Newbie to lipos

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chvy2nv

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Infraction
Hey guys. I’m sorry if this question has been answered before. Maybe someone can direct me towards a link or two.

I’ll be getting my infraction this weekend and I’m thinking of what batteries to get. I’m going to be mostly doing drag racing and overall bashing. Doing some grudge racing with some old friends and want to make sure I bring my A game. Also. Don’t want to spend additional money on stuff I’ll end up replacing for better parts. I’d rather spend the money once kinda thing.

Thanks for the help. Been reading on here for a few days now. What a great community. Tons of knowledge.

Hey guys. I’m sorry if this question has been answered before. Maybe someone can direct me towards a link or two.

I’ll be getting my infraction this weekend and I’m thinking of what batteries to get. I’m going to be mostly doing drag racing and overall bashing. Doing some grudge racing with some old friends and want to make sure I bring my A game. Also. Don’t want to spend additional money on stuff I’ll end up replacing for better parts. I’d rather spend the money once kinda thing.

Thanks for the help. Been reading on here for a few days now. What a great community. Tons of knowledge.
There are a ton of Lipos that are good for overall bashing and whatever. What type of Infraction is it you are getting?

There are a ton of Lipos that are good for overall bashing and whatever. What type of Infraction is it you are getting?
V2 6s
I’m going to need batteries and charger. More than likely will be upgrading esc and motor down the road.
What would 8s do? And is the car capable of handelling ?

V2 6s
I’m going to need batteries and charger. More than likely will be upgrading esc and motor down the road.
What would 8s do? And is the car capable of handelling ?
I am not really sure about 8s. That is a ton of power. A bigger motor on 8s will not really be faster per say as it will have lower kv. You would most likely need to gear up for a 8s system. You could get a better 6s setup and gear up on it for more speed. Just make sure it stays cool. Is speed what you are going for? The spectrum batteries can be good as they are recommended as the infraction has spectrum electronics stock. Those are not cheap batteries though. There are advantages of one 6s block battery or 2 3s ones. Good lips brands that should last a while include spektrum, Ovonic and gens-ace-r-spam. From personal experience Hoovo and Zeee have treated me well. With chargers, I do not know much in that department. I only have Traxxas chargers from only having had Traxxas batteries for the longest time. Do not recommend Traxxas anything though. To expensive and not good enough compatibility.

For just bashing, Hoovo, Zeee, etc on Amazon usually work fine. They represent the lower end of the spectrum. China Hobby Line and SMC Racing are two higher-end options but tend to have less availability.

I've run all of the above and more, I do think there is more "punch" to SMC and CNHL but for what I do I tend to stick to the cheaper batteries. I've not personally found the the higher end batteries to be monumentally better, but again that is probably tied to what I do.

It really depends on what you want to achieve, for speed running you most likely want to stick to higher end batteries.

The stock electronics on an Infraction will not handle 8S.

I am not really sure about 8s. That is a ton of power. A bigger motor on 8s will not really be faster per say as it will have lower kv. You would most likely need to gear up for a 8s system. You could get a better 6s setup and gear up on it for more speed. Just make sure it stays cool. Is speed what you are going for? The spectrum batteries can be good as they are recommended as the infraction has spectrum electronics stock. Those are not cheap batteries though. There are advantages of one 6s block battery or 2 3s ones. Good lips brands that should last a while include spektrum, Ovonic and gensacearespammers. From personal experience Hoovo and Zeee have treated me well. With chargers, I do not know much in that department. I only have Traxxas chargers from only having had Traxxas batteries for the longest time. Do not recommend Traxxas anything though. To expensive and not good enough compatibility.
Sorry for the r spammers in my reply. It is automatically added when I say the gen ace brand name. Weird

Welcome and all good replies above.

Infraction v1 was my first Arrma rig of all the rigs I have now. I am not knocking Spektrum batteries which I bought new in the hobby and do not use. High cost, and they did not have the extra punch/energy, as one person said for the SMC & ChinaHobby which I tend to use most. I have them all. Only go back to the Spektrum when I have nothing else left :LOL:

Do not do 8S in a stock Infraction. You will overheat your electronics, and changes need to be made for 8S, like a Firma 160 ESC over the 150A ESC, motor, etc. It's plenty of fun at 6S...

