Mojave Next build - DBXL-E?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Mojave
  6. Outcast 8s
  7. Typhon 6s
Up to last month had a Kraton 6s and Typhon 6s. Decided to get a truck in July, thought I was going to go with the Losi SBR2 but at the last minute picked up the Mojave. Love it. Since then haven’t really driven the Typhon so decided to truggify it which has been a fun project. Waiting on some parts to rebuild the dif so haven’t driven that yet, but have been thinking about what’s next for a project this winter. I’ve always wanted a Losi DBXL-E, so was thinking maybe pick up the new version and a Castle 1100kv setup. But am I going buggy overload - Typhon, Mojave (not really a SCT), and another buggy now? I’m thinking the truggified Typhon will be different enough, but will the DBXLE2 overlap with the Mojave too much? Appreciate any feedback from Mojave/SBR2/DBXLE owners!
Up to last month had a Kraton 6s and Typhon 6s. Decided to get a truck in July, thought I was going to go with the Losi SBR2 but at the last minute picked up the Mojave. Love it. Since then haven’t really driven the Typhon so decided to truggify it which has been a fun project. Waiting on some parts to rebuild the dif so haven’t driven that yet, but have been thinking about what’s next for a project this winter. I’ve always wanted a Losi DBXL-E, so was thinking maybe pick up the new version and a Castle 1100kv setup. But am I going buggy overload - Typhon, Mojave (not really a SCT), and another buggy now? I’m thinking the truggified Typhon will be different enough, but will the DBXLE2 overlap with the Mojave too much? Appreciate any feedback from Mojave/SBR2/DBXLE owners!
Oh and in case anyone is wondering, the Kraton gets driven all the time, just not by me (unfortunately!) - my wife has essentially claimed it! I am hoping the truggified Typhon will fill my Kraton void 😆
Also forgot to mention driving style is pure bashing, tons of well groomed big fields around us, a few hills to jump leading up to the fields but nothing really big. Have some sand dunes around the corner too but destroyed the Typhon bearings doing that (replaced with Fast Eddy and rear CVDs now) but too nervous to go back there given the amount of repair time for 20 minutes of fun.

Last edited:
Funny about the K6.......my wife drives it......actually bought it for her and she digs bashing/breaking it.

Onto the DBXL2.
Don't wait another day, buy it. It's totally different than the Mojave. It's a big giant mawfuggin animal dude.......out of the box, kinda slow but a beautiful rig. I have heavily modified mine into what it is today. Hobbywing Max5 combo, FID aluminum all around, Hub extenders to make the rig wider, endless other blingy bits. Easy to work on, very robust. Throw an 18 tooth pinion on right away....

It bashes well and jumps far but it cant be bashed like an Xmaxx or K8........I wouldn't try to backflip it. (Thunder RC on YouTube does but he pays for it….check his channel…..he has no fear and is fun to watch).
Body panels can be a pain in the ass. Tilt up function of the entire body/roll cage is a blessing and a curse at the same time.

If you have any questions let me know, I'm pretty familiar with this rig. I'll post a pic or two in the next minute or so.

cheers,
kev
08B44C1C-2921-4368-A2E3-644C51094E9D.jpeg

2ADB652E-DEAC-4379-A1D2-37ADE1AEA901.jpeg

48F57748-F7CD-48AB-AC67-2A0EC94797FA.jpeg
B7539F31-40BD-4154-928A-FBF4AB75E8E1.jpeg

Last edited:
Funny about the K6.......my wife drives it......actually bought it for her and she digs bashing/breaking it.

Onto the DBXL2.
Don't wait another day, buy it. It's totally different than the Mojave. It's a big giant mawfuggin animal dude.......out of the box, kinda slow but a beautiful rig. I have heavily modified mine into what it is today. Hobbywing Max5 combo, FID aluminum all around, Hub extenders to make the rig wider, endless other blingy bits. Easy to work on, very robust. Throw an 18 tooth pinion on right away....

It bashes well and jumps far but it cant be bashed like an Xmaxx or K8........I wouldn't try to backflip it. (Thunder RC on YouTube does but he pays for it….check his channel…..he has no fear and is fun to watch).
Body panels can be a pain in the ass. Tilt up function of the entire body/roll cage is a blessing and a curse at the same time.

If you have any questions let me know, I'm pretty familiar with this rig. I'll post a pic or two in the next minute or so.

cheers,
kev
View attachment 165663
View attachment 165664
View attachment 165665View attachment 165666
WOW that is a mechanical work of friggin art...wow!!! I hope one day to mod one that much.

Onto the DBXL2.

cheers,
kev
View attachment 165663
View attachment 165664
View attachment 165665View attachment 165666
Killer. Love the camo. I hear you on the body panels, that’l was a big factor in choosing the Mojave over the SBR2. I played around with the flip on my Dad’s lasernut, kind of cool but the biggest issue is my workspace under the stairs isn’t tall enough from my desk surface to flip it up (I think), so will have to take It off each time to work on it. Oh well. I think you sold me lol. So how come you didn’t go the Castle route?

So from what I’ve read on the Losi Facebook group seems most people have gone 8s 1100kv xlx2 setup over 12s 800kv flier 400a….from what I can gather the 1100kv setups benefit from lighter weight and higher current draw. Any feedback from folks here?

Also anyone to mods to fit bigger batteries?

DBXL-E 2.0 arrives tomorrow! Parts are starting to trickle in too…so far have ordered:
-Fast Eddy Bearings (do I need ceramics in the dif?)
-18T and 22T pinion (couldn’t decide lol)
-46T spur
-Aluminum front and rear chassis braces, top plate and servo saver
-DGI v2 wheel extenders
-Hitec 845WP (still need arms - any suggestions since DGI adjustable ones are out of stock?)
-Castle fan shroud
-Thanks to @Malice XLX2 w/ 800KV motor
-RadioLink radio of course
-QS8 connectors

Probably just missing MX43s and some bigger 4s batteries.

Think I’m gonna try 100k rear / 500k center / 300k front, any feedback?

Last edited:
I ended up putting 20 million in the Center diff and 100k front and rear. I have a monster locker for the Center diff but haven’t tried it yet……after watching Exocaged YouTube video, I may never install it as his failed very quickly.

Good luck with the rig dude…….you’re going to love it.

cheers,
kev

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back