Kraton Next Arrma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalani938

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Well I've only had my Kraton for 3 days and I already want another Arrma! I was going to buy a 1/8 CC combo for my Slash 4x4, but in order to do that I'll have to upgrade a ton of parts for it to handle that power. It hit me tonight when adding up all the upgrades that it would be cheaper to just buy a new Arrma Senton instead.

How is the Senton as far as trophy trucks go? I really like the Typhon as well. Any suggestions on which to go with? The Typhon looks a lot like the Kraton under the hood so maybe the Senton would be something different. Thanks for any suggestions guys :)

The Nero is on sale at Tower Hobbies right now for $399. It's about $330 with a coupon. That's a totally different animal than what you have and, I believe, the most inexpensive 6s ARRMA to be had at the moment. Get it while it's hot. The Nero is an amazing truck.

The Nero is on sale at Tower Hobbies right now for $399. It's about $330 with a coupon. That's a totally different animal than what you have and, I believe, the most inexpensive 6s ARRMA to be had at the moment. Get it while it's hot. The Nero is an amazing truck.
Is that the version without the Diff brain?

I agree. The Nero is an awesome truck! I have 2 Neros, 1 Fazon, 1 Kraton, 1 Typhon, and a Senton. If you love the Kraton, you'll love the Nero. The Nero and the Kraton are a ton of fun to bash with. I absolutely love them both. The Senton is a tank but can't go/do what the Nero and Kraton can do. The Typhon is fun but much more of a speed car....I think I've driven it like 3 times...quick as balls but it has its limitations. At the end of the day it depends what you want to do with your next truck. If you are set on getting a sc truck you can't go wrong with the Senton...like I said, it's a tank... but I have a feeling you will end up driving the Kraton more....it's just so much fun.

Is that the version without the Diff brain?

Yes. The 2 Neros I've gotten were both non diff brains but I added them. Not really necessary for bashing, I rarely turn them on. When I do I may turn on the center one for some wheelies. You can add the brain and the diff cheap, just get the parts from ebay. It's easy to install and you can add whatever diffs you want.

Well I've only had my Kraton for 3 days and I already want another Arrma! I was going to buy a 1/8 CC combo for my Slash 4x4, but in order to do that I'll have to upgrade a ton of parts for it to handle that power. It hit me tonight when adding up all the upgrades that it would be cheaper to just buy a new Arrma Senton instead.

How is the Senton as far as trophy trucks go? I really like the Typhon as well. Any suggestions on which to go with? The Typhon looks a lot like the Kraton under the hood so maybe the Senton would be something different. Thanks for any suggestions guys :)

Oh...btw...the Senton and the Typhon chassis's and drive train are exactly the same except the Typhon has slight longer A-arms.

This is great info guys I appreciate it. I won't make my purchase till December 24th when the tower e-cash is available so I've got some time to think about my different options. Do y'all know if tower will let me use my e-cash and a coupon?

This is great info guys I appreciate it. I won't make my purchase till December 24th when the tower e-cash is available so I've got some time to think about my different options. Do y'all know if tower will let me use my e-cash and a coupon?

Yes. The last time I got e-cash I was able to use both the e-cash and a coupon....I think that's how I got most of the diff brain on one of my Neros....lol. it also looks like the Nero sales ends in the 24th also.

For sure. I got my diff brain for free when I bought my Nero and batteries and used the e-cash and coupon a couple weeks later.

Yes. The last time I got e-cash I was able to use both the e-cash and a coupon....I think that's how I got most of the diff brain on one of my Neros....lol. it also looks like the Nero sales ends in the 24th also.
Yes I noticed that as well. Looks like the 24th could be a fun day! Lol

Last edited:
I noticed that non diff Nero on sale at Tower. Was tempted. Here is what is holding me back. I already own a Kraton so I'm not sure the driving experience is that different that I need a Nero. The battery trays popping open often seems very annoying. Overall durability issues in comparison to other Arrmas (from all that I have read). Most importantly, the platform does not seem to be maintenance friendly. I'm not sure it's worth it for me. Leaning towards the Outcast.

