Newbie Wheel Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LipoShirly

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite Grom
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 3s
  4. Voltage
I'd like to put some bigger tires on my Typhon 3S, read quite a bit about the Proline Badlands MX28 2.8 Is there a version of this tire/wheel that comes with a 17mm mount? or will I need to purchase the 6x30 to 17mm adapter? Are there better or equivalent alternatives to the proline wheels ?
LipoS 1/31/21

You want bigger meaning Wider or taller????? Be specific. 🤷‍♂️
Go with $PL$ and their Optional $9. adapter. ( MX28's)Also check out Duratrax. Slightly less money.

>>>>>Pro-Line 9067-21 Badlands MX M2 (Medium) All Terrain 1:8 Buggy Tires Mounted on Mach 10 Black Wheels (prolineracing.com)

The above PL "Buggy specific tires" have 17mm hexes. This would be the correct size tire for a 3S Typhon fit if you have 17mm hexes there already. You want bigger?????
Compare the width and height of the stock wheels/tires and go from there. Too wide of a tire will rub the chassis and body at the front. Wheel "offset" has to be considered. 🤷‍♂️

Sorry, got in a hurry... just slightly larger in diameter, and slightly wider in width as well. Not going crazy big, I've seen videos of Typhons with wheels meant for a Kraton on it, not interested. I just want something close to the look of a Big Rock. Sounds like the BadLands would work but need the adapters. I am concerned with how offset issues but haven't found anything on the Proline site that actually specifies it.

Typhon uses Zero offset. As an example. FWIW. Generally Truggy and Buggy (Track/Race spec.) wheels are zero o/s for the most part.
MT wheels vary widely. Usually not found in zero o/s. (1/2"-1/4"o/s usually)

Edit:
Those MT Badlands will probably widen the BR Track width some. No choice. Doesn't matter much. A Good tire however.

Last edited:
Sorry, got in a hurry... just slightly larger in diameter, and slightly wider in width as well. Not going crazy big, I've seen videos of Typhons with wheels meant for a Kraton on it, not interested. I just want something close to the look of a Big Rock. Sounds like the BadLands would work but need the adapters. I am concerned with how offset issues but haven't found anything on the Proline site that actually specifies it.
What adapter are you talking about? I believe the Badlands SRC linked above would fit without an adapter. 17mm and similar size to stock tire.

What adapter are you talking about? I believe the Badlands SRC linked above would fit without an adapter. 17mm and similar size to stock tire.
You are completely right and somehow I missed the details of SrC's post.... I had been looking at some of the Prolines, not familiar enough (yet) with the RC hobby that the wheel/tire sizes made any sense (1/8 buggy vs 1/10 monster vs etc...) , was looking for a big, bigger, and biggest listing. Anyway, I had looked at the Badlands 2.8 tires, automatically assumed SrC was referring to those, didn't even click the link. ( my apologies SrC...) . So the adapter I was referring to was related to a post I had read that mentioned using a hex extender with the Badland 2.8 wheels on the Raid rims with 17mm extender, just to give a little more clearance on the Typhon.

In my defense, it was probably one of those days I was trying to figure out what the 2.8 in Badlands 2.8 actually meant, only find out that, in a hobby where everything seems to be in metric, this is the ID of the tire in inches....

Or it could have been the day(s) I was trying to find out the difference between Digital and Analog servos.... that has to be one of the most mis-understood, poorly explained topics on youtube...

Typhon uses Zero offset. FWIW. Generally Truggy and Buggy (Track/Race spec.) wheels are zero o/s for the most part.
MT wheels vary widely. Usually not found in zero o/s. (1/2"-1/4"o/s usually)
As I'm coming up the learning curve and adding to my own knowledge base, its bits of info like this that I count on from the forum. I just find it frustrating that in such a well established market, the technical documentation is so hit or miss...
Back to the BadLands 2.8. ProLine specs tell me the tires are 5.05" high and 2.7" wide. Why can't they also tell me that on the Raid rims with their 17mm adapter what is the distance from the inside face of the tire to the adapter?
And I stand corrected...

https://www.prolineracing.com/images/6x30hex_chart.pdf

^^^ Because Proline sucks. I asked the same thing.
Why don't they advertise the hex adapter OFFSET specs for each adapter and the wheels that apply.
When spending money on their high priced stuff, I would want to know the details.
Proline doesn't have a clue. If you call them they will have to measure, if you are lucky to get an accurate response.
You have to dig for a pdf chart. Too many variables with the many adapters. IMHO.
Just me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back