Granite Newby Suggestion for motor Direct swap to brushless

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dazel

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hello all. 100% new to RC as of Dec. 17, 2020 (My sons birthday). Of which I got him the granite Mega. We had so much fun, I got one for my daughter to play with him. [maybe someday I'll get to drive it too, lol :( ].

That said, both trucks, I believe are suffering from the LVC that is common on these. ESC flashing red, steering still working, then turn off/then on and back to business for a bit. Each subsequent off/on less and less time.

I want to eliminate the problem by going brushless, and am not looking to "upgrade" much, but just get longer run times. We've been using 2S-5200mah LiPo and the stock 3300 mAh NiMH. I'm not too worried about burning out gears and such as both have their controllers limited at 50%, and we'll only be using 2S. Plus if we burn out, we upgrade.

So I'm looking for options on direct replacements if there is any for a brushless motor and ESC. Both waterproof as we're in Canada and in the snow a lot!

Can anybody please list off some options I can shop for, or even the right motor and ESC specs that will be an easy swap out?

Thanks all for you understanding and advice!

Thanks for the input. Is that the only one that "fits"? There are many Max10 it seems, which one? is higher or lower kV better?
Does the shaft diameter matter? or does one typically replace the pinion gear too?

Thanks for the input. Is that the only one that "fits"? There are many Max10 it seems, which one? is higher or lower kV better?
Does the shaft diameter matter? or does one typically replace the pinion gear too?
5mm is the stock shaft size. There are many threads on here talking about brushed to brushless

You do not need a brushless motor, only better batteries and charger. Brushless means more speed and power not longer run times. I ran my son’s first RC, an ECX Amp MT brushed fully stock with a 2S Lipo all summer and it tripled the run time from the stock NiMH battery it came with.

What are you using for a charger? Exactly which 2S Lipo are you using? Are you running NiMH in one truck and LiPo in the other always, or switching them? Does the ESC in the Mega have a way to switch between LiPo mode amd NiMH?

Hi, thanks for the input. As I understand it, LVC is limiting my runtimes and the fix is to upgrade to brushless.
By this I mean, the trucks throttle is cutting out, where I get red flashing lights on the ESC, and the servo is still working.

I'd like to eliminate this, and thus, get longer runtimes.
The LiPo's I'm using are only running down about 50%

I am using:
- Stock NiMH 3300 mAh
- 2S DXF 5300 mAh LiPo (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B082T1TDZP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
- Haisito balance charger (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08L3N9Y9N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I have 2 separate trucks, both Granite Mega V3 and am running both 2S LiPo, or both 7S NiMH, but again, being limited by ESC LVC, or as I understand it.

Based from Hours of reading, the cure for this is to upgrade, that's why my OP described that I'm not looking to "upgrade" to 3S, or get the "best" motor, etc. just want to use the batteries to their full capacity is all.

What about this:
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/GTSKYT...ial-Redcat/PRD0T7JS1DDGJ58?rrid=richrelevance
or this:
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/GoolRC...mbo-Set-for-1-10-RC-Car-Truck/PRD4F8NTLK9VM1L

5mm is the stock shaft size. There are many threads on here talking about brushed to brushless
Thanks. I understand there are many posts. But not what I seem to be looking for. Did the search, did maybe 2 days of reading and research, but I still seem to be missing something. Most seem to recommend the castle creations or X10 combo systems, but from what I gather, that is to seriously "upgrade" and they require other modifications for fitment, I believe. I'm looking just to mitigate the LVC issue for longer runtimes, while I guess making 3S capable for future. (I mean, if I'm putting in the time to swap) might as well, right,?

You do not need a brushless motor, only better batteries and charger. Brushless means more speed and power not longer run times. I ran my son’s first RC, an ECX Amp MT brushed fully stock with a 2S Lipo all summer and it tripled the run time from the stock NiMH battery it came with.

What are you using for a charger? Exactly which 2S Lipo are you using? Are you running NiMH in one truck and LiPo in the other always, or switching them? Does the ESC in the Mega have a way to switch between LiPo mode amd NiMH?
^^^This.

If you are going to buy a new motor and ESC you kinda screwed up. You should have just bought a Brushless Granite for $320.
Thanks for the "help" lol. (Considering you haven't recommended anything)
Anyways, I've read the BLX have the same issues with throttle cutting out, so would essentially have had to do the same to that.

Anyways, there are many opinions on here for sure. I'm not you, I'm me.
What works? do you want to help or not?