As much fun as my Backslash is with 1/8 power, it cost me a grip to essentially convert to 1/8 scale buggy drivetrain durability. MIPs, motor/ESC, hex adapters. ..etc..all really adds up, get another Arrma for sure. Very pricey to bulletproof 1/10 scale stuff, fun but why? The Typhon is a totally different animal than the Kraton, I love mine. Weight to power ratio means ridiculous speed and handling. Fun on and off road with right tires and preload/set up. I may go Outcast hybrid with mine sometime just to wrench and change it up. Have to check yourself when geared up cuz Typhon covers ground crazy fast.

I noticed that non diff Nero on sale at Tower. Was tempted. Here is what is holding me back. I already own a Kraton so I'm not sure the driving experience is that different that I need a Nero. The battery trays popping open often seems very annoying. Overall durability issues in comparison to other Arrmas (from all that I have read). Most importantly, the platform does not seem to be maintenance friendly. I'm not sure it's worth it for me. Leaning towards the Outcast.

I've never had a battery door pop open. If anything, my problem is getting them to open when the release gets full of debris. Lots of the problems with the Nero are really blown out of proportion IMHO. You know how the internet goes, 1 problem gets shared 10,000 times, 10,000 great experiences never get mentioned again. For the money, you won't find a better truck than the Nero for $330. If I didn't already have one I'd snatch one up right now. I just don't NEED it. The weather is crappy so I don't need to spend money I don't have right now on another truck I already own that I won't be driving for months.

For $330 you get a truck that is the guts of the Big Rock and the Fazon which are basically $650 trucks. Add about $100 for the diff brain setup and change the suspension settings and you are pretty much on the same level as those two trucks. Lots of folks talk about the HD components but the still break them so they aren't perfect and you can buy a lot of upgrades with the money you save. I honestly can't believe they're selling the Nero so cheap. It's the best deal anywhere right now.

I've never had a battery door pop open. If anything, my problem is getting them to open when the release gets full of debris. Lots of the problems with the Nero are really blown out of proportion IMHO. You know how the internet goes, 1 problem gets shared 10,000 times, 10,000 great experiences never get mentioned again. For the money, you won't find a better truck than the Nero for $330. If I didn't already have one I'd snatch one up right now. I just don't NEED it. The weather is crappy so I don't need to spend money I don't have right now on another truck I already own that I won't be driving for months.

For $330 you get a truck that is the guts of the Big Rock and the Fazon which are basically $650 trucks. Add about $100 for the diff brain setup and change the suspension settings and you are pretty much on the same level as those two trucks. Lots of folks talk about the HD components but the still break them so they aren't perfect and you can buy a lot of upgrades with the money you save. I honestly can't believe they're selling the Nero so cheap. It's the best deal anywhere right now.
Lol, you answered a question I just asked you on another post, sort of. Can you tell me how much harder the Nero is to work on in you opinion compared to something like the Kraton.

It's designed really well for ease of maintenance. The front and rear differentials pop out of the bulkheads with little effort. The center differential and motor mount are a little trickier until you figure out just how you need to do it. After that, it's not hard at all. I installed the diff brain system in about 2 hours before I ever ran my Nero. I have a lot of experience racing RC cars and bashing but I had been out of it for almost 10 years when the Nero got me back in. The twin vertical plate design looks intimidating because everything is caged in but once you remove a few screws, almost everything on the Nero falls right into your hand. It's a really well designed truck with a lot of thought put into the little things.

No matter what kind of RC you're dealing with, if you need to fix or maintain it, there's always something in the way. You will always be taking something off to get to what you need to work on. I had the original HPI Savage. That TVP design was horrendous because you had to completely disassemble half of the truck to get to anything you wanted to work on.

