Newbie- wanting some help with battery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSK

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi guys and girls hope your well
As I delve further into adulthood or late twenties specifically I thought I should embrace some childhood nostalgia and get a RC car.
Arena typhon v3 mega 550-I got this a introduction to the RC world and there's lot to learn in sure I'm looking forward to the journey.
to cut my rambling short - I noticed the battery provided has poor longevity and tips as to which battery and charger would be good to upgrade to
Thanks in advance appreciate the help
Arrma* excuse my poor grammar

Ah I seee many thanks, and there's one local store from which I ordered the RC from

they should have a selection of battery,charger choices I hope. If not I use LectronPro batteries and there charger to match (thats what my local shop carries) but any good battery/charger combo will do
When u get used to that speed. U can go up to a 2s lipo. But they are hard on the motors of the megas.
not really as long as you check your temps, I run that set-up in an origanal E-Maxx, it scoots quite nicely

If you are getting a lipo battery, watch many lipo safety videos to prevent any accidents from occuring with a lipo battery.

Thats the most important! Happy bashings!
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you have to change a setting on the speed control to switch over to lipo? If you do change to lipo I'm pretty sure you have to do that.... Maybe I'm wrong

Hi guys and girls hope your well
As I delve further into adulthood or late twenties specifically I thought I should embrace some childhood nostalgia and get a RC car.
Arena typhon v3 mega 550-I got this a introduction to the RC world and there's lot to learn in sure I'm looking forward to the journey.
to cut my rambling short - I noticed the battery provided has poor longevity and tips as to which battery and charger would be good to upgrade to
Thanks in advance appreciate the help
Arrma* excuse my poor grammar
Follow the instructions above, LiPO batteries will give you better run times, just make sure that your charger is set correctly, and your speed control needs to be set for lipo. I would suggest 5,000 milliamps (mah) or above.... That is the storage capacity of the battery, btw) yes watch a video or two about LiPo battery safety. As far as what brand of battery to buy, there are several threads on this forum about that. As you are reintroducing yourself to the hobby you should be able to get a quality battery from anywhere from 25 to $45..... maybe less ..,...and of course you could pay more but......why?

Welcome aboard, by the way

^^^ Is there such an animal as a "Better" Nimpack?? No IMHO. Nims are old school. And way overpriced for what you get by comparison to a 2 s Lipo these days. Nimpacks are horrible and don't last worth a dam.
Find a 2s Lipo that will fit. Hopefully your ESC is Lipo configurable. Sometimes Using a Jumper Pin, Per the ESC manual. Get a Lipo charger for it. RC is all about Lipos these days. And is Cheaper for the capacity it yields, and Future proof in the long run.
On a side note, a 2S lipo will be fine on a Mega motor.
The real question is ....DO you clean and maintain your Mega motor??? Lube the 2 Bushings?
Brushed motors are cheap anyway and are disposable. So Don't expect them to last long anyway. Maintaining them however will get the most out them. Once the brushes wear out, the Motor is toast. Just replace it.
:cool:

No idea how to clean, maintain, lube or what not.
I guess that's where I should start to watch the videos.
How much would it cost to upgrade to brushless? Am I able to upgrade myself?

Also, forgot to ask but which 2s lipo should I get then?

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back