Are the GoolRC any good? Should I just bite the bullet and get the Castle or the Max10?
Ugg. Why is it so hard to post a simple question on forums.
I've mentioned several times I'm getting THROTTLE CUT OUT!

My throttle cuts out and have to turn off and back on again.
Everything I've read states this is due to the brushless system. Is it wrong? If it is please explain. Also, I seem to be getting really frustrated, but am just asking for help, so I guess, I get what I get, but please help if you can.

I've posted the 5200 mAh 2S batteries I'm using. Is this NOT right for better batteries?

c'mon guys, only one suggestion thus far, and that's the crème de la crème.

Thanks for the "help" lol. (Considering you haven't recommended anything)
Anyways, I've read the BLX have the same issues with throttle cutting out, so would essentially have had to do the same to that.

Anyways, there are many opinions on here for sure. I'm not you, I'm me.
What works? do you want to help or not?

Are the GoolRC any good? Should I just bite the bullet and get the Castle or the Max10?

Ugg. Why is it so hard to post a simple question on forums.
I've mentioned several times I'm getting THROTTLE CUT OUT!

My throttle cuts out and have to turn off and back on again.
Everything I've read states this is due to the brushless system. Is it wrong? If it is please explain. Also, I seem to be getting really frustrated, but am just asking for help, so I guess, I get what I get, but please help if you can.

I've posted the 5200 mAh 2S batteries I'm using. Is this NOT right for better batteries?

c'mon guys, only one suggestion thus far, and that's the crème de la crème.
Your throttle could be cutting out for numerous reasons.
Bad connection between the motor, esc or battery.
Bad brushed motor.
Overheating esc.
Battery voltage is sagging under load kicking on LVC, this happens a lot to cheap no name batteries off of Amazon and eBay and looking at the batteries you linked I would say this is the most likely culprit. At rest the voltage might say it has 3.8v per cell but once a load is applied the voltage will sag down below the LVC threshold.

If you are going to buy a new motor and ESC you kinda screwed up. You should have just bought a Brushless Granite for $320.
^^^This.
Buy cheap. Spend twice $$$ down the road.
Can't look back now. So don't.
Just get a stock 4x4 BLX motor and ESC from Jenny'sRC. Keep your costs down. Run on 2s. For your apparent needs is good enough.
Be advised no RC Electrics are truly "water proof, splash proof or water resistant", despite what any documentation states.
This holds true for Servos, Reciever, Motor and ESC. Even if a Rx is in its Rx box, they accumulate moisture. Running in the wet needs much maintenance immediately afterwards, Electrics can corrode and Bearings and other parts will rust including the screws. It only takes a few hours indoors, after running with out any attention from the wet/snow, for things to corrode and short out. Been there.
Wet is fun but will cost you down the road, and not necessarily right away. The high risk is always there. You will be caught off guard that one time you take them out and find issues.
Good luck.
:cool:
Stay away from GoolRC. Bootleg/knockoff HW stuff IMHO.
Again Buy Cheap. Buy twice.....

Your throttle could be cutting out for numerous reasons.
Bad connection between the motor, esc or battery.
Bad brushed motor.
Overheating esc.
Battery voltage is sagging under load kicking on LVC, this happens a lot to cheap no name batteries off of Amazon and eBay and looking at the batteries you linked I would say this is the most likely culprit. At rest the voltage might say it has 3.8v per cell but once a load is applied the voltage will sag down below the LVC threshold.
Thank you for your suggestion. Cheers! Unfortunately, many are happy with those batteries, and don't have problems with other RC's than Arrma. Hence the brushless path. (Ideally, the money saved on batteries goes towards brushless system to mitigate the issue was the thought)

Thank you for your suggestion. Cheers! Unfortunately, many are happy with those batteries, and don't have problems with other RC's than Arrma. Hence the brushless path. (Ideally, the money saved on batteries goes towards brushless system to mitigate the issue was the thought)
Never base your opinions on a product based on Amazon reviews, at least never read any of the 5 star reviews read the negative and neutral reviews. A vast majority of the 5 star reviews are from people who were "paid" to "review" the product.

I get asked to "review" products quite frequently, basically you buy the product leave a 5 star review with a few pictures and the seller refunds your money minus tax.

