Newbie too much power

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Combatjeep

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
Recently bought a Nero with brain diff. I'm running two 3s 5200mah 75c lipos. Way too fast in throttling for me. Can I adjust the throttle down or should I go to a pair of 2s batteries. I found some 2s 5200 50c for $72 one pair I thought may be a good deal. So, should I adjust my speed if possible or step down to the 2s? Are the battery specs I stated ok? I've done searches for answers but there's too many opposing opinions; I posted here and not electronics cause I felt this is Nero specific. Thanks

Recently bought a Nero with brain diff. I'm running two 3s 5200mah 75c lipos. Way too fast in throttling for me. Can I adjust the throttle down or should I go to a pair of 2s batteries. I found some 2s 5200 50c for $72 one pair I thought may be a good deal. So, should I adjust my speed if possible or step down to the 2s? Are the battery specs I stated ok? I've done searches for answers but there's too many opposing opinions; I posted here and not electronics cause I felt this is Nero specific. Thanks

yep..go with 2..2s batts..total of 4s...yes..that will slow it down...your batt specs are fine...

You can also try to set down the punch level and / or decrease the endpoint of the throttle.
(while driving forward push the minus button below the steering wheel on the transmitter)
It´s cheaper than buying new lipo´s.

I actually really like to run my Big Rock on 4S. I have 2x Nano-Tech 5000mAh 25-50C 7.4V batteries that are great (link below). Good run time and the truck still has plenty of power. They came with HXT plugs that I cut off and replaced with XT90s, but still for $24 each they are a great battery. If you don't want to cut off the HXT plugs the HXT-to-XT90 adapters are a couple bucks each. 6S is a lot of fun off road, but I run my truck on the street in front of my house a lot and 6S is just to much on the street. The truck is on it's roof all the time even with the wheelie bar when I run 6S on the street. Maybe if I actually got some street tires it would be better, but to answer your question 4S is still a lot of fun in my opinion and more forgiving for sure. Also you could turn down your throttle dual rate and/or adjust the punch level on the ESC.

Hobby King Tunigy Nano-Tech 2S: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-5000mah-2s-25-50c-lipo-pack.html

I'm grateful for the insight from y'all. It's funny y'all mentioned turning down the throttle or changing the punch setting. I actually called the Arrma tech support yesterday to get him to explain both of those. He was as vague as the manual. It would be great if y'all could give me a little bit more detail on both of those. I like learning the why and how with the process. If y'all have the time to school me along a bit more I'd greatly appreciate it. Especially when it comes to the punch settings. The manual shows five and Arrma tech told me there's like 8or 10. He just further confused me and gave no explanation, guess he didn't like working that close to quitting time on a Friday, dude was pretty rude.

So the support did not done a good job or has no information what parts are really inbuilt in the car....
In the manual is described 5 settings for punch level and it fits to my blx200 in my big rock.

I have not changed any of my ESC setting, but the manual seems like it has a pretty good description of what to do. Page 23 of the Big Rock manual has a full description of what to do. Here is a picture of the setting that can actually be changed. This image is from page 23 of the manual. The "Punch Setting" is the 5th setting for the ESC and you can set the punch level form 1 to 5, the stock setting from Arrma is 2. As I understand it, if you change it to a higher level the truck will accelerate faster/harder. From posts I have seen online people say if you raise the punch level you may need to keep a eye on the motor temp when you are running. Higher Punch levels can cause the motor to heat up more. Hope this helps.

BigRockESCSettings.JPG

YOUTUBE it. Tons of videos on how to do stuff to our cars. Too many in fact.

Good thread. I just got the same truck today!! Nero 6s and I also got the 3s lipos. My friend recommended using a loop connecter and then I can run 1 3s battery at a time. That should slow the truck down plenty until i am comfortable. I assume you can do the same. I got the connector for 10 bucks. Anything else a Nero newbie should know??

Seth

Good thread. I just got the same truck today!! Nero 6s and I also got the 3s lipos. My friend recommended using a loop connecter and then I can run 1 3s battery at a time. That should slow the truck down plenty until i am comfortable. I assume you can do the same. I got the connector for 10 bucks. Anything else a Nero newbie should know??

Seth
Is that safe? I thought the Nero was designed to run on 4 or 6s. I guess 5s would be fine to since it falls into that range but it seems that 3s would be underpowered and cause overheating in the electronics. Just speculating, how are battery, esc, and motor temps on 3s?

In the manual is a note-> 3S-6S LiPo (11.1-22.2v) !
Also they recommend to use Lipos which are charged up till 4,2V per cell!
BUT in my case (BLX200) the esc can not realize 5S.
I run my big rock only with 4S (2x2) or 6S (2x3).

Is that safe? I thought the Nero was designed to run on 4 or 6s. I guess 5s would be fine to since it falls into that range but it seems that 3s would be underpowered and cause overheating in the electronics. Just speculating, how are battery, esc, and motor temps on 3s?

I would greatly suggest 4S minimum on the Nero. It is heavy with big tires so 3S is way underpowered.

In the manual is a note-> 3S-6S LiPo (11.1-22.2v) !
Also they recommend to use Lipos which are charged up till 4,2V per cell!
BUT in my case (BLX200) the esc can not realize 5S.
I run my big rock only with 4S (2x2) or 6S (2x3).

The ESC doesn't support 5S for the alarm, but you could run in Nimh mode and use your own Lipo voltage detector.

I never would use 5S, because that will make the chassis design to nonse.
Arrma had made brainwork that they split the position of the battery.
Same weight on each side! :)
The most of mine 1:10 cars have the battery tray on one side of the chassis.
If you have a good setup and change to a bigger battery...-> setup is garbage.
In case of the Nero, just a little more pre-force on the springs because the bigger weight of heavier battery´s will be in the center
of the car.
I like the Nero-design.. but i wish adjustable shocks by a small knob! ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back