It's designed really well for ease of maintenance. The front and rear differentials pop out of the bulkheads with little effort. The center differential and motor mount are a little trickier until you figure out just how you need to do it. After that, it's not hard at all. I installed the diff brain system in about 2 hours before I ever ran my Nero. I have a lot of experience racing RC cars and bashing but I had been out of it for almost 10 years when the Nero got me back in. The twin vertical plate design looks intimidating because everything is caged in but once you remove a few screws, almost everything on the Nero falls right into your hand. It's a really well designed truck with a lot of thought put into the little things.

No matter what kind of RC you're dealing with, if you need to fix or maintain it, there's always something in the way. You will always be taking something off to get to what you need to work on. I had the original HPI Savage. That TVP design was horrendous because you had to completely disassemble half of the truck to get to anything you wanted to work on.
Yeah, the Kraton is a dream compared to my E-revo which I sold to get the Kraton! Sounds like the Nero, like with anything else just requires getting familiar with it. Would it be fair to say the Nero is not harder to work on than the other Armma 1/8 scales, just maybe more screws to remove?

Yeah, the Kraton is a dream compared to my E-revo which I sold to get the Kraton! Sounds like the Nero, like with anything else just requires getting familiar with it. Would it be fair to say the Nero is not harder to work on than the other Armma 1/8 scales, just maybe more screws to remove?

I don't even know if there's more screws to remove....Take a look at some of the videos about how the front and rear diffs come out. take off the bumpers and three of the drive shaft pins and they literally slide out of the bulkheads. Then 3 screws to open the case and you're in. Its crazy how quickly you can get into the guts of the truck. I can change the push rod ends without even taking the tires off. I've never broken a shock rod end and only two push rod ends so I can't say what the shock rod ends would be like but the lay down shocks are very easy to access.

Like I said, the biggest pain is the center diff but that's because you have to take the motor mounts out and separate the diff and motor to pull the case apart. It takes more time but once you learn how to angle it to slide it out of the TVPs its not hard at all.

I don't even know if there's more screws to remove....Take a look at some of the videos about how the front and rear diffs come out. take off the bumpers and three of the drive shaft pins and they literally slide out of the bulkheads. Then 3 screws to open the case and you're in. Its crazy how quickly you can get into the guts of the truck. I can change the push rod ends without even taking the tires off. I've never broken a shock rod end and only two push rod ends so I can't say what the shock rod ends would be like but the lay down shocks are very easy to access.

Like I said, the biggest pain is the center diff but that's because you have to take the motor mounts out and separate the diff and motor to pull the case apart. It takes more time but once you learn how to angle it to slide it out of the TVPs its not hard at all.
You're starting to convince me to buy it. I've been waiting for the Outcast to come back in stock. Hmmm. If the E-cash was still going on I'd put it in my cart right now.

You're starting to convince me to buy it. I've been waiting for the Outcast to come back in stock. Hmmm. If the E-cash was still going on I'd put it in my cart right now.

I'm kind of waiting on the Outcast too but I'm months away from being able to run outside with any regularity so I'm in no hurry. And who knows what Arrma will come out with by Spring.

All I can say is that the Nero is worth the $499 they usually get for it. It's a completely different platform than all of the buggy based trucks and cars that ARRMA makes. It's not perfect by any means but its big, powerful and puts a huge grin on my face every time I take it out for a spin. It's a lot more durable than most folks would lead you to believe. Remember that you're only hearing about the problems on here because that's what a forum like this is for. People come here for help fixing their trucks. They don't often post about an uneventful drive through the back yard.

I'm kind of waiting on the Outcast too but I'm months away from being able to run outside with any regularity so I'm in no hurry. And who knows what Arrma will come out with by Spring.

All I can say is that the Nero is worth the $499 they usually get for it. It's a completely different platform than all of the buggy based trucks and cars that ARRMA makes. It's not perfect by any means but its big, powerful and puts a huge grin on my face every time I take it out for a spin. It's a lot more durable than most folks would lead you to believe. Remember that you're only hearing about the problems on here because that's what a forum like this is for. People come here for help fixing their trucks. They don't often post about an uneventful drive through the back yard.
Truth. I just bought it. ;)
FYI, you are now my new Nero expert when I need help.......jk. LOL.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back