Newbie with a Kraton 8s......?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In general you just need to lessen your impacts when it’s cold out.

Yes definitely does... it’s 36 out now...
As a rule I won't run on less that 35 degree weather and I certainly won't send it when it's that cold. Bit just driving it around you should be fine. Just try not to slam into anything ?

So I live in Missouri and it’s starting to get really cold here. Am I alright to drive my K8s when it’s cold if i don’t plan on bashing or jumping? I’m excited to drive it when I get the charger in but have watched people in videos say they either don’t like to drive in cold temps or they won’t because things break easier.
Just keep in mind water, snow and salt = corrosion ?

welcome to the forum - I went for the smart batteries and charger but truth to be told - the charger isnt up for the job, I use the 5000mah 100C and more than 1.1C charging isnt possible with both plugged in as the charger isnt powerful enough - I was blinded by the 12A per channel as well but it doesn't do it for such large packs. I also got a 1200W psu and a revolectrix pl8 (40A) which can drive these packs at 4C easily so if I'd be in a rush I would use that as the battery still records the charging when not using a smart charger. when you got the time the charger is way quieter than my other setup so I kept it ...

As a rule I won't run on less that 35 degree weather and I certainly won't send it when it's that cold. Bit just driving it around you should be fine. Just try not to slam into anything ?
Ok sounds good and thanks so much for the advice. I won’t be doing anything crazy with it That’s for sure since I’m new to all this. I know as soon as I get this charger in it’s gonna be impossible not to drive it regardless of weather. But wanted to hear what you guys had to say first. So come on smart charger show up already ?

Wow - Way to go big or go home ! :love:

Batteries - I'm running two sets of 8s 6500MAH 100C Youwoo graphene packs ( semi cheap amazon specials ) - we - i.e. group of friends have a lot of luck with these ugly blue packs. We have settled on them collectively as our go to no-name brand.

I'd say use the "slow switch" on the transmitter to get a feel for driving it for the first.... 3 minutes or so.... and then have at it.
Some of the plastics can break more easily at really low temps but I've never had much of an issue with newer RC's.

You will likely figure out quickly you can worry about breaking it or you can just go have fun with it. Pick only one option.
Fixing and upgrading to me is 50% of the fun.

Wow - Way to go big or go home ! :love:

Batteries - I'm running two sets of 8s 6500MAH 100C Youwoo graphene packs ( semi cheap amazon specials ) - we - i.e. group of friends have a lot of luck with these ugly blue packs. We have settled on them collectively as our go to no-name brand.

I'd say use the "slow switch" on the transmitter to get a feel for driving it for the first.... 3 minutes or so.... and then have at it.
Some of the plastics can break more easily at really low temps but I've never had much of an issue with newer RC's.

You will likely figure out quickly you can worry about breaking it or you can just go have fun with it. Pick only one option.
Fixing and upgrading to me is 50% of the fun.
Thanks for the advice and info. So wait... am I gonna be running like the bare minimum battery with what I have? (I jus went off what box recommended ?) should I step up to a bigger battery for my next two batteries I get? And I’m gonna try to stick with this spektrum smart battery brand hopefully turns out to be a good investment... but if there’s one out of that brand that you guys think I should go with let me know. Btw mine is all stock and will be for a little while just Incase That makes a difference on what Size battery you guys recommend.

Oh and also will I be having to look into getting a new radio or is the one that comes with Keaton 8s a good radio?

This is exactly what I was going to say. The factory gearing keeps it slow which will be a good thing if you are new to the hobby.
Wait till good aftermarket braces come out before doing crazy jumps...
In my mind the only option for good tools is MIP.

You should also read up on LiPo safety and storage voltage. This will keep your expensive smart batteries lasting a long time!
The spektrum Smart batteries self discharge to storage level at a preset interval after being charged. They care for themselves. :LOL: Now that's what I call smart.(y)

Oh and also will I be having to look into getting a new radio or is the one that comes with Keaton 8s a good radio?
People's biggest complaint is that there is no foam on the wheel. Functionally though it is not bad at all.

The K8S radio isn’t the one people complain about. It’s the same radio that comes with the Infraction and like Ed said above, it’s just the plastic wheel that people complain about, but it operates just fine.

As far as your lipo, any of the Spektrum packs will be just fine power wise. They are not necessarily the top of the line, but they won’t be subpar for the rig. They have some nice features that you won’t find in 99% of other packs.

Now if that last little bit of power is essential to you and you want the best, the Turnigy Panther Graphene lipos are considered the best. They won’t have the features of the Spektrum packs, but they will pack more power.

