screws are solid, fluids aren't leaking and lipo care. Learning to care for the lipo batteries is the biggest change. Brushless motors are simply monstrous but don't require break in as there are no brushed to break in ;)

Ah I see, I see. I told you I am newbie! Appreciate the responses and looking forward to taking her for a spin. About to head to my local baseball field to let ‘er rip. I found awesome info on here about battery care and an ‘out the box’ checklist (I did find some loose) screws, so I am def thankful I found this forum. Thnx all

On a good note you are likely the first one that didn't break anything while running the first pack!!
I didn't break...no wait, yeah...stupid Senton bumper...no no, the ECX was my first hobby grade and I didn't bre...no, broke an A arm the first time out...DANG! Guess he is the first to not break something on the first run! LOL!

I broke the bumper first time last night....but boy was it fun!

I didn't break...no wait, yeah...stupid Senton bumper...no no, the ECX was my first hobby grade and I didn't bre...no, broke an A arm the first time out...DANG! Guess he is the first to not break something on the first run! LOL!
Hey I didn't break anything on my new Kraton 6s v4 tell third run..... Lol

Hello just got a arrma typhon mega I drove it into a bush by accident but know my motor is making a grinding sound. Any ideas

Hello just got a arrma typhon mega I drove it into a bush by accident but know my motor is making a grinding sound. Any ideas
Motor bearing may be going bad.
Pinion mesh may be out of adjustment.
Did you check for anything binding anywhere in the drivetrain or steering.

Motor bearing may be going bad.
Pinion mesh may be out of adjustment.
Did you check for anything binding anywhere in the drivetrain or steering.
I've checked it only sounds like it's in the motor or where the the driveshaft spring is

Just keep it under 60mph for the first 500 miles. (y)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back