Granite Newby Suggestion for motor Direct swap to brushless

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just came across this thread as my second esc from Surpass just died after running one battery pack through the slush and light snow. My first one was a 60 amp and it melted running through the snow. Today while running my Granite with my barely used 120 amp Surpass esc, it stopped working. The esc automatically turns on when plugged in, when it’s connected to the motor, the motor stutters and it will eventually start running erratically. I’m so done with Surpass escs. The motors are fine. Unfortunately I’ve spent way too much recently on this truck so it’s going to have to sit a while until I can afford a Hobbywing or stock BLX esc.

I just came across this thread as my second esc from Surpass just died after running one battery pack through the slush and light snow. My first one was a 60 amp and it melted running through the snow. Today while running my Granite with my barely used 120 amp Surpass esc, it stopped working. The esc automatically turns on when plugged in, when it’s connected to the motor, the motor stutters and it will eventually start running erratically. I’m so done with Surpass escs. The motors are fine. Unfortunately I’ve spent way too much recently on this truck so it’s going to have to sit a while until I can afford a Hobbywing or stock BLX esc.

JennysRC for a BLX. I can’t see how a 60 amp would last. The big thing is that no matter what they say, those aren’t waterproof. If you run one again coat the connections and such with liquid electrical tape. I’ve had good luck with a cheap TSky 120 amp, but you have to watch how much motor you run.

JennysRC for a BLX. I can’t see how a 60 amp would last. The big thing is that no matter what they say, those aren’t waterproof. If you run one again coat the connections and such with liquid electrical tape. I’ve had good luck with a cheap TSky 120 amp, but you have to watch how much motor you run.
I had a 2900 kv motor on it. I’ve never heard of liquid electrical tape. I’ll have to check it out.

Cheap stuff is a gamble. I’ve had some that run great and some go down in flames. Overall the motors are pretty good. Esc units are mostly bad. Save some money and get the cheap motor but pickup a good used esc 100 or better. Stick to the castle or hw stuff. The BLX esc is good and is a slight discount to the comparable HW unit. I use the rule of getting one higher than you will use. Meaning if you are going to run 3s get a 4s capable esc. If you are going to run 2s get a 3s capable esc. This way you are not taxing the esc at full spec all the time.

Cheap stuff is a gamble. I’ve had some that run great and some go down in flames. Overall the motors are pretty good. Esc units are mostly bad. Save some money and get the cheap motor but pickup a good used esc 100 or better. Stick to the castle or hw stuff. The BLX esc is good and is a slight discount to the comparable HW unit. I use the rule of getting one higher than you will use. Meaning if you are going to run 3s get a 4s capable esc. If you are going to run 2s get a 3s capable esc. This way you are not taxing the esc at full spec all the time.
I paid $50 for my 120 amp Surpass esc. I expected it to perform better than it did. Good rule of thumb with buying higher than I need. I will probably stick to the BLX as castle and HW are a bit out of my price range or will take longer for me to afford one. I now know that I should have bought a 3s blx to begin with. I have sunk over $200 in this Granite so far. Between the three cheap motors and escs as well as the other upgrades I’ve had to do to make it durable. Not to mention the extended chassis and Typhon arms, wheelie bar and wing. It’s no longer fun knowing what I’ve spent on it. Mainly because of the cost of replacing cheap electronics over and over.

I paid $50 for my 120 amp Surpass esc. I expected it to perform better than it did. Good rule of thumb with buying higher than I need. I will probably stick to the BLX as castle and HW are a bit out of my price range or will take longer for me to afford one. I now know that I should have bought a 3s blx to begin with. I have sunk over $200 in this Granite so far. Between the three cheap motors and escs as well as the other upgrades I’ve had to do to make it durable. Not to mention the extended chassis and Typhon arms, wheelie bar and wing. It’s no longer fun knowing what I’ve spent on it. Mainly because of the cost of replacing cheap electronics over and over.

I have had good luck with. $25 TSky 120a ESC on my son’s upgraded ECX Amp. Running a Surpass 3,300 kv motor on 3S. The software is Hobbywing- its shiny light blue but it’s a Hobbywing underneath.

Feel your pain. I could have purchased a brand new Kraton 4s or even 6s and had money left over for what I have spent on a mega conversion” live and learn....lol :mad: The only thing I really spend good money on is the esc and even then I’ll buy them used sometimes. Have a SW4(new) have a Mamba Monster2(new) BLX120(used) GoolRC60 (new) haha. Currently thinning the herd down to 5 RC’’s. Also had a few VXL systems which are ok...not my preference. Motors...meh all the same to some extent. Batteries....meh can get good batteries cheap. Radio...meh can get good radios cheap. Parts I buy used If I can. Learn how to do some simple soldering will go along way as well. oddly enough I have a surpass 120 combo on the way that I picked up in a used RC parts lot.......expect to run it in a typhon if it works.

Never base your opinions on a product based on Amazon reviews, at least never read any of the 5 star reviews read the negative and neutral reviews. A vast majority of the 5 star reviews are from people who were "paid" to "review" the product.

I get asked to "review" products quite frequently, basically you buy the product leave a 5 star review with a few pictures and the seller refunds your money minus tax.
^^^ This.?

A seller did the same with me. An AMZ China seller emailed me after I contacted them directly about a defective servo. They wanted me to explain in detail. I disassembled the whole servo and took many good pictures and sent them back to them by email. They sent me 2 more updated servos like 3 months later via slow boat well after AMZ refunded my money. They tracked it and emailed me just when I got them. They asked me to leave a good review and accept the 2 servos as a gift.:ROFLMAO: And they turned out to be good ones. ?So I gave a 4 star review and stated that the seller had decent customer support after my initial issue and they resolved it. Which they did. But they did solicit a positive review nonetheless. ?‍♂️This happens a lot. AMZ positive reviews are not all honest ones.:mad:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back