^^^This.
Buy cheap. Spend twice $$$ down the road.
Can't look back now. So don't.
Just get a stock 4x4 BLX motor and ESC from Jenny'sRC. Keep your costs down. Run on 2s. For your apparent needs is good enough.
Be advised no RC Electrics are truly "water proof, splash proof or water resistant", despite what any documentation states.
This holds true for Servos, Reciever, Motor and ESC. Even if a Rx is in its Rx box, they accumulate moisture. Running in the wet needs much maintenance immediately afterwards, Electrics can corrode and Bearings and other parts will rust including the screws. It only takes a few hours indoors, after running with out any attention from the wet/snow, for things to corrode and short out. Been there.
Wet is fun but will cost you down the road, and not necessarily right away. The high risk is always there. You will be caught off guard that one time you take them out and find issues.
Good luck.
:cool:
Stay away from GoolRC. Bootleg/knockoff HW stuff IMHO.
Again Buy Cheap. Buy twice.....
I've read numerous posts that the BLX suffers the same fate. That's why I didn't go with it to begin with. Essentially, If I'm going to upgrade anyway, why go with the extra cash for parts I'm likely going to change out. (not considering the upgraded drive train). Part of the purpose was a teaching excersise for the kiddos. If we break something, we learn by replacing it.

Any other suggestions? What about GoolRC, or is the Castle sidewinder or Max10 the best options? what kV? (assuming lower so I don't strip the drivetrain internals)?
Never base your opinions on a product based on Amazon reviews, at least never read any of the 5 star reviews read the negative and neutral reviews. A vast majority of the 5 star reviews are from people who were "paid" to "review" the product.
Yeah, I'm used to weeding out the reviews too, but thanks as well. At least we're getting somewhere now.

So we are still on the only suggestion being the max10? any others?

I've read numerous posts that the BLX suffers the same fate. That's why I didn't go with it to begin with. Essentially, If I'm going to upgrade anyway, why go with the extra cash for parts I'm likely going to change out. (not considering the upgraded drive train). Part of the purpose was a teaching excersise for the kiddos. If we break something, we learn by replacing it.

Any other suggestions? What about GoolRC, or is the Castle sidewinder or Max10 the best options? what kV? (assuming lower so I don't strip the drivetrain internals)?

Yeah, I'm used to weeding out the reviews too, but thanks as well. At least we're getting somewhere now.
Sp we are still on the only suggestion being the max10? any others?

I see this problem on here a lot, and everyone immediately just wants to blame the esc, they go out and get a new esc and they still have the same problem.

That being said I would still ditch the brushed system as most if not all rtr brushed systems are best used as paper weights. I would either go with the 3s BLX system from Jennys like @SrC said or get the Hobbywing Max10 SCT 3660 3200kv combo. Stay away from the Goolrc, Surpass Hobby, or whatever name the seller tosses on their Amazon or eBay cheapo esc they are not good at all. I'm on a Facebook group for the WL Toys 144001 and for some dumb reason everyone gets those Goolrc/Surpass Hobby combos as an "upgrade" from the brushed systems, every day I see post after post of dead and or melted escs. The motors are fine but the escs are pretty bad.

Skip the Sidewinder. AND, Skip GoolRC!!!!
You don't want a stock BLX setup up. Why????
I would get the stock BLX setup for a good price from Jenny'sRC. Run the same gearing and KV as the stock setup. You are running at 50% with 2s. All is good. Your questions have been answered fairly well above in several posts. Perhaps you need to compare stock 4x4 mega specs with the 4x4 BLX specs to understand better. But if you choose an upgrade Brand ESC combo or equivalent, make sure it is 100-120Amps. Best bang for the buck.
You never mentioned all the Hobbywing options. Read up on your options. There are many.

Last edited:
Skip the Sidewinder. AND, Skip GoolRC!!!!
You don't want a stock BXL setup up. Why????
I would get the stock BLX setup for a good price from Jenny'sRC. Run the same gearing and KV as the stock setup. You are running at 50% with 2s. All is good. Your questions have been answered fairly well above in several posts. Perhaps you need to compare stock 4x4 mega specs with the 4x4 BLX specs to understand better. But if you choose an upgrade Brand ESC combo or equivalent, make sure it is 100-120Amps. Best bang for the buck.
You never mentioned all the Hobbywing options. Read up on your options. There are many.
Yeah the Sidewinder 4 is better suited for 1/10 2wd applications, not a good fit for the Arrma 4x4s. The Sidewinder 8th would be a better option than the Sidewinder 4.

Great. Thanks for all the suggestions guys. (BTW, I must of missed some suggestions as I was reading replies, so sorry if I missed something and asked again.)

Cheers!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back