Bashing or dragging.... play right now to see what you like best. An Infraction for bashing is a different setup vs. building an Infraction for a burst of power doing straight runs. The dragging or speed run setups are NOT for bashing and will overheat the best of electronics. Right now, that is not important. Just play with it, get a feel for it and see what you like...just keep in mind those are two different paths.

Enjoy (y)

take a look at these....

HOOVO 3S 11.1V Lipo Battery 8000mAh 100C RC Battery Hard Case with EC5 Connector for RC 1/8 1/10 Scale Vehicles Car RC Truggy Truck Airplane Helicopter Boat(2 Pack) https://a.co/d/5YCcod9

for a charger, prefer a dual to charge both at same time, and make sure you can balance them, thats about it

I am not really sure about 8s. That is a ton of power. A bigger motor on 8s will not really be faster per say as it will have lower kv. You would most likely need to gear up for a 8s system. You could get a better 6s setup and gear up on it for more speed. Just make sure it stays cool. Is speed what you are going for? The spectrum batteries can be good as they are recommended as the infraction has spectrum electronics stock. Those are not cheap batteries though. There are advantages of one 6s block battery or 2 3s ones. Good lips brands that should last a while include spektrum, Ovonic and gens-ace-r-spam. From personal experience Hoovo and Zeee have treated me well. With chargers, I do not know much in that department. I only have Traxxas chargers from only having had Traxxas batteries for the longest time. Do not recommend Traxxas anything though. To expensive and not good enough compatibility.
Thanks 👍🏼
Sorry for the r spammers in my reply. It is automatically added when I say the gen ace brand name. Weird
Haha. Thanks.

For actual power and capacity, my personal favorites:
Premium:
SMC https://www.smc-racing.com
Gen(s) Ace, got to find a link
CNHL https://chinahobbyline.com/ (stay above 90C) else you end up with big unknowns
Admiral www.motionrc.com (they don't have large packs though)

Yes, they are more expensive if you put blinders on, you put them next to any of the Amazon/eBay ones and you will understand.

Ok to use:
Liperior
https://rcbattery.com/

Avoid like the plague:
Anything and everything sold on Amazon. Sorry, Yoowoo is one of the crappy ones as well, they used to be ok, but it has changed.
Zeee, Goldbat, Hoovoo, Ovonics - all the same low quality junk
Spektrum - same low quality but higher price

Note: Several Amazon versions were actually good up until ~ 1-1 1/2 years ago, since then they are literally all the same with a different label. They are all in the 20-30C range and capacity is inflated.

Ok.. so I bit the bullet today. I just picked up the blue infraction V2 6s. 2 gensacearespammers 3S 8000 mAh 100C batteries and a Spectrum S2200 Charger 🤦🏻‍♂️. What do you guys think ?

Good choice on Lipo and Infraction.
Charger is just horribly overpriced, there are better and cheaper alternatives. Yes, it will work just fine.
I'd return it and get this one:
https://www.amazon.com/HOTA-Charger...mzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840
Don't forget to order the right charging cables. XT60 to EC5

Enjoy!

Next, look into GRP tires as replacements. Might want to order a set already.
They come in hardness 2-7 and would be based on your preference and surface.
I'd start with the XM5. Get slicks and stay with 'J' style wheel (white only). The others are too soft, and you will scrape the bottom in corners. Yes, you can stay with Hoons but $$$$$
I typically get 8-10 runs out of 1 set of tires. That is ~ $50 every 10 runs, just as a guide.

https://nitrohobbies.com/gth04-xm5/

Good choice on Lipo and Infraction.
Charger is just horribly overpriced, there are better and cheaper alternatives. Yes, it will work just fine.
I'd return it and get this one:
https://www.amazon.com/HOTA-Charger-Battery-Wireless-Charging/dp/B0827S7NYV?ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840
Don't forget to order the right charging cables. XT60 to EC5

Enjoy!

Next, look into GRP tires as replacements. Might want to order a set already.
They come in hardness 2-7 and would be based on your preference and surface.
I'd start with the XM5. Get slicks and stay with 'J' style wheel (white only). The others are too soft, and you will scrape the bottom in corners. Yes, you can stay with Hoons but $$$$$
I typically get 8-10 runs out of 1 set of tires. That is ~ $50 every 10 runs, just as a guide.

https://nitrohobbies.com/gth04-xm5/
Thanks for the tips. Yea. The guy at the hobby shop emphasized on getting xtra tires 😬😀

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back