Nitro HPI RSR Porsche 911 RTR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velodromed

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton 4s
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Vorteks
  8. Voltage
  9. Infraction 4x4
Is this car decent? I’m familiar with the brand but do not know anything about nitro. It looks like I’m about to become the proud owner of it later today lol.

07DBC869-2A80-44F7-ABFA-D149AAE32F45.jpeg

Is this car decent? I’m familiar with the brand but do not know anything about nitro. It looks like I’m about to become the proud owner of it later today lol.

View attachment 259400
I used to have a RSR in the early 2000’s. Fun car. I can’t remember having many issues with it. I do remember I slapped a Picco .21 and a two speed trans in it and it was pretty quick.

View attachment 259400

Has it been run? If it has, I'd pull the engine down and change the crank bearings.. check the piston / liner fit as well, doesn't take much to burn them down.. inspect the squish band for element peppering..

Another thing to pay close attention to is the condition of the crank drum.. poor engine care can leave the crank drum rusty, compromising the crank / case fit.. If the fit becomes to far out of tolerance it will introduce a vacuum leak which will lead to poor tunability (never get the needles right)...

Those factory nitro star 15's left plenty to be desired.. but if it's decent and runs, run it until it doesn't.. Then find yourself a o.s .18 tz, the port timings, squish and bubble volumes in those were killer!.. it would be a direct bolt in as well, the 15-18's used the same bolt center to center..👍

Has it been run? If it has, I'd pull the engine down and change the crank bearings.. check the piston / liner fit as well, doesn't take much to burn them down.. inspect the squish band for element peppering..

Another thing to pay close attention to is the condition of the crank drum.. poor engine care can leave the crank drum rusty, compromising the crank / case fit.. If the fit becomes to far out of tolerance it will introduce a vacuum leak which will lead to poor tunability (never get the needles right)...

Those factory nitro star 15's left plenty to be desired.. but if it's decent and runs, run it until it doesn't.. Then find yourself a o.s .18 tz, the port timings, squish and bubble volumes in those were killer!.. it would be a direct bolt in as well, the 15-18's used the same bolt center to center..👍
He I ran it a few times then put it back in the box and stored it in his garage for years. He has seen my kid and I run our RC cars at the park for quite a while, so he offered it to me yesterday. It’ll be an interesting little project. I’m thinking it’s in great shape but won’t know till I get it.

He I ran it a few times then put it back in the box and stored it in his garage for years. He has seen my kid and I run our RC cars at the park for quite a while, so he offered it to me yesterday. It’ll be an interesting little project. I’m thinking it’s in great shape but won’t know till I get it.

Yeah, pull that engine down for sure when you get it... Best way to store nitro engines is pickled in atf.. I'd suspect after this long the engine is likely stuck and or rusted internally...

Before trying to turn it over pull the backplate and have a look inside the crank case, be able to see all from there..👍... If in fact it's just stuck from aged castor, a dipping sauce sized crockpot with glycol (antifreeze) will free it up after a long hot soak..

After every run it's best practice to cycle atf through the engine until you get a nice red fluid color out plug hole..

Enjoy the new rig man..👍

Yeah, pull that engine down for sure when you get it... Best way to store nitro engines is pickled in atf.. I'd suspect after this long the engine is likely stuck and or rusted internally...

Before trying to turn it over pull the backplate and have a look inside the crank case, be able to see all from there..👍... If in fact it's just stuck from aged castor, a dipping sauce sized crockpot with glycol (antifreeze) will free it up after a long hot soak..

After every run it's best practice to cycle atf through the engine until you get a nice red fluid color out plug hole..

Enjoy the new rig man..👍
Thank you! I’m sure I’ll be asking for more help. It’ll probably be shelved for right now until I get a few other projects done. Figure it will be a nice thing to mess with during January and February.

@Camaroboy383 hit some good points. I didn't know OS made a pull start for the TZ, then I looked. What a shame, I could have had much more fun 12 years ago. Back then you could only bump those.

Personally, I'd throw that engine at the trash can even if it was brand new. If you install a TZ, be prepared for massive power and possible gear salad. The TZ is a rabid animal and instantly revs up ear piercing RPM's. It's been known to make the same power as a race .21 engine. Don't forget the pipe, it makes the engine! VP-20% is your best friend with that engine.

If that stock engines piston was left at TDC, it's a paper weight.

Well I finally got it. There’s no body and it’s definitely been driven. I love the 4 wheel belt drive. Kinda geeking out on it. The motor is frozen it seems. There’s another old motor included so figure it was driven often. The tires seem near new though.

Not sure what to do with it now. I think when the kid gets back from out of town we will look it over and have fun tinkering with it. Maybe we can use the shocks and tires on another one of our small cars. It’s definitely nothing I want to put money into, not really interested in gas powered and it appears pretty old. The remote is huge with a telescoping antenna. It’s cool though.

C8ED7FFE-1CE4-42BB-B0CF-217B185C26C8.jpeg

3DBF201B-280A-4272-AD9D-427E08030B38.jpeg

27999108-5AB3-4736-BB92-9F9918F02EEB.jpeg

D3833977-9D38-49CF-B322-18B393456BD9.jpeg

B7131132-AECA-49CF-A056-3DCD7110F781.jpeg

593C07B5-0920-4C97-88F3-275AFE1E0D5F.jpeg

699B037B-CE58-47DF-B7C1-1D0231C65892.jpeg

4B0D5E38-D2F3-4758-90E6-3879999B3478.jpeg

ADEE8356-8F71-4A49-9CDC-4A367A22057B.jpeg

1705409C-F732-436E-92CF-9DA829154FCF.jpeg

Man, I’d have a blast with that thing! Was the piston left at BDC?
I’ve no clue lol. I had a team associated nitro car in the mid-90s, but haven’t touched one since. The kid and I’ll figure out what to do with it when she returns.

Dipping sauce sized crockpot with straight glycol... Pull the carb, pull start/backing plate, and cylinder head.. dump the whole thing in the crock pot and let it stew for 24hrs..😎... It will free the dried up castor... Then disassemble it when it's freed up.. go from there

Dipping sauce sized crockpot with straight glycol... Pull the carb, pull start/backing plate, and cylinder head.. dump the whole thing in the crock pot and let it stew for 24hrs..😎... It will free the dried up castor... Then disassemble it when it's freed up.. go from there
‘Honey!! WTF is in the crock pot?!?’
Hmm…I’ll have to think about it 😂

Thanks man, not sure if I’ll want to do that but if I’d do, I’ll definitely ask y’all’s help.

View attachment 259400
This was my first nitro road car... I still have the car, but not the body or the electronics. I had many fun days blasting this thing around parking lots!

I'm not sure if you're a Facebook person, but there's a group dedicated to the HPI RS4 vehicles.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back