The spektrum Smart batteries self discharge to storage level at a preset interval after being charged. They care for themselves. :LOL: Now that's what I call smart.(y)
Wow!!!! I was not aware of that.
That is a feature that I would love to have. Discharging batteries down to stoarge is a big pain!

In the speed run world, I never run my batteries down enough. The other aspect is the wear rate of the S1 compound GRP tires. I don't want any extra run time wearing them down...

Wow!!!! I was not aware of that.
That is a feature that I would love to have. Discharging batteries down to stoarge is a big pain!

In the speed run world, I never run my batteries down enough. The other aspect is the wear rate of the S1 compound GRP tires. I don't want any extra run time wearing them down...
My DJI packs do this too. It’s a nice feature.

My DJI packs do this too. It’s a nice feature.
"Smart lipos are not a new technology. Its been used for the DJI and many E bike packs for several years. I bet it will become mainstream years down the road. Because Lipos are dangerous and automatic failsafe methods should be in place. The days of balancing and going storage voltage and setting up the Charger for each different Lipo pack will be a thing of the past.

SMART - actually I don't think its even their invention - have a look at this https://www.isdt.co/?lang=en

ISDT seems to manufacture the device BUT with a different plug - the battgo technology has just been put into the battery except to be external ... I was quite shocked when I saw these chargers especially as they have a 300W one - probably the one James was referring to during the HH presentation ... unfortunately these come with XT connectors and the SMART pin is located elsewhere - I ordered the 300w charger to see if this could be build and as it was dirt cheap and I could return it ... well what should I say, menu, lack of switching F to C etc all in place - so I think HH/Spektrum just slapped their connectors on/in it - the smart connector in the XTs is actually better located as you wont bend it by accident - and try to push it through high volume channels due to their branding - the D2 is the 200W they sell

oh and to bring the battery down, you make the maths - I think James mentioned 9 days depending on the size as the chip obviously doesn't consume that much and they need to play it safe

still useful though I just wish they would have higher capacity ones in play already knowing the ones they sell don't cut the mustard ...

Last edited:
Nah - Those smart packs won't be "too small". Honestly the ratings are so skewed between different batteries they are approaching near meaningless unless you are buying SMC/Turnigy/etc...."name brand" packs. I'd assume those smart packs will deliver on what they say.

I just mentioned those generic packs as there is a whole world of no-name packs out there that are really inexpensive when on sale and great to bash with. Most of our (group of friends) batteries are generic, I'd rather buy two sets of generic for the price on one set of Turnigy Graphenes or something similar. Overall more run time and I'm never going to race - we just bash for fun.

The smart tech packs horizon is selling are really cool - I'm tempted to get a few as I can be lazy about discharging them if they do not get used. Managed fast charging / self balancing / self monitoring and safety overall is a really nice if you are new to all this. I also don't think the price is bad.... ;)

Please just remember one thing I don't think anyone here can stress enough - STORAGE CHARGE YOUR BATTERIES. The fastest way to kill any lipo is to store it for a long period of time nearly discharged. That's all you really need to know out of the gate.

Ok so I’m new to the this hobby but have decided to dive in head first! I’m sure a lot would say I’m not smart for going with the Kraton 8s as my first rc car. And you would probably be right but when I went into the hobby store to look at what rc car I wanted. There it was the great and powerful Kraton 8s sitting unboxed on the counter. I was truly shocked and amazed at how much bigger it was in person. It was love at first sight but I did walk away and look at other rc cars that were smaller (and less expensive). Only to find myself looking back at the Kraton 8s thinking wow that thing looks like a beast! So of course I talked myself into buying it! Now since I’m a hardcore newbie iv decided to go with spektrum smart batteries and charger. Mainly because im hoping the tech they offer will be a crutch for me and the fact that it was recommended by Arrma on the box. I have not gotten to drive this thing yet as I only got the truck and batteries (2 4s smart batteries) but they had to order the charger (no other shop had charger either). So if anyone has any advice or tips for me as far as driving the Kraton 8s, what battery size I should run, or really anything you experienced folks think I should know or should have I would greatly appreciate any and all help.
[/QUOTE I'm also new to this forum. ]Back in the early 80s, I built and customized Tamiya and RC10 1/10 cars. I dropped the hobby in about 1984. A few months ago, I got the "bug" again. I also wanted to go bigger. I bought a Kraton 6s. Wow, things have really changed. I made a few upgrades,(Sealed wheel bearings and metal steering knuckles).I ran it for about 20 minutes. What a blast! I was looking for information on the car, when I came across this forum. That's when I read about the 8s. I bought one. It came a few days ago. What a beast! The batteries haven't arrived yet. When they do, I'll take both cars out and really get the feel of this new generation of RC cars.
Although I am familiar with building "old school" cars, I am definitely a newbie with these new cars.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back