NiMh Battery with IC5/EC5 Connector?

PoorInRichfield

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
Newbie Alert! :woot:

I'm looking for a NiMH battery (for a Typhon 3S) that comes with the IC5 / EC5 connector already installed and am not finding such a beast. Anyone know where I can get such batteries? I'd prefer high capacity 8.4v, but 7.2v will be fine if that's all there is.

** Update **
For other newbies... NiMH batteries can be purchased with EC3 connectors and LiPo batteries can be purchased EC5 connectors, but there's no NiHM battery on the market with an EC5 connector already. As such, one has the choice of either purchasing an adapter or cutting off the existing connector and soldering on an EC5 or IC5 connector.

I decided to purchase some IC5 connectors which I'll have to solder on. This allows me to look for whatever the cheapest price battery is available and not care about the connector or have to keep buying an endless supply of adapters.

The IC5 connector is yet another proprietary connector type from Spektrum, a Horizon Hobby / Tower Hobbies brand, for use with their "Smart Technology" battery system. This explains why there aren't any IC5 batteries available that aren't Spektrum batteries. Luckily, the IC5 connector works with the generic EC5 standard.

Screenshot 2020-10-16 072857.jpg

Last edited:

jondilly1974

Speed running apprentice, 3D printing fool
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Solutions
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 6s
  4. Typhon 3s
You could always change your connector if you have a soldering iron.

PoorInRichfield

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
Or run 2s lipos🤦🏻‍♂️
I'm trying to justify using LiPo batteries and so far the "cons" still out-weigh the "pros" for my purposes of which I only use my car a few times a year at best. For one, I don't want to deal with the potential fire hazards associated with LiPo batteries... my house is worth more to me than my RC car ;) That and I've watched a few videos comparing the Typhon using NiMh and a LiPo and there wasn't a noticeable difference in speed. The lower price of NiMH and ease of use are currently a deciding factors in using them.

jondilly1974

Speed running apprentice, 3D printing fool
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Solutions
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 6s
  4. Typhon 3s
I'm trying to justify using LiPo batteries and so far the "cons" still out-weigh the "pros" for my purposes of which I only use my car a few times a year at best. For one, I don't want to deal with the potential fire hazards associated with LiPo batteries... my house is worth more to me than my RC car ;) That and I've watched a few videos comparing the Typhon using NiMh and a LiPo and there wasn't a noticeable difference in speed. The lower price of NiMH and ease of use are currently a deciding factors in using them.
I get the fear of lipos. The risk is real if you don’t take precautions. Just like leaving a loaded firearm out for kids to play with. Something bad could happen. Now you can mitigate these risks by storing and charging them more carefully, but it’s a risk you have to take. No way of absolving 100% of risk.

PoorInRichfield

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
Now you can mitigate these risks by storing and charging them more carefully, but it’s a risk you have to take. No way of absolving 100% of risk.
I've watched about a million videos on LiPo safety because I'd like to go that route, but my $300 RC car just isn't worth risking my ~$300k house and everyone in it. :oops: I do like the idea of the Bat-Safe and will likely go that route if I ever go LiPo, but even that boxes isn't a guarantee.

jkflow

Premium Member!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Talion
Outdoor grill is my solution. I'd say a healthy respect is needed and you have to learn some basics, after that it's low risk but understand the concern.
Not aware of Nimh with EC5/IC5. Keep in mind that these connectors are for high current applications and by default Nimhs will never have this requirement.

I just soldered a bunch of EC5 to my lipos and it's not fun for an experienced person, but doable. I would not use IC5, they melt easily when soldering and are 3x the price.

Last edited:

PoorInRichfield

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
Problem solved.

I purchased this AWANFI 8.4V NiMH 4200mAh 7-Cell Hump Pack RC Battery 2-pack ($44) along, 2 Spektrum IC5 Battery Connectors (SPMXCA501), and a Spektrum Charger Adapter (SPMXCA504).

Maybe beginner's luck, but I found it easy to solder the IC5 connectors on. I rigged-up a connector holder and battery holder as shown below. Per the instruction manual for my soldering gun, it states to tin the wire ends first, so I tinned both the wire end and the connector. The manual also states that it's a good idea to connect something metal to the object being soldered to dissipate heat and prevent melting. As such, my bicycle chain breaker fit well into the connector hole, so I used that as the heat sync. Maybe that's why I didn't have issues with melting?

Note that the clamps on the battery that are holding it in-place are hardly squeezing the battery. :geek:

PXL_20201021_010451817.MP.jpg

PXL_20201021_011537579.MP.jpg

I now feel like an "expert" at soldering batter connectors on after doing a whole 2 of them. :whistle: I can now indefinitely delay the switch to LiPo on my Typhon and sleep easier knowing that my house isn't likely going to burn down... at least not from my RC car batteries!